VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Henrik Høyer
Since I am in the process of porting some code from Pharo to VSE, I was wondering if anybody else would support / contribute to a better code-sharing solution for VSE. I dream of a solution that makes it simple for us to share code between VSE users - and relative simple to share code with Pharo.

I believe that the best way forward would be to support Monticello / Metacello.  (http://code.google.com/p/metacello/)

Squeak and Pharo has their own repositories (SqueakSource), and I don't think we should make one for VSE. Instead we should implement something like FileTree (https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree) and use GitHub, see also https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress

What I want is be part of this vision:
http://portal.sliderocket.com/vmware/STIC-2012-Practical-Git-for-Smalltalk

Am I the only VSE user with such needs?

--
Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

R: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Lorenzo
Hi Henrik,

please, consider me

Ciao

Lorenzo

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

R: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Lorenzo
Hi people,

I have been using VSE for more then 25 years and now I am trying both Squeak
and Pharo.
I must say that for some aspects VSE is still an excellent tool and, IMHO is
still a very good choice at least from a balance between easiness and power.
Unfortunately my knowledge is oriented towards applications and not
technology so I am not able to evaluate weakness and strength.
I have thought that, beside all technical aspect, VSE should still be my
choice if Seaside could be used with it.
Now, I would like to ask a question to my more technical friends in the
list: is it possible to port Seaside into VSE? Is it worthwhile? Which could
be the cost of this porting?

Many thanks

Lorenzo

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Todor Todorov
Seaside:

Porting? Mostly possible. Seaside uses continuations at the core of the framework. Those are not implemented in VSE. But it is possible to implement them (with some restrictions). The rest I guess is just hard work.

-- Todor

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

R: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Lorenzo
Hi Todor,

thank you very much for your fast answer.

Do you mind answering me about the two last questions: in your opinion, the
porting is worthwhile (for VSE technological present value)?
How much could cost the porting?

Many thanks

Lorenzo

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Todor Todorov
Hi Lorenzo,

It's difficult question to answer. Porting is never free.

Implementing continuations is not impossible, and with enough knowledge, it can be done in 2-3 days. Leandro Caniglia wrote few years ago a nice article about the working of the VSE stack and ideas about implementations of continuations. The issue here is if there is transition between Smalltalk and native code and back to Smalltalk code, a.k.a as callback. VSE calls this a recursive process (you know, for example when the debugger does not allow you to hop or skip). In that case, it's simply impossible to do continuations. But the code can be made to do the work around that limitation, it's just requires more work.

Porting the Seaside; I can't say much about that. You will need to  examine the code. Last time I looked at it (few years ago), it had abstraction layer for dialect specific things. This is nice, however it used some stuff (e.g. Context) that's not available in VSE. Also, you will never know if they send some method selectors that are not present in VSE or that have different semantics. So, porting will not be without a substantial amount of work. A decent modern web framework must support quite a few internationalization options, e.g. string encodings. VSE has very poor support for that, so that at least will take you some time to implement correctly.

My guess is (and I underline, it's a guess) that it will take 3-4 weeks to get the stuff running ... and then comes the stabilization phase. Is it worth it porting it to VSE? I doubt!

Porting? Mostly possible. Seaside uses continuations at the core of the framework. Those are not implemented in VSE. But it is possible to implement them (with some restrictions). The rest I guess is just hard work.

-- Todor

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Henrik Høyer
Continuations is no longer required by Seaside

--
Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect

Porting? Mostly possible. Seaside uses continuations at the core of the framework. Those are not implemented in VSE. But it is possible to implement them (with some restrictions). The rest I guess is just hard work.

-- Todor

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Seaside and VSE RE: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Carl Gundel-3
Do you also have a good http server running on VSE?  You need that too.
Unless you have some important code that would be hard to port to another
Seaside platform from VSE, then I would guess that it would be easier to
just develop your Seaside app on an existing Seaside platform.

What do we really gain from a VSE version of Seaside?  Only you can answer
that question.

-Carl Gundel

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Carl Gundel-3
I think it would be great to have a place for contributed code and fixes.  I
know I have some code that I could share.

-Carl Gundel

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: VSE and the rest of the Smalltalk World

Guillermo Sapaya-2
Hi Todor, Lorenzo, Henrik,
We, at InfOil had ported Seaside to Dolphin in approximatelly 3/4 weeks (including stabilization phase). You can see that work here: http://www.infoil.com.ar/seaside/
Dolphin does not support continuations but (as Henrik said) these are not longer required by Seaside.
I think that the same work could be done for VS without any problem. Unfortunately, since a couple of years that we are putting our efforts more on Dolphin that in VS.

Best Regards,

Guillermo Sapaya
Development Manager
InfOil S.A. - www.infoil.com.ar
Tronador 2244, C1430DKP
Buenos Aires, Argentina
TEL (5411)4542-9999 int. 122

Porting? Mostly possible. Seaside uses continuations at the core of the framework. Those are not implemented in VSE. But it is possible to implement them (with some restrictions). The rest I guess is just hard work.

-- Todor

*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***
*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

VSE websocket server + android apps

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi,
It can be of interest here the last contributions
 we made public in U8:
- vsWebSockets
    http://u8.smalltalking.net/contribution.aspx?contributionId=304
- WebSockets for A8
    http://u8.smalltalking.net/contribution.aspx?contributionId=327

The vsWebSockets library can be used to implement
 websockets servers exposing Visual Smalltalk services
 to websockets clients (chrome and other browsers
 running websockets client apps implemented with S8).

The WebSockets for A8 framework is a native websocket client
 implementation for android, that can be used to implement
 android apps with S8, that connect to vsWebSockets servers
 or any other websocket server (e.g. node.js server running
 a server implemented with S8 [*]).

As usual, all code published in the U8 social platform is
 under MIT license terms.

cheers,
Ale.

[*] more references