[VW7.4] Publishing base to the STORE

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Hello All,

I am about to migrate our development environment to VW 7.4.  One thing
I always did - published all of the base VW Packages/bundles into our
store repository.  In the past I have experienced various types of
issues while doing this.

I wonder, if anybody did publish VW7.4 into the store and if they had
any negative experiences.

Any information is greatly appreciated...

TIA,

--Mark Pirogovsky

RE: [VW7.4] Publishing base to the STORE

Steven Kelly
We had a nightmare of a time with 7.2 and 7.2.1, but since then
reconciling to the previous version and publishing has been better.
Store still gets confused with overrides, but now the main source of
those in the base, PDP, has been integrated better there aren't so many
problems. There's a little excitement with stuff being moved into new
packages and namespaces, and the usual inane packages whose only change
is the package version number property, but if you've had trouble before
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Providing of course you sorted
out the trouble you already published - if the previous versions are a
mess in the database, reconciling to them and publishing will inherit
those problems.

Still, all in all I believe reconciling and publishing the base is the
right way to go. The ability to see which base packages you accidentally
change or extend while debugging or experimenting is vital - at least if
you view base stuff as something that can be extended and even corrected
if necessary.

Steve

Martin McClure
Mark Pirogovsky wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am about to migrate our development environment to VW 7.4.  One thing
> I always did - published all of the base VW Packages/bundles into our
> store repository.  In the past I have experienced various types of
> issues while doing this.
>
> I wonder, if anybody did publish VW7.4 into the store and if they had
> any negative experiences.

I've published every released version of the base, starting with 7.1.
I've had no problems at all with the past few releases. I also recommend
publishing the base; it can be very useful.

I publish everything in the virgin visual.im. To tidy up the browser a
bit, before publishing I gather up just about everything that isn't in
"Base VisualWorks" or "StoreBase" into a new bundle, which I call
"VisualWorks Extras". Since 7.3, I have to leave "Tools-Debugger" as its
own bundle because of restrictions on overrides within a bundle.

Once I've reconciled and published according to the instructions in the
manual, I save this image, and the team uses this image as the base for
development. This means we never have to reconcile against the base
except when publishing a new version.

-Martin