VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Hernan Wilkinson-3
Hi
 does anybody ported the implementation of VNC to pharo 1.3 or 1.4?
 If so, could you share it? :-)

 Thanks!
 Hernan.

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

NorbertHartl

Am 26.04.2012 um 17:21 schrieb Hernan Wilkinson:

> Hi
>  does anybody ported the implementation of VNC to pharo 1.3 or 1.4?
>  If so, could you share it? :-)

I use it daily on pharo 1.3. I load it via metacello. My baseline entry looks like this

project: 'RFB' with: [
        spec
                className: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
                file: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
                versionString: #'bleedingEdge';
                repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ];

Norbert

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Hernan Wilkinson-3
Thanks! works just fine!

Hernan.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 26.04.2012 um 17:21 schrieb Hernan Wilkinson:

> Hi
>  does anybody ported the implementation of VNC to pharo 1.3 or 1.4?
>  If so, could you share it? :-)

I use it daily on pharo 1.3. I load it via metacello. My baseline entry looks like this

project: 'RFB' with: [
       spec
               className: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
               file: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
               versionString: #'bleedingEdge';
               repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ];

Norbert

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Phone: +54 - 011 - 4311 - 8404
Mobile: +54 - 911 - 4470 - 7207
email: [hidden email]
site: http://www.10Pines.com
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Paul DeBruicker
You could also consider using 'xrpa' which is like screen but for X applications.  See Bernat Romagosa description here:

http://www.asmalltalkbytheseaside.com/#remotedevelopmentonpharowithoutvnc

Hernan Wilkinson-3 wrote

site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Paul DeBruicker
Paul DeBruicker wrote
You could also consider using 'xrpa' which is like screen but for X applications.  See Bernat Romagosa description here:

Woops.  That should have been Xpra not Xrpa.  See:

http://xpra.org/

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

mmimica

On 26 April 2012 17:40, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 26.04.2012 um 17:21 schrieb Hernan Wilkinson:

> Hi
>  does anybody ported the implementation of VNC to pharo 1.3 or 1.4?
>  If so, could you share it? :-)

I use it daily on pharo 1.3. I load it via metacello. My baseline entry looks like this

project: 'RFB' with: [
       spec
               className: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
               file: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
               versionString: #'bleedingEdge';
               repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ];

Norbert

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

would be good to package it with a stable version and publish it for 1/4 in the MetaRepoForPharo14

Any taker?

Stef

On Apr 26, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 26.04.2012 um 17:21 schrieb Hernan Wilkinson:
>
>> Hi
>> does anybody ported the implementation of VNC to pharo 1.3 or 1.4?
>> If so, could you share it? :-)
>>
> I use it daily on pharo 1.3. I load it via metacello. My baseline entry looks like this
>
> project: 'RFB' with: [
> spec
> className: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
> file: 'ConfigurationOfRFB';
> versionString: #'bleedingEdge';
> repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ];
>
> Norbert

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Yanni Chiu
On 26/04/12 10:45 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> You could also consider using 'xrpa' which is like screen but for X
> applications.  See Bernat Romagosa description here:
>
> http://www.asmalltalkbytheseaside.com/#remotedevelopmentonpharowithoutvnc

In that article, the steps are:

% xpra attach :5
% DISPLAY=:5 ./pharo.sh

which seems to imply that the 5-th DISPLAY port is occupied by the image.

When I have several images running, using VNC, I can start/stop the VNC
display in each image (and specify the portno) using a Seaside interface.

So, I only have to open one firewall port for the X Display port (I'm
probably doing something wrong here; maybe I should be using ssh), and I
can operate each image GUI as necessary, as long as I only operate on
one image at a time.

Can a similar thing be done using xpra?

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Igor Stasenko
On 27 April 2012 20:05, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/04/12 10:45 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
>>
>> You could also consider using 'xrpa' which is like screen but for X
>> applications.  See Bernat Romagosa description here:
>>
>> http://www.asmalltalkbytheseaside.com/#remotedevelopmentonpharowithoutvnc
>

> In that article, the steps are:
>
> % xpra attach :5
> % DISPLAY=:5 ./pharo.sh
>
> which seems to imply that the 5-th DISPLAY port is occupied by the image.
>
> When I have several images running, using VNC, I can start/stop the VNC
> display in each image (and specify the portno) using a Seaside interface.
>
> So, I only have to open one firewall port for the X Display port (I'm
> probably doing something wrong here; maybe I should be using ssh), and I can
> operate each image GUI as necessary, as long as I only operate on one image
> at a time.
>
> Can a similar thing be done using xpra?

is it wouldn't be easier to run desktop on X server with as many
images you like,
and connect x server instead using remote desktop connection?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Yanni Chiu
On 27/04/12 2:18 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> is it wouldn't be easier to run desktop on X server with as many
> images you like,
> and connect x server instead using remote desktop connection?

Yes, that would work too. I seem to recall trying to get that to work at
some point. Then I ended up on my current path, and forgot about better
ways. (Also, I think at some point I was trying to avoid the
installation of any X11 stuff that was not absolutely necessary. But it
seems I ended up with "tunnel vision" over the possible solutions.)

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Paul DeBruicker
Yanni Chiu wrote
On 26/04/12 10:45 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> You could also consider using 'xrpa' which is like screen but for X
> applications.  See Bernat Romagosa description here:
>
> http://www.asmalltalkbytheseaside.com/#remotedevelopmentonpharowithoutvnc

In that article, the steps are:

% xpra attach :5
% DISPLAY=:5 ./pharo.sh

which seems to imply that the 5-th DISPLAY port is occupied by the image.

When I have several images running, using VNC, I can start/stop the VNC
display in each image (and specify the portno) using a Seaside interface.

So, I only have to open one firewall port for the X Display port (I'm
probably doing something wrong here; maybe I should be using ssh), and I
can operate each image GUI as necessary, as long as I only operate on
one image at a time.

Can a similar thing be done using xpra?
If you run them through ssh then you only need the ssh port (22) open.

Multiple Pharo apps can run at the same time by starting xpra on multiple displays then starting your Pharo instances on those displays e.g.:

xpra attach :5
DISPLAY=:5 ~/pharoApp1/pharo.sh
xpra attach :6
DISPLAY=:6 ~/pharoApp2/pharo.sh

Then they just run and you can attach to and detach from (from the same or different clients)  them without affecting the Pharo process.  I don't think you can put a currently running Pharo process inside the xpra process.  The 'DISPLAY=:5' bit just tells the X11 app you're starting which display to use.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xpra

Re: VNC for pharo 1.3 or 1.4

Gastón Dall' Oglio
Hi.

Look that you can do with a front-end for xpra, named Win Switch:

Regards.

Yanni Chiu wrote