VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Geert Claes
Administrator

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

Can somebody, hopefully from the GemStone/S team, explain what is the
current situation of GemStone/S?

SpringSource is focused on the Java market, as GemFire was before the
acquisition. That would mean no change whatsoever.
But it is not the same to keep a Smalltalk product as part of a
company that started being Smalltalk based.
I know also that GS/S has it's own market on the successful companies
already using it, but it doesn't seem to be clear what is going to
happen.

I'm just thinking aloud, but as a fellow smalltalker I will appreciate
any comment on the matter.

Best regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

2011/3/8 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>:
> http://www.keeneview.com/2011/03/wavemaker-springs-to-vmware.html

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Geert Claes
Administrator
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
Can somebody, hopefully from the GemStone/S team, explain what is the current situation of GemStone/S?

SpringSource is focused on the Java market, as GemFire was before the acquisition. That would mean no change whatsoever.  But it is not the same to keep a Smalltalk product as part of a company that started being Smalltalk based.  I know also that GS/S has it's own market on the successful companies already using it, but it doesn't seem to be clear what is going to happen.
Hi Esteban, I am not a Gemstone/S team member but I really don't think this acquisition will affect the Smalltalk side of Gemstone i.e Gemstone/S much - if anything - at all.

Wavemaker was a company I'd been following since they were still called ActiveGrid (and when CogHead was still around) because the whole Cloud IDE and PaaS is where I'd invest my money on .. if I had it :)  One of the key investors behind Wavemaker was actually Mitchell Kertzman from the old client/server market leading PowerBuilder IDE.

I actually really thought that Gemstone/S was in a great position to create a Smalltalk based cloud IDE/PaaS, but my guess is that since its parent company has now put their eggs in the Java/SpringSource basket that's now very unlikely going to happen :)

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Michael Latta
It seems to me MagLev would make a good neroli like hosting environment. Fewer moving parts.

Michael

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 9, 2011, at 12:34 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>>
>> Can somebody, hopefully from the GemStone/S team, explain what is the
>> current situation of GemStone/S?
>>
>> SpringSource is focused on the Java market, as GemFire was before the
>> acquisition. That would mean no change whatsoever.  But it is not the same
>> to keep a Smalltalk product as part of a company that started being
>> Smalltalk based.  I know also that GS/S has it's own market on the
>> successful companies already using it, but it doesn't seem to be clear
>> what is going to happen.
>>

> Hi Esteban, I am not a Gemstone/S team member but I really don't think this
> acquisition will affect the Smalltalk side of Gemstone i.e Gemstone/S much -
> if anything - at all.
>
> Wavemaker was a company I'd been following since they were still called
> ActiveGrid (and when CogHead was still around) because the whole Cloud IDE
> and PaaS is where I'd invest my money on .. if I had it :)  One of the key
> investors behind Wavemaker was actually Mitchell Kertzman from the old
> client/server market leading PowerBuilder IDE.
>
> I actually really thought that Gemstone/S was in a great position to create
> a Smalltalk based cloud IDE/PaaS, but my guess is that since its parent
> company has now put their eggs in the Java/SpringSource basket that's now
> very unlikely going to happen :)

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Geert Claes
Administrator
Michael Latta wrote
It seems to me MagLev would make a good neroli like hosting environment. Fewer moving parts.
What is "neroli"? ... apart from plant oil (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neroli) :)

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Michael Latta
Sorry.  iPad spelling correction.  I typed Heroku.

Michael

On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:59 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Michael Latta wrote:
>>
>> It seems to me MagLev would make a good neroli like hosting environment.
>> Fewer moving parts.
>>

> What is "neroli"? ... apart from plant oil (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neroli) :)

Re: VMWare acquires Wavemaker

Geert Claes
Administrator
No worries, now I know what neroli plant oil is and where they get it from

I reckon a Smalltalk based Heroku or Cloud9 could be how Smalltalk can be a disruptive technology again.

ps. had a similar experience yesterday when my iPhone auto-corrected "congrats" to "contest" :)

Michael Latta wrote