VM Plugins that are important for performance?

VM Plugins that are important for performance?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi all:

From your experience, what are the important VM plugins to gain a snappy and responsive Pharo image.

Stef mentioned the Font plugin, but will this improve the user experience or is it just nice to have to support different kinds of fonts?

The reason for my question is the 'performance hit' I have to take with the RoarVM for the moment.
So, if there are things typically done in plugins which now running in Smalltalk on the RoarVM, then I guess I could benefit by including those plugins.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: VM Plugins that are important for performance?

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 10.11.2010 14:36, Stefan Marr wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> From your experience, what are the important VM plugins to gain a snappy and responsive Pharo image.
>
> Stef mentioned the Font plugin, but will this improve the user experience or is it just nice to have to support different kinds of fonts?
>
> The reason for my question is the 'performance hit' I have to take with the RoarVM for the moment.
> So, if there are things typically done in plugins which now running in Smalltalk on the RoarVM, then I guess I could benefit by including those plugins.

Do you have the MiscPrimitivePlugin?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: VM Plugins that are important for performance?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi Philippe:

On 10 Nov 2010, at 22:00, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 10.11.2010 14:36, Stefan Marr wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> From your experience, what are the important VM plugins to gain a snappy and responsive Pharo image.
>>
>> Stef mentioned the Font plugin, but will this improve the user experience or is it just nice to have to support different kinds of fonts?
>>
>> The reason for my question is the 'performance hit' I have to take with the RoarVM for the moment.
>> So, if there are things typically done in plugins which now running in Smalltalk on the RoarVM, then I guess I could benefit by including those plugins.
>
> Do you have the MiscPrimitivePlugin?
Yes, the current list of plugins is:

B2DPlugin
B3DAcceleratorPlugin
BitBltPlugin
FilePlugin
FloatArrayPlugin
LargeIntegers
Matrix2x3Plugin
MiscPrimitivePlugin
RePlugin
SocketPlugin
SoundPlugin
UnixOSProcessPlugin

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: VM Plugins that are important for performance?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> From your experience, what are the important VM plugins to gain a snappy and responsive Pharo image.
>
> Stef mentioned the Font plugin, but will this improve the user experience or is it just nice to have to support different kinds of fonts?
>
> The reason for my question is the 'performance hit' I have to take with the RoarVM for the moment.

I doubt any plugin changes the performance of #tinyBenchmarks. But the
following plugins make a huge difference in other benchmarks and GUI
performance:
- MiscPrimitivePlugin
- LargeIntegers
- FloatMathPlugin
- FloatArrayPlugin
- Matrix2x3Plugin
- B2DPlugin

Levente

> So, if there are things typically done in plugins which now running in Smalltalk on the RoarVM, then I guess I could benefit by including those plugins.
>
> Thanks
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 2974
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: VM Plugins that are important for performance?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:34:44AM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Stefan Marr wrote:
>
> >Hi all:
> >
> >From your experience, what are the important VM plugins to gain a snappy
> >and responsive Pharo image.
> >
> >Stef mentioned the Font plugin, but will this improve the user experience
> >or is it just nice to have to support different kinds of fonts?
> >
> >The reason for my question is the 'performance hit' I have to take with
> >the RoarVM for the moment.
>
> I doubt any plugin changes the performance of #tinyBenchmarks. But the
> following plugins make a huge difference in other benchmarks and GUI
> performance:
> - MiscPrimitivePlugin
> - LargeIntegers
> - FloatMathPlugin
> - FloatArrayPlugin
> - Matrix2x3Plugin
> - B2DPlugin

DeflatePlugin is also important. It has a large impact on performance
when using Monticello.

Dave

Re: VM Plugins that are important for performance?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi Levente:

On 11 Nov 2010, at 00:34, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> I doubt any plugin changes the performance of #tinyBenchmarks. But the following plugins make a huge difference in other benchmarks and GUI performance:
> - MiscPrimitivePlugin
> - LargeIntegers
> - FloatMathPlugin
> - FloatArrayPlugin
> - Matrix2x3Plugin
> - B2DPlugin

Are you sure about FloatMathPlugin?
I haven't found any usage of it. Neither in Squeak 4.1 nor in Pharo 1.2.

Thanks
Stefan

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Levente:
>

> On 11 Nov 2010, at 00:34, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> I doubt any plugin changes the performance of #tinyBenchmarks. But the following plugins make a huge difference in other benchmarks and GUI performance:
>> - MiscPrimitivePlugin
>> - LargeIntegers
>> - FloatMathPlugin
>> - FloatArrayPlugin
>> - Matrix2x3Plugin
>> - B2DPlugin
>
> Are you sure about FloatMathPlugin?
> I haven't found any usage of it. Neither in Squeak 4.1 nor in Pharo 1.2.

Yeah, it's not used at the moment, but it if the primitives are used, then
some codes get much faster without a JIT (I don't know if it's faster or
slower with Cog).
So, you're right, the current images don't need/use it. Therefore it
doesn't make a difference.

Levente