VW 64 bit

dario trussardi
Hello All,

I work with VW 7.3 and i'm interested to buy a new hardware based on 64 bit chipset.

Solution A) System Based on Windows
                  For use the 64 bit VW support i need a specific 64 bit Windows xp or new Vista?

Solution B) System based on Apple
                   MacBook Pro hardware and relative Operating System is a 64 bit ready?
                   My application write in VW use COM support to create Office document on Windows plataform.
                   Microsoft Office 2004 per Mac include COM support?

Solution C) System based on Linux
                    ?  ?   ?   ?
                   Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dario

Re: VW 64 bit

shakeshuck
Hi Dario,

If you want full 64 bit on a Mac, you'll need OSX 10.5 (which isn't out
yet, but due this month).

Surely though, if you want to be creating MS Office docs, why would you
be doing it on any platform other than Windows? Save yourself any
cross-platform issues and develop on the target platform.

Not specifically ST related, just my 2c :-)

Graham.

Dario Trussardi wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I work with VW 7.3 and i'm interested to buy a new hardware based on 64
> bit chipset.
>
> Solution A) System Based on Windows
>                   For use the 64 bit VW support i need a specific 64 bit
> Windows xp or new Vista?
>
> Solution B) System based on Apple
>                    MacBook Pro hardware and relative Operating System
> is a 64 bit ready?
>                    My application write in VW use COM support to create
> Office document on Windows plataform.
>                    Microsoft Office 2004 per Mac include COM support?
>
> Solution C) System based on Linux
>                     ?  ?   ?   ?
>                    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Dario

AW: VW 64 bit

Nowak, Helge
Dear Dario,

first: currently there are only two 64-bit-vms for VisualWorks available: for Linux x86-64/EMT-64 and for Solaris
but: usually you can run 32-bit applications under 64-bit OSs

So the question is: what are your actual functional requirements? Needing to interface to MS Office? Or having 64-bit-address space for your VisualWorks app? Or...?

Cheers
Helge

Dario Trussardi wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I work with VW 7.3 and i'm interested to buy a new hardware based on
> 64 bit chipset.
>
> Solution A) System Based on Windows
>                   For use the 64 bit VW support i need a specific 64
> bit Windows xp or new Vista?
>
> Solution B) System based on Apple
>                    MacBook Pro hardware and relative Operating System
> is a 64 bit ready?
>                    My application write in VW use COM support to
> create Office document on Windows plataform.
>                    Microsoft Office 2004 per Mac include COM support?
>
> Solution C) System based on Linux
>                     ?  ?   ?   ?
>                    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Dario

Re: VW 64 bit

Dave Stevenson-2
Why not all three? With a sufficiently powerful machine and VMWare
Server, you can. I run Ubuntu 64 on a dual core machine with Win XP 32
bit installed as a VM. The win VM accesses the network via NAT, all
handled transparently by VMWare. It accesses files on the local host
operating system via samba, and seems to be very stable.

Start with an intel Mac. It's more expensive than a generic PC, but
Apple doesn't allow running their OS on non-Apple hardware. Ensure it is
at least dual-core, quad would be better. MacOSX 64 will be your host
OS, and you install a linux 64 and a win 64 VM (also 32 bit versions of
each OS if you want, and if you get a big enough hard disk and enough
memory).

If it were me, I'd get the best motherboard I could from apple, then
look at the possibility of upgrading the RAM/cpu/disks/peripherals
separately in case it is cheaper to do that myself.

Dave

Dario Trussardi wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I work with VW 7.3 and i'm interested to buy a new hardware based on 64
> bit chipset.
>
> Solution A) System Based on Windows
>                   For use the 64 bit VW support i need a specific 64 bit
> Windows xp or new Vista?
>
> Solution B) System based on Apple
>                    MacBook Pro hardware and relative Operating System
> is a 64 bit ready?
>                    My application write in VW use COM support to create
> Office document on Windows plataform.
>                    Microsoft Office 2004 per Mac include COM support?
>
> Solution C) System based on Linux
>                     ?  ?   ?   ?
>                    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Dario

Re: VW 64 bit

shakeshuck
Your comment just made me realise one of the advantages of Apple having
moved to Intel, that of upgrading the CPU. My mac's a dual G4, from
those in-between-days when a cpu upgrade wasn't an option; you sold the
machine with the same processor you bought it with. Perhaps it's time to
raid the piggy bank...