VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Dennis Schetinin
I've asked this some time ago, and got no reply. Another attempt:

Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 + RFB-DamienCassou.28 (still the latest): the image stops to respond after closing connection remotely. Stopping the server leaves image ok.

Can anybody reproduce this?

I'm working on Russian Smalltalk User Group web server currently. This package has shown itself as a very helpful tool during my last web project, and it will be great if I can use it...

If I get no reply because this is not the correct list, please give me an advice about where to send the report. :)

--
Dennis Schetinin

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Stéphane Ducasse
dennis may be you should also asked in the seaside mailing-list

stef
On Oct 14, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> I've asked this some time ago, and got no reply. Another attempt:
>
> Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 + RFB-DamienCassou.28 (still the
> latest): the image stops to respond after closing connection
> remotely. Stopping the server leaves image ok.
>
> Can anybody reproduce this?
>
> I'm working on Russian Smalltalk User Group web server currently.
> This package has shown itself as a very helpful tool during my last
> web project, and it will be great if I can use it...
>
> If I get no reply because this is not the correct list, please give
> me an advice about where to send the report. :)
>
> --
> Dennis Schetinin

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Dennis Schetinin
dennis may be you should also asked in the seaside mailing-list

Ok, done :) Was not sure it's a seaside topic, thank you for the point.

--
Dennis Schetinin

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm not sure :)
but like that you can increase your answer feedback.

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> dennis may be you should also asked in the seaside mailing-list
>
> Ok, done :) Was not sure it's a seaside topic, thank you for the
> point.
>
> --
> Dennis Schetinin

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Miguel Cobá
El mié, 14-10-2009 a las 11:51 +0400, Dennis Schetinin escribió:

> I've asked this some time ago, and got no reply. Another attempt:
>
>         Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 + RFB-DamienCassou.28
>         (still the latest): the image stops to respond after closing
>         connection remotely. Stopping the server leaves image ok.
>
> Can anybody reproduce this?
>
> I'm working on Russian Smalltalk User Group web server currently. This
> package has shown itself as a very helpful tool during my last web
> project, and it will be great if I can use it...
>
> If I get no reply because this is not the correct list, please give me
> an advice about where to send the report. :)

Hi Dennis,

I can't reproduce it on a PharoCore 10470 image.

I download the PharoCore image. Loaded RFB with

ScriptLoader
  loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'.

Installer lukas project: 'unsorted';
  install: 'RFB'.

And start it on display 0 with:

RFBServer start: 0

then, with the image open, I opened a connection in Debian with

gvncviewer localhost

everything worked. I closed the remote connection and the image
responded without problems.

So, maybe this is specific to the web image or the packages  Can you try
with a pharo core image or a newer.

Now to test with the refered image.

I downloaded pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1.zip and started it.
I opened a workspace and executed:

RFBServer start: 0

then launched the vnc viewer and closed it.

the image works ok after that.

I can't reproduce it on PharoCore or pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1

Cheers

> --
> Dennis Schetinin
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Dennis Schetinin

2009/10/17 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>

Thank you for your help very much.

>         Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 + RFB-DamienCassou.28
>         (still the latest): the image stops to respond after closing
>         connection remotely. Stopping the server leaves image ok.

I can't reproduce it on a PharoCore 10470 image.

I can't reproduce it on PharoCore or pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1

And I have the same problem with this image too. So, the problem can be in my VNC client or perhaps in VM... I'll try to check both variants. Will be thankful for more ideas.

El sáb, 17-10-2009 a las 22:26 +0400, Dennis Schetinin escribió:

> 2009/10/17 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
>
> Thank you for your help very much.
>
>         >         Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 +
>         RFB-DamienCassou.28
>         >         (still the latest): the image stops to respond after
>         closing
>         >         connection remotely. Stopping the server leaves
>         image ok.
>         >
>
>         I can't reproduce it on a PharoCore 10470 image.
>
>         I can't reproduce it on PharoCore or
>         pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1
>
> And I have the same problem with this image too. So, the problem can
> be in my VNC client or perhaps in VM... I'll try to check both
> variants. Will be thankful for more ideas.

Yes, try other clients. I have very distinct results (in video quality)
by using different clients.

right now I am using

ii  gvncviewer                            0.3.9-1                    VNC
viewer using gtk-vnc

on Debian Squeeze and haven't had any problems.
Also, check with Ctrl + . or Cmd + . which process is freezing the
image. Check if there is a PharoDebug.log in the folder/directory where
you have the image for some hints.

Cheers

> --
> Dennis Schetinin
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: VNC (RFB) problem (2nd attempt)

Dennis Schetinin

2009/10/17 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>

>         >         Using pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1 +
>         RFB-DamienCassou.28
>         >         (still the latest): the image stops to respond after
>         closing
>         >         connection remotely. Stopping the server leaves
>         image ok.
>         >
>
>         I can't reproduce it on a PharoCore 10470 image.
>
>         I can't reproduce it on PharoCore or
>         pharo1.0-10466-BETAweb09.10.1
>
> And I have the same problem with this image too. So, the problem can
> be in my VNC client or perhaps in VM... I'll try to check both
> variants. Will be thankful for more ideas.

> Thank you for your help very much.
Yes, try other clients. I have very distinct results (in video quality)
by using different clients.

Using the same image I still have the same problem with different clients running the server on (my own) Windows and has no problems on our (web-hosting) CentOS. So the problem is in VM or some kind of interaction with Windows...

--
Dennis Schetinin