VM porting help: ioShowDisplay always called with empty (all 0's) buffer

VM porting help: ioShowDisplay always called with empty (all 0's) buffer

Alex Franchuk

Hey all,

I'm in the process of porting Squeak to Plan9, but for some reason when
ioShowDisplay is called, its buffer is all 0's, resulting in a black box
to be drawn where the Squeak environment ought to be! The system is
i386, and is not 100% POSIX, but has enough ANSI things to compile the
VM with relatively little pain.

Does anyone have advice about why this might happen, or some insight
into where to look for the cause?

I've tried to look at the Unix implementation where appropriate, but it
seems I'm performing similar logic for most of the platform functions.
Mind you, Unix and Plan9 are quite a bit different.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: VM porting help: ioShowDisplay always called with empty (all 0's) buffer

johnmci

This particular question could be answered by the documentation found on https://isqueak.org/ioForceDisplayUpdate or https://isqueak.org/displayioShowDisplay

However I discovered that isqueak.org was down due to a PHP change. So I decided as one of the owners of that site to pull it back into my main server infrastructure and update the software to more current versions, along with supporting HTTPS.

I looked at turning user registration on, but in testing that feature within no less than 5 minutes a spam bot registered and started creating garbage pages!

Thus if anyone wants a user id/password please contact me directly.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey all,

I'm in the process of porting Squeak to Plan9, but for some reason when ioShowDisplay is called, its buffer is all 0's, resulting in a black box to be drawn where the Squeak environment ought to be! The system is i386, and is not 100% POSIX, but has enough ANSI things to compile the VM with relatively little pain.

Does anyone have advice about why this might happen, or some insight into where to look for the cause?

I've tried to look at the Unix implementation where appropriate, but it seems I'm performing similar logic for most of the platform functions. Mind you, Unix and Plan9 are quite a bit different.

Thanks,
Alex

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: VM porting help: ioShowDisplay always called with empty (all 0's) buffer

David T. Lewis

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:12:17AM -0700, John McIntosh wrote:

> This particular question could be answered by the documentation found on
> https://isqueak.org/ioForceDisplayUpdate or
> https://isqueak.org/displayioShowDisplay
>
> However I discovered that isqueak.org was down due to a PHP change. So I
> decided as one of the owners of that site to pull it back into my main
> server infrastructure and update the software to more current versions,
> along with supporting HTTPS.
>
> I looked at turning user registration on, but in testing that feature
> within no less than 5 minutes a spam bot registered and started creating
> garbage pages!
>
> Thus if anyone wants a user id/password please contact me directly.

John,

Thanks very much for bringing this service back on line. The VM API
documentation is the best reference we have on this topic.

Dave