VW - PostgreSQL question

12

Re: VW - PostgreSQL question

Charles A. Monteiro-2
well apparently BOFs don't get scheduled :) i.e. there are spontaneous but
I definitely would be up for a Gemstone BOF as well as the VW Packaging
BOF. I guess there will be some sort of sign up on some bulleting board.

and ... I ... cannot but ... help ... myself

pls one can't compare what one needs to do to be an Oracle DBA as compared
to a Gemstone DBA. I know I basically was my own DBA at a client site and
an effective one at that, granted for the test "region" but I shall defer
to the BOF :)

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: VW - PostgreSQL question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Can I maintain a large missing-critical GemStone database on a daily basis?
Probably. Do I *want* to maintain a large missing-critical GemStone database
on a daily basis? Probably not. Chances are, I'd hate spending my time
worrying about backups, tranlogs, space reclamation, performance
optimization, replication, mirroring, security and migration to new
versions. That's not what I like to do. I like to develop software, not
maintain the environment, that's DBA's job if you ask me, not developer's,
so where would I find a GemStone DBA to do that for me today? Also, I'm
pretty sure even at the same level of qualifications GemStone DBA would
command a much higher salary than a MSSQL DBA, which is another
not-so-hidden part of the cost of ownership. Like I said, I don't want to
sound as being too pro-SQL, but the fact of the matter is that I've switched
from using GemStone to MSSQL about a year ago and know both sides of the
coin fairly well. Lets see if we can get something going at STS.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

--
Charles A. Monteiro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: VW - PostgreSQL question

Charles A. Monteiro-2
do what companies like FPL did in the "old days" , train somebody. See you
in STS and of course, Norm and Monty :)

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: VW - PostgreSQL question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If this was comp.lang.smalltalk and you didn't have your fire retardant
suite on, I'd feel sorry for you :)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

--
Charles A. Monteiro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: VW - PostgreSQL question

Volker Zink
I don't know the tasks of a Gemstone DBA or MS SQL DBA, but as a part
time Oracle DBA (kind of) i know a bit of these tasks. And for sure i
know them well enough [i really like features like flashback (even a
simple 'select ... as of ... ' is quite nice sometimes), online backup
and recovery with rman (some database files are corrupt/hard disk
crashed/server crashed because there was some test of the power
generator??), ... ] to tell you that this should not be discussed on
this list. Please use email or meet at STS and discuss there.

Volker

Volker.Zink.vcf (328 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: VW - PostgreSQL question

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I was simply pointing out that GemStone *is* a database, and *needs* a DBA
just like any other database. Sure enough their sets of responsibilities
differ greatly, but that's not the main issue ATM.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:
> Can I maintain a large missing-critical GemStone database on a daily
basis?
> Probably. Do I *want* to maintain a large missing-critical GemStone
database

> on a daily basis? Probably not. Chances are, I'd hate spending my time
> worrying about backups, tranlogs, space reclamation, performance
> optimization, replication, mirroring, security and migration to new
> versions. That's not what I like to do. I like to develop software, not
> maintain the environment, that's DBA's job if you ask me, not developer's,
> so where would I find a GemStone DBA to do that for me today? Also, I'm
> pretty sure even at the same level of qualifications GemStone DBA would
> command a much higher salary than a MSSQL DBA, which is another
> not-so-hidden part of the cost of ownership. Like I said, I don't want to
> sound as being too pro-SQL, but the fact of the matter is that I've
switched
> from using GemStone to MSSQL about a year ago and know both sides of the
> coin fairly well. Lets see if we can get something going at STS.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: VW - PostgreSQL question

Terry Raymond
Boris

I can't speak for Gemstone but maintaining an Objectivity
database is trivial. The system I worked on was up 24x7 so
there were really no downtime slots for database admin.
But we managed to schedule GC and backups so they run
as an OS scheduled job.

Do not equate the effort to maintain Oracle with other
DBs.

Terry

Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Terry,

I'm not sure how I can express my point any better, because that's not quite
what I'm talking about. Its not about which database needs more effort to
configure and maintain. It's a typical oranges and apples comparison, makes
no sense. Its also not a factor in deciding which database is "better",
there's just no objective value in this argument. How silly would it be to
compare Oracle and all its hard-earned notoriety with SQLite that is
completely configuration and maintenance free. The conversation started with
someone saying that GemStone should be a clear-cut choice for majority of
Smalltalk applications because of its fit and supposedly affordable new
pricing. I did *not* argue that point at all, but I *do* think it is
important to be objective and not just think about upfront cost and
benefits, but weigh in as many factors as possible into the comparison to
either justify or disprove such a suggestion. It would actually go a long
way towards helping GemStone reach more customers and market their product
more efficiently.

To summarize the example I brought up, if we were to port our
mission-critical application to GemStone tomorrow, we'd have to have someone
around to worry about configuration, backups, tranlogs, space reclamation,
performance optimization, replication, mirroring, security and patch
maintenance as we cannot afford to put development on hold to pay attention
to the backend. Do you think it would be easy to find someone with
experience in all of the above?

Few people have expressed interest in talking about this at STS, perhaps we
should just leave it until then and let everyone be heard without the
distortion effect of the list.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

I can't speak for Gemstone but maintaining an Objectivity
database is trivial. The system I worked on was up 24x7 so
there were really no downtime slots for database admin.
But we managed to schedule GC and backups so they run
as an OS scheduled job.

Do not equate the effort to maintain Oracle with other
DBs.

Terry

Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

sorry if I am being annoying, not sure where to ask this , but what's the
deal with Objectivity, I believe its available in the install but I
usually bypass it and opt for Gemstone. Can one freely use Objectivity?

BTW, To a large extent ( no pun intended) Gemstone can be left pretty much
self running i.e. scripts etc, even some of the "bigger" issues such as
garbage collections which many companies would run like once a month have
been greatly minimized with the new release. But I'm not really talking
about this right now, I'm waiting for StS 2006 :).

bye,

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: VW - PostgreSQL question

Terry Raymond

My response was directed toward your statement that all databases
need a dba. You really don't need a dba with Objectivity. I admit that
someone does need to understand how to optimize it but that is considerably
easier than with Oracle. The other cost point being the need for the
customer to maintain the DB. Again, with Objectivity all that can be
scripted. If you have down time then it gets even easier.

Just because some DBs require a DBA it does not mean they all do.

> Few people have expressed interest in talking about this at STS, perhaps
> we
> should just leave it until then and let everyone be heard without the
> distortion effect of the list.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

I understand now. Of course not every database needs a full-time DBA, I
shouldn't have said that. We have a perfect little StORE database running on
PostgreSQL in the office and no one really pays attention to it beyond
myself checking once a month that backups are being created and auto-vacuum
keeps a good handle on the size. Same with databases we use for development.
But we also have a 24/7 SQL Server database running in production and things
are quite different in that environment. There's *always* stuff to do,
certainly not a full time job for someone quite yet, but we're getting
there. Because as the stakes go up, so does the attention required to ensure
that everything is running smoothly. Over there if things go wrong, its too
late :) GemStone would be the same, not because it *requires* us to baby-sit
it, but because we *choose* to keep a close eye on things and constantly
improve on various aspects, such as performance and disaster recovery.

We're trying to arrange a GemStone session at STS right now, keep an eye for
new there, in the meantime I'll try to refrain from more comments on the
list not to spend any more time than necessary.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> [...]

Just because some DBs require a DBA it does not mean they all do.

> Few people have expressed interest in talking about this at STS, perhaps
> we
> should just leave it until then and let everyone be heard without the
> distortion effect of the list.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any

Yanni Chiu
Mark Pirogovsky wrote:

> PostgreSQL allows columns of a table to be defined as variable-length
> multidimensional arrays. Arrays of any built-in or user-defined base
> type can be created.
> [...]
> Any information is greatly appreciated.

Here's what happens with the PostgreSQL Client (for Squeak, but it
runs in VW, and I can dig it up, if you want it).

I ran:

self execute: 'CREATE TABLE array_test (
        col1  INTEGER[5],
        col2  INTEGER[][],
        col3  INTEGER[2][2][]
        ); '.
self execute: 'INSERT INTO array_test VALUES (
        ''{1,2,3,4,5}'',
        ''{{1,2},{3,4}}'',
        ''{{{1,2},{3,4}},{{5,6}, {7,8}}}''
        ); '.
self execute: 'SELECT * FROM array_test'.

Hopefully, the attached .png shows the explorer on the PGResult.

What it tells me is that the raw communication between the client
and the postgres server represents the array results as strings,
which you then have to parse. The strings look pretty much exactly
like the literal values in the INSERT stmt.

HTH.

pgarray.png (52K) Download Attachment
12