[VW7.2.1 on 7.3 engine] Packaging WindowsGoodies kills start up

[VW7.2.1 on 7.3 engine] Packaging WindowsGoodies kills start up

Stew MacLean

Hi,

I’m trying to package the WindowsGoodies with dire consequences.

When I include WindowGoodies in the packaged image (without making any changes to the .rtp parameters), the image starts and displays the herald very briefly, and then goes “poof”.

It doesn’t even reach the application startUp method, so I’m not sure where it’s failing.

I suspect it’s something to do with the C code in OSSystemSupport, but have no idea as to how to track this down.

Any help in isolating the cause of this is very much appreciated, as this is a “show stopper!”

Thanks,

Stewart

RE: [VW7.2.1 on 7.3 engine] Packaging WindowsGoodies kills start up

Stew MacLean

It wasn’t WindowsGoodies after all! My class side initialization included a call that caused a walkback before the logger had started… hence the “poof”.

Please excuse the panic…

Stewart

Stewart

Re: [VW7.2.1 on 7.3 engine] Packaging WindowsGoodies kills start up

Alan Knight-2
This is likely a startup order issue, where the code is either running before something else that it needs, or the something else has been deleted entirely.

If it's really a showstopper, and you have a commercial license, you are considerably better off to contact support than to rely exclusively on public forums.

A useful, although tedious thing to do is to run the debug VM with the -o10s option, which will produce a not quite exhausive, but very helpful trace of every message that gets executed. It's in sequential order, so it's painful to read, and you probably want to log it to a file, but it's very helpful when you need to debug something that fails before you can get even an error log.

You might also just try making sure that it's keeping all of the WindowsGoodies package, or even running it without stripping at all. If either of those works, then you know it's a problem of too much being deleted, and can try to narrow down exactly what.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

RE: [VW7.2.1 on 7.3 engine] Packaging WindowsGoodies kills start up

Stew MacLean

Thanks Alan for the reply. In fact I did sort this out, and it was due to me not initializing my Currency class properly, which caused a walkback on my System initialization. As I’ve overridden the runtime dumper, and it hadn’t as yet been initialized, I didn’t get a walkback. Hence the panic.

Thanks for the VM tracing tip, hopefully I’ll never need it.

Cheers,

Stewart