Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[VW 7.7 bug] Right click also changes selection

Paul Baumann

* Open the System browser (any list pane will do though).

* Click on the top item on in a list pane.

* Position your mouse cursor over another item further down in the list.

* Right click to open the context/operate menu to act on the first item you selected.

What happens is that the selected item changes to be the item under the mouse cursor. This is not customary behavior. I can't see why you'd want it that way either. Normally, your original selections remain selected. Did someone actually think this was an improvement for VW 7.7? None of the "look and feel" options help.

Windows, for example, changes the *focus* to the item under the mouse cursor; it does not change the *selection*. Did someone get the two confused when working on VW 7.7? VW 7.6 sets neither focus nor selection, but that is better than changing selection.

Consider when you have a rapidly changing list (like the Process Monitor). You select something in the list and can see that you've selected the right thing even though the list keeps moving things around on you. Then you right click to operate on that selection. If the selection changes on you then it gets tricky to do what you want--especially in the case that you've multi-selected items. Fortunately, the Process Monitor in VW 7.7 is inconsistent in that has the correct behavior of not changing the selection.

Paul Baumann

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [VW 7.7 bug] Right click also changes selection

Alan Knight-2
How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in Windows here? If I take a Windows file explorer as representative, left-click on one entry to select it, then right-click on another entry, it seems to me to change the selection. That is, menu items operate on it. If I hit escape to close the menu, then go to the edit menu and choose "invert selection", it seems to me to act as though I had right-clicked on was the selection. Mac and Linux seem to behave similarly.

The intent is definitely to conform more closely to the behaviour of lists in the operating systems. Which does change in interesting ways for some of the edge cases, even between operating system versions, but is pretty definitely not the behaviour that 7.6 displayed.

At 03:57 PM 2010-10-07, Paul Baumann wrote:
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
         boundary="_000_3FCC5C63F3371940900A2160FD399FD3025FC21863atbpixmx02CPE_"

* Right click to open the context/operate menu to act on the first item you selected.

What happens is that the selected item changes to be the item under the mouse cursor. This is not customary behavior. I can't see why you'd want it that way either. Normally, your original selections remain selected. Did someone actually think this was an improvement for VW 7.7? None of the "look and feel" options help.

Windows, for example, changes the *focus* to the item under the mouse cursor; it does not change the *selection*. Did someone get the two confused when working on VW 7.7? VW 7.6 sets neither focus nor selection, but that is better than changing selection.

Consider when you have a rapidly changing list (like the Process Monitor). You select something in the list and can see that you've selected the right thing even though the list keeps moving things around on you. Then you right click to operate on that selection. If the selection changes on you then it gets tricky to do what you want--especially in the case that you've multi-selected items. Fortunately, the Process Monitor in VW 7.7 is inconsistent in that has the correct behavior of not changing the selection.

Paul Baumann

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Reply | Threaded
|

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
  The tricky part is that "navigational" widgets (tree views) and list
views behave differently in most OS/desktop environments.
- When right-clicking on tree view items, the selection doesn't change
after closing the menu. The focus returns to the item that was selected
before right-clicking.
- Right-clicking on list items changes the focus.
In VW however, trees and lists share the same behavior, which is IMHO
wrong (and that's why we opened a case for this ;)

Am 07.10.2010 22:18, schrieb Alan Knight:

> How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in
> Windows here? If I take a Windows file explorer as representative,
> left-click on one entry to select it, then right-click on another
> entry, it seems to me to change the selection. That is, menu items
> operate on it. If I hit escape to close the menu, then go to the edit
> menu and choose "invert selection", it seems to me to act as though I
> had right-clicked on was the selection. Mac and Linux seem to behave
> similarly.
>
> The intent is definitely to conform more closely to the behaviour of
> lists in the operating systems. Which does change in interesting ways
> for some of the edge cases, even between operating system versions,
> but is pretty definitely not the behaviour that 7.6 displayed.
>
> At 03:57 PM 2010-10-07, Paul Baumann wrote:
>> Content-Language: en-US
>> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>> boundary="_000_3FCC5C63F3371940900A2160FD399FD3025FC21863atbpixmx02CPE_"
>>
>> * Open the System browser (any list pane will do though).
>> * Click on the top item on in a list pane.
>> * Position your mouse cursor over another item further down in the list.
>> * Right click to open the context/operate menu to act on the first
>> item you selected.
>>
>> What happens is that the selected item changes to be the item under
>> the mouse cursor. This is not customary behavior. I can't see why
>> you'd want it that way either. Normally, your original selections
>> remain selected. Did someone actually think this was an improvement
>> for VW 7.7? None of the "look and feel" options help.
>>
>> Windows, for example, changes the **focus** to the item under the
>> mouse cursor; it does not change the **selection**. Did someone get
>> the two confused when working on VW 7.7? VW 7.6 sets neither focus
>> nor selection, but that is better than changing selection.

Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Baumann
In reply to this post by Alan Knight-2

Alan,

You're right. The windows7 file explorer does behaves as VW 7.7 does now with file lists.

>>How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in Windows here?

MS Outlook is one way to see the focus indicator and behavior as I've described; it shows a dashed line around the unselected item. The screenshot below shows it:

It appears Microsoft is not consistent--unless they have a spec that specifies different behavior for lists and icon views.

Paul Baumann

Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 16:18
To: Paul Baumann; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [vwnc] [VW 7.7 bug] Right click also changes selection
Importance: High

How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in Windows here? If I take a Windows file explorer as representative, left-click on one entry to select it, then right-click on another entry, it seems to me to change the selection. That is, menu items operate on it. If I hit escape to close the menu, then go to the edit menu and choose "invert selection", it seems to me to act as though I had right-clicked on was the selection. Mac and Linux seem to behave similarly.

The intent is definitely to conform more closely to the behaviour of lists in the operating systems. Which does change in interesting ways for some of the edge cases, even between operating system versions, but is pretty definitely not the behaviour that 7.6 displayed.

Paul Baumann

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Alan Knight-2
In reply to this post by Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Yes, the tree behaviour is precisely the thing that varies among operating system versions. But the complaint in this case was specifically about lists.

At 04:36 PM 2010-10-07, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
  The tricky part is that "navigational" widgets (tree views) and list
views behave differently in most OS/desktop environments.
- When right-clicking on tree view items, the selection doesn't change
after closing the menu. The focus returns to the item that was selected
before right-clicking.
- Right-clicking on list items changes the focus.
In VW however, trees and lists share the same behavior, which is IMHO
wrong (and that's why we opened a case for this ;)

Am 07.10.2010 22:18, schrieb Alan Knight:
> How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in
> Windows here? If I take a Windows file explorer as representative,
> left-click on one entry to select it, then right-click on another
> entry, it seems to me to change the selection. That is, menu items
> operate on it. If I hit escape to close the menu, then go to the edit
> menu and choose "invert selection", it seems to me to act as though I
> had right-clicked on was the selection. Mac and Linux seem to behave
> similarly.
>
> The intent is definitely to conform more closely to the behaviour of
> lists in the operating systems. Which does change in interesting ways
> for some of the edge cases, even between operating system versions,
> but is pretty definitely not the behaviour that 7.6 displayed.
>
> At 03:57 PM 2010-10-07, Paul Baumann wrote:
>> Content-Language: en-US
>> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>> boundary="_000_3FCC5C63F3371940900A2160FD399FD3025FC21863atbpixmx02CPE_"
>>
>> * Open the System browser (any list pane will do though).
>> * Click on the top item on in a list pane.
>> * Position your mouse cursor over another item further down in the list.
>> * Right click to open the context/operate menu to act on the first
>> item you selected.
>>
>> What happens is that the selected item changes to be the item under
>> the mouse cursor. This is not customary behavior. I can't see why
>> you'd want it that way either. Normally, your original selections
>> remain selected. Did someone actually think this was an improvement
>> for VW 7.7? None of the "look and feel" options help.
>>
>> Windows, for example, changes the **focus** to the item under the
>> mouse cursor; it does not change the **selection**. Did someone get
>> the two confused when working on VW 7.7? VW 7.6 sets neither focus
>> nor selection, but that is better than changing selection.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Holger Guhl
In reply to this post by Paul Baumann
If you want the old non-conform behavior back, then try the attached parcel. With a Shared Var you can configure your preference (old vs. new behavior), the default is "old". Thus you can load it in a shared image, and individuals can have their own setting.

Am 07.10.2010 21:57, schrieb Paul Baumann:

Paul Baumann

Holger Guhl
-- 
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

OldYellowButtonPressed-1.0.zip (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Nowak, Helge

There seems to be no common behavior for neither lists nor tree views. My main experience is on Windows, so bear with me that I can’t tell for other OS’s right now.

In Windows you have several possible behaviours:

a)      Simple to semi smart, as in the Windows Explorer: the selection most of the time changes in both lists and tree views (in tree views the selection does not change when you e. g. do a “open in new window” on a directory, whereas an “Expand” does change the selection. Which makes sense.)

b)      Smart, as in Outlook: the selection does not change in both lists and tree views

My personal preference would be to have the “Smart” behaviour as default in all Cincom Smalltalk products and the “Simple” and “Semi Smart” behaviours as options.

My 2 Cents

Helge

Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von Holger Guhl
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Oktober 2010 11:14
An: Paul Baumann
Cc: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [vwnc] [VW 7.7 bug] Right click also changes selection

If you want the old non-conform behavior back, then try the attached parcel. With a Shared Var you can configure your preference (old vs. new behavior), the default is "old". Thus you can load it in a shared image, and individuals can have their own setting.

Paul Baumann

Holger Guhl
-- 
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Reply | Threaded
|

Christian Haider
In reply to this post by Holger Guhl
+1 !!!

Annoys me especially in the Pundles list (tree view) of the Browser.

I am glad though that this issue gets discussed,
    Christian

Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von Nowak, Helge
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Oktober 2010 12:01
An: Holger Guhl; Paul Baumann; Knight, Alan

There seems to be no common behavior for neither lists nor tree views. My main experience is on Windows, so bear with me that I can’t tell for other OS’s right now.

In Windows you have several possible behaviours:

a)      Simple to semi smart, as in the Windows Explorer: the selection most of the time changes in both lists and tree views (in tree views the selection does not change when you e. g. do a “open in new window” on a directory, whereas an “Expand” does change the selection. Which makes sense.)

b)      Smart, as in Outlook: the selection does not change in both lists and tree views

My personal preference would be to have the “Smart” behaviour as default in all Cincom Smalltalk products and the “Simple” and “Semi Smart” behaviours as options.

My 2 Cents

Helge

Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von Holger Guhl
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Oktober 2010 11:14
An: Paul Baumann

Paul Baumann

Holger Guhl
-- 
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Reply | Threaded
|

James Robertson-7
In reply to this post by Holger Guhl
On OS X, here's what I see:

Mail.app - same behavior that VW now uses
Finder - right click menu works on the item clicked on, but does not change selection
Numbers - same behavior as Finder

The behavior in Finder and Numbers seems like the kind of behavior you usually want to me.  

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 8, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Holger Guhl wrote:

Paul Baumann

Holger Guhl
-- 
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812
<OldYellowButtonPressed-1.0.zip>_______________________________________________
vwnc mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Baumann

I just tested and found that MS Outlook operates on the focus item rather than the selected items. Sorry. VW 7.7 is closer to how Windows behaves than VW 7.6 was. I think both are wrong, but that is a different issue. VW 7.7 still does more than lists in MS Outlook by selecting an item, but MS has other places (like the file explorer) that do conform to the new VW 7.7 behavior.

Holger, Thanks for the workaround. It is nice to know there is a workaround if the new VW 7.7 selection behavior is causes problems for our existing code.

Paul Baumann

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Paul Baumann
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 17:12
To: Alan Knight

Alan,

You're right. The windows7 file explorer does behaves as VW 7.7 does now with file lists.

>>How are you distinguishing between the focus and the selection in Windows here?

MS Outlook is one way to see the focus indicator and behavior as I've described; it shows a dashed line around the unselected item. The screenshot below shows it:

<picture cut>

It appears Microsoft is not consistent--unless they have a spec that specifies different behavior for lists and icon views.

Paul Baumann

Paul Baumann

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Claus Kick
Just check with Winspector to see whether there are actually the same controls used.
IIRC, Microsoft uses a different control set for office applications, not the standard common controls set.

-- 
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. 
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. 
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy. 
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic. 
Right around the corner of  fear of death, 
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

Von: "Paul Baumann" <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: 07.10.2010 23:12:08
An: "Alan Knight" <[hidden email]>

Alan,

Paul Baumann

Paul Baumann

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Travis Griggs-4
I'm not opposed at all to the Outlook behavior. More of the lists in  
OSX 10.6 do that as well (whereas in 10.5, hardly any did). It seems  
to be an emerging common behavior, at least in some applications.

The more interesting problem (to me), is how to actually pull it off.  
The widget's the easy part. Making a button2Down/up sequence show some  
sort of "focus" feedback other than the selection is probably at most  
an hour's worth of work. The problem is all of the menus that have  
items like "printSelection" whose code reads something like:

self print: self someListThing selection

'selection' becomes an ambiguous query. Is it the currently selected  
item, as per set with button1 and meant to stay that way, perhaps  
setting the state of other widgets (think of the cascading selections  
in the classic 4 pane browser). You can't just say 'selection' now  
means the item that was temporally selected while button2 was down. We  
could add a "focusedSelection" API (pick your favorite alternate  
name), but you'd have to change all of your menu code to operate on  
that query from the list objects.

So I imagine something will change, but I so no way (yet) to just make  
it magically work in all cases, with minimal impact on existing code.

Well, I see *some* ways, but they are absurdly evil and fragile. :)

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist
I multiply all time estimates by pi, to account for running around in  
circles.