VW 7.7, Windows 7 font seems large ...

Dennis smith-4
I am running VW7.7 on Windows 7 with no problem.

However, another person at our office appears to have the same Win 7
settings and
his VW fonts are quite a bit larger -- to the point that some labels on
buttons run only
show about 75% of the characters (centred, so we lose left and right).

It would appear that its the VW System Font, not Default Font that is large.

Both the Win7 setups have DPI set to 100% and "Small Font" selected.

Anyone seen this one??

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: VW 7.7, Windows 7 font seems large ...

Steven Kelly
There have certainly been other, similar reports over the years: VW's
font lookup is very dynamic, and neither the matching algorithm nor the
ability to specify fonts is great, so it's quite easy to end up with an
undesired font. Generally in my experience the reason has either been a
similarly-named font or missing font in the OS, or then a bug in VW's
initial font enumeration from the OS (sometimes VW's fault, sometimes
that of a an external application or corrupt font).

What are the names of the fonts that VW is ending up with, on the two
PCs? Inspect this and look at the name and FontDescription:
UIBuilder defaultPolicyClass systemTextStyle currentFont

Are the Windows "Regional settings" the same on both PCs? Do you see the
same problem with a virgin visual.im? See the thread for details of
encoding changes:
http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/1004/threads.html#00218

And of course your own thread, where the root cause was a different
ClearType setting:
http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/1002/msg00098.html
:-)

Steve

Mark Pirogovsky-3
I see exactly same problem on my Win7 installation, while nobody else does.

Dennis Smith wrote:

> I am running VW7.7 on Windows 7 with no problem.
>
> However, another person at our office appears to have the same Win 7
> settings and
> his VW fonts are quite a bit larger -- to the point that some labels on
> buttons run only
> show about 75% of the characters (centred, so we lose left and right).
>
> It would appear that its the VW System Font, not Default Font that is large.
>
> Both the Win7 setups have DPI set to 100% and "Small Font" selected.
>
> Anyone seen this one??

Re: VW 7.7, Windows 7 font seems large ...

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
what's the result of these two expressions?

1. Screen default defaultFontPolicy preferredFontSize
2. (Screen default defaultFontPolicy findFont: WinXPLookPolicy
defaultSystemAttributes defaultFont) name.

on my system:

1. 16
2. tahoma~13~400~0~0~0~special163~0

On 10/05/2010 2:55 PM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> what's the result of these two expressions?
>
> 1. Screen default defaultFontPolicy preferredFontSize
> 2. (Screen default defaultFontPolicy findFont: WinXPLookPolicy
> defaultSystemAttributes defaultFont) name.
>
> on my system:
>
> 1. 16
> 2. tahoma~13~400~0~0~0~special163~0

Yes I got that far -- the PC with the oversized fonts is  20 and
tahome~16 (16 is derived from the 20).

The 20 comes from the first font of
     Screen default fontNameListsDo: [:x | ...]

One PC returns  System~16~..  the other  System~20~...

I am still working at it -- but it looks some some Win7 setting.

> Am 10.05.2010 19:19, schrieb Mark Pirogovsky:
>
>> I see exactly same problem on my Win7 installation, while nobody else does.
>>

>> Dennis Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I am running VW7.7 on Windows 7 with no problem.
>>>
>>> However, another person at our office appears to have the same Win 7
>>> settings and
>>> his VW fonts are quite a bit larger -- to the point that some labels on
>>> buttons run only
>>> show about 75% of the characters (centred, so we lose left and right).
>>>
>>> It would appear that its the VW System Font, not Default Font that is large.
>>>
>>> Both the Win7 setups have DPI set to 100% and "Small Font" selected.
>>>
>>> Anyone seen this one??

Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: VW 7.7, Windows 7 font seems large ...

Steven Kelly
Different screen resolution triggering different OS behavior?
Steve

http://www.rlvision.com/misc/windows_7_font_bug.asp