VM question

12

VM question

Mark Pirogovsky-3
The VW virtual machine for win32 platform comes in two flavors i.e
single executable -- Visual.exe or
executable and library
  VWnt.exe + vwntoe.dll

I vaguely remember some discussion on the advantages of running  exe
with dll versus single EXE.

Can anybody shed a light on the differences and advantages or
disadvantages of each ?

TIA

--Mark

Re: VM question

Dennis smith-4
Can someone indicate when we should be using vwnt instead of visual then??
I use DLLCC (mostly for Gemstone) -- I don't have any UserPrim things so far as I know.

--
Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Steven Kelly
Message
I'm not the expert, but maybe this is better than nothing, and hopefully basically in the right direction even if some of the details aren't right:
For production versions of shrink-wrapped software, I'd say use visual, with the image compressed and added as a resource with the tools from packaging\win. That gives a single .exe, which is smallest and easiest for users. Use vwnt when you want to have C programs make low level calls to the VM (the OE API, which I think hardly anyone uses), or if you're writing your own user primitives (which at least earlier involved recompiling the VM), or if you want to have slightly more information in the event of a VM crash (the symbols, i.e. C function names, are stripped from visual.exe, so a debugger can't tell you where it crashed other than a memory location).

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Martin McClure
Dennis Smith wrote:
> Can someone indicate when we should be using vwnt instead of visual then??
> I use DLLCC (mostly for Gemstone) -- I don't have any UserPrim things so
> far as I know.

I believe that the general rule is to use vwnt unless you absolutely
must save a few hundred K of disk space. I'm unaware of any other
advantage of the stripped visual.exe.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Steven Kelly
Martin's right in that the "general rule" is the advice I've heard too.
But I'd disagree that "15" counts as "a few" :-). visual.exe is 630KB,
vwnt.exe + DLL is 2170KB.

Simpler deployment is also a plus for visual.exe, in particular with a
reshack'ed image. When using ResHacker, Cincom's WindowsPackaging only
mentions visual.exe - no doubt because ResHacker reduces the number of
files, and imageCompress reduces the size, so they and visual.exe are
useful in the same situations.

The smaller size of visual.exe also may improve startup times: less to
read from the disk.

To look at things another way, if you don't need UserPrims or the OE
API, I'm unaware of any advantage of vwnt.exe. For no advantage, it's
hard to justify adding an extra file and 1.5MB to a product, and
possibly slowing it down at startup.

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Andres Valloud-6
Hello,

For smaller apps and perhaps slightly faster startup times, you may want
to try attaching an uncompressed image to visual.exe, and then
compressing the file with UPX.

http://blogten.blogspot.com/2007/04/tighter-vw-exe-distributions.html

For the Smalltalk Solutions 2007 Coding Contest, the resulting .exe file
packed with UPX was smaller than a .zip file of the VM and the image.

Andres.

Martin's right in that the "general rule" is the advice I've heard too.
But I'd disagree that "15" counts as "a few" :-). visual.exe is 630KB,
vwnt.exe + DLL is 2170KB.

Simpler deployment is also a plus for visual.exe, in particular with a
reshack'ed image. When using ResHacker, Cincom's WindowsPackaging only
mentions visual.exe - no doubt because ResHacker reduces the number of
files, and imageCompress reduces the size, so they and visual.exe are
useful in the same situations.

The smaller size of visual.exe also may improve startup times: less to
read from the disk.

To look at things another way, if you don't need UserPrims or the OE
API, I'm unaware of any advantage of vwnt.exe. For no advantage, it's
hard to justify adding an extra file and 1.5MB to a product, and
possibly slowing it down at startup.

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin's right in that the "general rule" is the advice I've heard too.
But I'd disagree that "15" counts as "a few" :-). visual.exe is 630KB,
vwnt.exe + DLL is 2170KB.

Simpler deployment is also a plus for visual.exe, in particular with a
reshack'ed image. When using ResHacker, Cincom's WindowsPackaging only
mentions visual.exe - no doubt because ResHacker reduces the number of
files, and imageCompress reduces the size, so they and visual.exe are
useful in the same situations.

The smaller size of visual.exe also may improve startup times: less to
read from the disk.

To look at things another way, if you don't need UserPrims or the OE
API, I'm unaware of any advantage of vwnt.exe. For no advantage, it's
hard to justify adding an extra file and 1.5MB to a product, and
possibly slowing it down at startup.

There are two main advantages.
1. vwnt.dll has debug symbols (this is a huge plus when you get bit).
2. there are two .exe's, vwnt.exe and vwntconsole.exe.  The latter is a console app and will run in a console window, reading/writing stdin/stdout, and hence enabling scripting

Further, vwnt.exe does work (ok, should work) with ResHack.

IMO, in these days of DSL and large hard drives visual.exe is an anachronism.

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Steven Kelly
Message

From: Eliot Miranda [mailto:[hidden email]]
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
To look at things another way, if you don't need UserPrims or the OE
API, I'm unaware of any advantage of vwnt.exe.

There are two main advantages.
1. vwnt.dll has debug symbols (this is a huge plus when you get bit).
Is that still useful for shrink-wrapped production software? Or only if the user can run a debugger when the Windows crash dialog appears? When we have VM problems, we switch to using the debug VM anyway. Fortunately such problems are rare on Windows - I don't remember any offhand with the 7.4d VMs we're using.
2. there are two .exe's, vwnt.exe and vwntconsole.exe.  The latter is a console app and will run in a console window, reading/writing stdin/stdout, and hence enabling scripting
vwntconsole.exe is great, although I think that for Dennis, he'd probably know already if he needed it :-)
Further, vwnt.exe does work (ok, should work) with ResHack.
Good to know (ok, would be good to know ;->)
IMO, in these days of DSL and large hard drives visual.exe is an anachronism.
IMHO, it's a powerful statement against global warming and wasteage of natural resources :-). Our competitors apparently follow your thinking to the bitter end, and their download is over 3GB; ours is 20MB. This is only one small factor in comparing products, admittedly, but I'm grateful that you kept making visual.exe when I asked, and that Cincom continue to make it.

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Andre Schnoor
Eliot Miranda schrieb:
> IMO, in these days of DSL and large hard drives visual.exe is an
> anachronism.

Not for shrink-wrapped products. There are good reasons for packing
everything in a single executable. Deploying an extra DLL is not an
option for downloadable updaters. It also complicates the use of copy
protection envelopes that use self-encrypting executables and
anti-debugging measures.

The executable is only one component of a product. Usually there are
many more files and documents that come along with a download, so each
component should be a small as possible. My products for example are
almost 16MB (zipped), although the main executable is only 600k.

The bandwidth and hard disk excuse that comes up frequently is just
that: An excuse.

Andre

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Dennis smith-4
These discussions are great for learning things about the product -- and they
even answer the original question too :)

Thanks to everyone.

Eliot Miranda wrote:
The difference is in DLLCC.  The .exe/.dll combination works correctly for the OE and UserPrim APIs, the single .exe does not.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Mark Pirogovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
The VW virtual machine for win32 platform comes in two flavors i.e
single executable -- Visual.exe or
executable and library
 VWnt.exe + vwntoe.dll

I vaguely remember some discussion on the advantages of running  exe
with dll versus single EXE.

Can anybody shed a light on the differences and advantages or
disadvantages of each ?

TIA

--Mark

--
Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              [hidden email]
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread.

I have some crazy Idea.  About the vwnt.exe and DLL.  The big size of
the dll was a contention point for many , me included.  But there are
some distinct advantages of using the DLL.

How difficult it is to compile a DLL without the maps and debug symbols
?  without those,the size of the EXE +DLL will be just few kB bigger
then single visual.EXE.

Actually it might give an additional advantage to the downloads and
updates.  Remember the 7.4 VM ? in the space of 5 month we had 4
releases a,b, c,d. Now if I were to update the single EXE product -- for
me it would be 3 downloads of 7 MB for each of the users.  if I did
deploy as EXE +dll then I probably would had 3 download of 0.7 mb (dll
only) - clearly 10 times reduction.

Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Eliot Miranda schrieb:
>> IMO, in these days of DSL and large hard drives visual.exe is an
>> anachronism.
>
> Not for shrink-wrapped products. There are good reasons for packing
> everything in a single executable. Deploying an extra DLL is not an
> option for downloadable updaters. It also complicates the use of copy
> protection envelopes that use self-encrypting executables and
> anti-debugging measures.
>
> The executable is only one component of a product. Usually there are
> many more files and documents that come along with a download, so each
> component should be a small as possible. My products for example are
> almost 16MB (zipped), although the main executable is only 600k.
>
> The bandwidth and hard disk excuse that comes up frequently is just
> that: An excuse.

For somebody outside US or Western Europe the size of the downloads is a
big problem actually

Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Eliot Miranda schrieb:
>> IMO, in these days of DSL and large hard drives visual.exe is an
>> anachronism.
>
> Not for shrink-wrapped products. There are good reasons for packing
> everything in a single executable. Deploying an extra DLL is not an
> option for downloadable updaters. It also complicates the use of copy
> protection envelopes that use self-encrypting executables and
> anti-debugging measures.
>
> The executable is only one component of a product. Usually there are
> many more files and documents that come along with a download, so each
> component should be a small as possible. My products for example are
> almost 16MB (zipped), although the main executable is only 600k.
>
> The bandwidth and hard disk excuse that comes up frequently is just
> that: An excuse.

For somebody outside US or Western Europe the size of the downloads is a
big problem actually

> Andre

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
100 users x 21MB = 2.1GB
2.1GB x $0.18* = $0.39

1,000 users x 21MB = 21GB
21GB x $0.18* = $3.78

100,000 users x 21MB = 2,100GB
2,100GB x $0.18* = $378.00

* http://tinyurl.com/yodrgk

... and this isn't even the cheapest bandwidth around. You could buy 1TB
of short-path bandwidth from Media Temple for $20/month. Where is a
problem?

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Steven Kelly
The point isn't whether it matters, it's whether there are people who
think it matters. If our set of potential customers includes those
people, we're better off if we can satisfy them (ceteris paribus).

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Dennis smith-4

Steven Kelly wrote:
The point isn't whether it matters, it's whether there are people who
think it matters. If our set of potential customers includes those
people, we're better off if we can satisfy them (ceteris paribus).

Its not just cincom clients who matter, its cincom's clients' clients.

Being a S/W provider we often run into strange issues.  People who would rather pay us and/or
system support companies many$ when adding a bit of memory or disk
for much less$ would solve the problem.

So yes, although we don't have this specific issue, I can see how it can matter.
We just had a prospective client show wanted to save $3000 on a linux server
(for gemstone) and was willing to pay us to change our standard requirements,
pay an unspecified amount -- he should have gone with the fixed $3000!

Steve

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [vwnc] VM question

Let me put it this way, people who update software on their machines are used to constantly downloading 10s of megabytes of stuff without really thinking about it, so why is it that we seem to be coming back to this issue every once in a while? I don't think I have had a single complaint from an end user about the size of the updates in my whole career. Think about the last adobe acrobat update you installed, it was probably more than 20 megs, now think of windows updates, mac os patches and such and decide if you'd rather have cincom spend their cycles on improving the product than on making it marginally smaller.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

                        Andre Schnoor wrote:

                                Eliot Miranda schrieb:

[...]

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada                           http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Reinout Heeck

On Feb 23, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Boris Popov wrote:
>  You could buy 1TB
> of short-path bandwidth from Media Temple for $20/month. Where is a
> problem?

In Africa.

-

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [vwnc] VM question

Oh don't go all philosophical on me now ;)

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

On Feb 23, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Boris Popov wrote:
>  You could buy 1TB
> of short-path bandwidth from Media Temple for $20/month. Where is a
> problem?

In Africa.

-

Re: [vwnc] VM question

Carl Gundel
Boris,

You may not get any complaints, but I do.  It definitely does matter in some
markets.  Many people are very sensitive to the size of software, and in the
case of my own customers they get very critical of large distributables.

People in the BASIC and C, and Pascal, etc. programming (ie. static
compiler) traditions expect small code to produce small distributables.
Smalltalk does not seem able to do this, and so no matter how cool it is it
will not be accepted by some markets.  I don't mind the large size of things
too much, but my customers (and potential customers) care a great deal.

Smalltalk should not strive for marginally smaller.  It should be able to
produce very small apps when the code is very small.  Why else would Spoon
be an interesting project?  Cincom might even consider trying to hire Craig
Latta to see if he can Spoonify VisualWorks.

Me?  I personally don't care if VisualWorks cannot produce a 50K runtime.  A
couple of MB would be good enough for my needs.  When I told my customers
that the next version of Liberty BASIC might be 5MB or more, you might be
surprised at how many people said they wouldn't be upgrading.

There is also the perception that there is either something wrong with
Smalltalk or with the engineering staff at Cincom if they cannot produce a
well partitioned and easily deployed system that contains only what is
needed.  After all, compiler vendors have been producing dynamic linkers for
decades.  I mean, get with the program Smalltalkers! is the attitude.

Also, maybe it doesn't matter for your application how large your Seaside
images are.  Some people are really going to care about this because they
are going to compare the memory consumption for different web tools.

Well, that's my 2 cents (again).

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com