[VW7.4] Is it possible to dynamically change LargeSpace size?

[VW7.4] Is it possible to dynamically change LargeSpace size?

Jan Schuemmer
Hi all,

does anyone know of a way to change the size of LargeSpace without
having to snapsot and restart the vm (e.g. by adding some command line
parameters for example)?

I noticed that our application performs better for some use cases with a
20 MB LargeSpace, but on the other hand most of our users have small
machines and don't trigger these use cases (so it would be a waste to
reserve 20 MB of 120 available on the machine just for nothing).
Finally, I don't want to deploy different images for these two settings.
Any ideas??

Cheers
        Jan
--
Jan Schümmer                                   intelligent views gmbh
Development Manager Core Technologies          Julius-Reiber-Str. 17
e-mail: [hidden email]                 http://www.i-views.de/

RE: [VW7.4] Is it possible to dynamically change LargeSpace size?

Terry Raymond
Jan

What you might try doing is set the large space size to
20MB but change the large space tenuring threshold so it
is lower. Then rely on the OS virtual memory manager to
not allocate real memory for the memory you are not really
using.

Terry

Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]