VNC Problem on Gentoo

SebastianHC
Hi Seasiders!

A little offtopic but as there are some of you using a similar
environment as I do, I just give my question a try here.

I just moved my developmentserver from fedora to gentoo and now I have
the following trouble with my headless squeak seaside image.

It's based on Damien Cassou's 3.10 dev-images and VNC loaded with
UniverseBrowser.
It doesn't depend on whether I load Seaside 2.8 or 2.9alpha...

Everytime I do copy paste (bad smalltalk coding I know ;-) ) or use the
copy funktion via popup menu my tightvnc connection is gone. When I work
with the image directly on the server everything is fine.

Did anybodyelse have a similar problem with this?

Good luck for 2.9!!!
Sebastian

Re: VNC Problem on Gentoo

cdavidshaffer
Sebastian Heidbrink wrote:

> Hi Seasiders!
>
> A little offtopic but as there are some of you using a similar
> environment as I do, I just give my question a try here.
>
> I just moved my developmentserver from fedora to gentoo and now I have
> the following trouble with my headless squeak seaside image.
>
> It's based on Damien Cassou's 3.10 dev-images and VNC loaded with
> UniverseBrowser.
> It doesn't depend on whether I load Seaside 2.8 or 2.9alpha...
>
> Everytime I do copy paste (bad smalltalk coding I know ;-) ) or use
> the copy funktion via popup menu my tightvnc connection is gone. When
> I work with the image directly on the server everything is fine.
>
> Did anybodyelse have a similar problem with this?

Yes, copy through VNC kills the squeak VM (not just the VNC session).
This has been the case for as long as I can remember...just never had
the time to try to correct it.

David

Re: VNC Problem on Gentoo

Lukas Renggli
>> Did anybodyelse have a similar problem with this?
>>
> Yes, copy through VNC kills the squeak VM (not just the VNC session).
> This has been the case for as long as I can remember...just never had
> the time to try to correct it.

I am also using a Gentoo machine as server and I have several images
running on it with RBF (the native Squeak VNC server). Never observed
any problem with the clipboard.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: VNC Problem on Gentoo

Andreas.Raab
C. David Shaffer wrote:
> Yes, copy through VNC kills the squeak VM (not just the VNC session).
> This has been the case for as long as I can remember...just never had
> the time to try to correct it.

The problem is that when you run headless the clipboard primitives die.
The easiest way to fix this is to just comment out the primitive 141 in
both primitiveClipboardText/primitiveClipboardText:

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: VNC Problem on Gentoo

cdavidshaffer
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> Did anybodyelse have a similar problem with this?
>>>

>> Yes, copy through VNC kills the squeak VM (not just the VNC session).
>> This has been the case for as long as I can remember...just never had
>> the time to try to correct it.
>>

> I am also using a Gentoo machine as server and I have several images
> running on it with RBF (the native Squeak VNC server). Never observed
> any problem with the clipboard.
>
> Lukas

I didn't see Andreas' post here so I'll paste it below.  Only happens on
headless images.  FWIW, I've modified my deployment image as he
suggested and it has taken care of the problem entirely.

David

------------from Andreas