VW 64-bit implementation limits - what are they??

VW 64-bit implementation limits - what are they??

Terry Raymond

My immediate question is, how large can a ByteArray be in a 64-bit image?

It would be very nice if the implementation limits PDF were updated to

include the 64-bit system.

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: VW 64-bit implementation limits - what are they??

Steffen Märcker
Btw, any news on 64 Bit VW on OSX?

Best, Steffen

Am 2. Februar 2015 17:18:37 MEZ, schrieb Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>:

>My immediate question is, how large can a ByteArray be in a 64-bit
>image?
>

>It would be very nice if the implementation limits PDF were updated to
>
>include the 64-bit system.
>

>Terry

>Terry Raymond
>
>Crafted Smalltalk
>
>80 Lazywood Ln.
>
>Tiverton, RI  02878
>
>(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: VW 64-bit implementation limits - what are they??

Mark Roberts
Hi Terry,

The implementation limits documentation for VisualWorks does mention 64-bit systems.

Regarding the maximum size of byte objects, it says:

        7.2x1016 bytes for byte objects/256 bytes for byte objects.

Does that answer your question?

This document is for VisualWorks 7.x, but to my knowledge there have been no changes to these limits for VW 8.0.

I can double-check with our team, though.

Best regards,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.