VM Crashes

Camillo Bruni-3
To join in again, my regression tests still seem to fail loading.
So it looks like a similar effect as what sven experiences!

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-2.0-Regression-Tests/VM=PharoVM,label=mac/110/console

Re: VM Crashes

Eliot Miranda-2
List,

    I hope you realize I'm motivated to investigate VM crashes.
Esteban reports that the VM is now more stable w.r.t. becomeForward:
after I debugged load cases a couple of week ago.  But I could do with
some help.  It really helps to be provided with an image that
reproduces the bug in start-up.  e.g. evaluating a doit that saves and
then invokes crashing code:

      Smalltalk saveAs: 'crash'.
      Gofer it
              url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository';
              package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
              load.
        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFFI) project stableVersion load.

This saves me a lot of time.  I have a day job that does not pay me to
investigate Cog crashes.  Your help is most appreciated.

--
best,
Eliot

Re: VM Crashes

stephane ducasse

> List,
>
>    I hope you realize I'm motivated to investigate VM crashes.
> Esteban reports that the VM is now more stable w.r.t. becomeForward:
> after I debugged load cases a couple of week ago.  But I could do with
> some help.  It really helps to be provided with an image that
> reproduces the bug in start-up.  e.g. evaluating a doit that saves and
> then invokes crashing code:
>
>      Smalltalk saveAs: 'crash'.
>      Gofer it
>              url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository';
>              package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
>              load.
>        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFFI) project stableVersion load.
>
> This saves me a lot of time.  I have a day job that does not pay me to
> investigate Cog crashes.  Your help is most appreciated.

Your too.
Yes getting reproducible cases is a key aspect.
Esteban and Igor spent some days checking for this and other problems (that nicolas experienced on his servers).

Stef