[VW] Porting 2.6a2 - WAWalkbackErrorHandler>>handleError:

[VW] Porting 2.6a2 - WAWalkbackErrorHandler>>handleError:

Bany, Michel
Hello everybody,

I am currently working at porting 2.6a2 to VW.

Et ce n'est pas de la tarte, i.e. not a piece of cake in french.

There is something in WAWalkbackErrorHandler >> handleError:
that is not portable.

This code would be better placed in the SeasidePlatformSupport
class with an intention-revealing selector. However I do not
understand what the intention is.

If the author recognizes herself/himself, please let me know
what the intention was and suggest an intention-revealing
selector for that code.

Many thanks,
Michel.

Re: [VW] Porting 2.6a2 - WAWalkbackErrorHandler>>handleError:

Lukas Renggli
> If the author recognizes herself/himself, please let me know
> what the intention was and suggest an intention-revealing
> selector for that code.

I didn't write that code, but I guess it could be refactored to

SeasidePlatformSupport>>openDebuggerOn: anError
        process := Processor activeProcess.
        WorldState addDeferredUIMessage:
                [process debug: anError signalerContext  title: anError description
full: true ].
        process suspend

and in VisualWorks probably to something like

SeasidePlatformSupport>>openDebuggerOn: anError
        anError defaultAction

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [VW] Porting 2.6a2 - WAWalkbackErrorHandler>>handleError:

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 12, 2006, at 6:21 AM, Bany, Michel wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am currently working at porting 2.6a2 to VW.
>
> Et ce n'est pas de la tarte, i.e. not a piece of cake in french.
>
> There is something in WAWalkbackErrorHandler >> handleError:
> that is not portable.
>
> This code would be better placed in the SeasidePlatformSupport
> class with an intention-revealing selector. However I do not
> understand what the intention is.
>
> If the author recognizes herself/himself, please let me know
> what the intention was and suggest an intention-revealing
> selector for that code.

I think the part you're objecting to is a possibly misguided attempt
to prevent the UI thrashing that occurs, generally, when you open a
debugger window from some process other than the UI process.  I say
misguided because although I've tried many solutions to this problem,
I've never been able to convince myself that any of them actually do
anything.  At any rate, it should definitely be moved to
SeasidePlatformSupport (if not removed entirely).

Sorry for leaving it in there; suffice it to say that said thrashing
can be extremely frustrating, and not leave me in the right state of
mind to produce elegant solutions.

As Lukas indicated, I don't think you should try to duplicate it for
VW; just open a debugger in the normal way.

Cheers,
Avi