VM , modules, packages and plugins

Igor Stasenko
Seeing another thread about "is XYZ plugin there or not" or "what may
cause prim fail"
i REALLY suggest that we should stop and think..
This plugin's usage logic is inherently flawed.. (or i would say outdated)

What i would like to see one day is when i installing new code into
image, it pops up a message:
"Your VM missing an XYZ plugin for running this cool code, would you
like to download and install it? Yes No "

In case of Pharo, we should really start thinking about delivering
quality grade solutions, not something
which might work if you properly jump 2 times and whistle 7 times
while faced North"...

Look at what the practices which become common today in modern
browsers, and OSes - they updating themselves without a notice
and just asking you to restart it time to time. Why we cannot do the same?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: VM , modules, packages and plugins

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I agree, except for silent updates.  One should at know what is happening, and further be able to run a "broken" mixture, if only for debugging.

Re: VM , modules, packages and plugins

Goubier Thierry
Le 28/06/2012 00:48, Igor Stasenko a écrit :

> Seeing another thread about "is XYZ plugin there or not" or "what may
> cause prim fail"
> i REALLY suggest that we should stop and think..
> This plugin's usage logic is inherently flawed.. (or i would say outdated)
>
> What i would like to see one day is when i installing new code into
> image, it pops up a message:
> "Your VM missing an XYZ plugin for running this cool code, would you
> like to download and install it? Yes No "
>
> In case of Pharo, we should really start thinking about delivering
> quality grade solutions, not something
> which might work if you properly jump 2 times and whistle 7 times
> while faced North"...
>
> Look at what the practices which become common today in modern
> browsers, and OSes - they updating themselves without a notice
> and just asking you to restart it time to time. Why we cannot do the same?

What about using something existing, user-level (for Unix/linux and OSX
guys) such as 0install ? I'm using it for part of my desktop and it does
the update/search dependencies/compile if needed. I don't think making
Pharo plugins and VM available in the 0install system would be hard.

http://0install.net/

(and it would work in allmost as many platform as Pharo does).

It would only require some space to host the feeds and the files.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list

On 28 June 2012 09:26, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 28/06/2012 00:48, Igor Stasenko a écrit :
>
>> Seeing another thread about "is XYZ plugin there or not" or "what may
>> cause prim fail"
>> i REALLY suggest that we should stop and think..
>> This plugin's usage logic is inherently flawed.. (or i would say outdated)
>>
>> What i would like to see one day is when i installing new code into
>> image, it pops up a message:
>> "Your VM missing an XYZ plugin for running this cool code, would you
>> like to download and install it? Yes No "
>>
>> In case of Pharo, we should really start thinking about delivering
>> quality grade solutions, not something
>> which might work if you properly jump 2 times and whistle 7 times
>> while faced North"...
>>
>> Look at what the practices which become common today in modern
>> browsers, and OSes - they updating themselves without a notice
>> and just asking you to restart it time to time. Why we cannot do the same?
>>

> What about using something existing, user-level (for Unix/linux and OSX
> guys) such as 0install ? I'm using it for part of my desktop and it does the
> update/search dependencies/compile if needed. I don't think making Pharo
> plugins and VM available in the 0install system would be hard.
>
> http://0install.net/
>
> (and it would work in allmost as many platform as Pharo does).
>
> It would only require some space to host the feeds and the files.

That's not a problem nowadays :)
Yes, this project is interesting.

Igor Stasenko.

On 28 June 2012 04:03, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree, except for silent updates.  One should at know what is happening, and further be able to run a "broken" mixture, if only for debugging.

i just mentioned silent updates to demonstrate what current practices
are, and where we are comparing to it
 by throwing errors with no information, leaving users clueless what
might be causing it.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.