Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[VW7.4] UNC Filenames not writable?

Rob Vens
I encounter a situation where directories and filenames on network shares are not "writable".
I am working in a Windows environment (Windows XP client, Windows 2003 Server).
In the File Browser I can create and edit files without problem on for example: <a href="file://\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents">\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents
But if I say:
'\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents' asFilename isWritable
it says: false.
Saying: '\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents\Test.txt' asFilename results in a walkback on an "io error".
The problem is that my users are also reporting this error.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [VW7.4] UNC Filenames not writable?

Rob Vens
I have additional info: the space in the path seems to be the culprit. Other directories on the server that do not have one or more spaces in it return "true" when asked if they are writable.
Anyway, when trying to save a parcel to a directory in one such share, I get a walkback in CodeWriter>>checkWritabilityOfAll:errorMessage:

2006/2/17, Rob Vens <[hidden email]>:
I encounter a situation where directories and filenames on network shares are not "writable".
In the File Browser I can create and edit files without problem on for example: \\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents
But if I say:
Saying: '\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents\Test.txt' asFilename results in a walkback on an "io error".

Reply | Threaded
|

Reinout Heeck-2
I cannot reproduce your problem on 7.3.1 or 7.4

Spaces or no spaces in the path.

This was with WinXPPro a client to Win2003Server shares.

Keep looking :-(

R
-

Rob Vens wrote:
 > I have additional info: the space in the path seems to be the culprit.
 > Other directories on the server that do not have one or more spaces in
 > it return "true" when asked if they are writable.
 > Anyway, when trying to save a parcel to a directory in one such share, I
 > get a walkback in CodeWriter>>checkWritabilityOfAll:errorMessage:
 >
 >
 > 2006/2/17, Rob Vens <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
 >
 >     I encounter a situation where directories and filenames on network
 >     shares are not "writable".
 >     I am working in a Windows environment (Windows XP client, Windows
 >     2003 Server).
 >     In the File Browser I can create and edit files without problem on
 >     for example: \\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents
 >     But if I say:
 >     '\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents' asFilename isWritable
 >     it says: false.
 >     Saying: '\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents\Test.txt'
 >     asFilename results in a walkback on an "io error".
 >     The problem is that my users are also reporting this error.
 >
 >

--
Reinout Heeck
-------------
Idle curiosity is the enemy of a quiet life.

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: [VW7.4] UNC Filenames not writable?

Steven Kelly
In reply to this post by Rob Vens

My Documents and a few other system-created per-user directories are marked as read-only by Windows. This sounds unbelievable, but what I think it actually means is that the directory "object" itself is read-only - probably mostly so you can't delete it - without saying anything about whether you can save new files in it. My impression is that read-only is left over from the pre-NT days, before MS had proper user-based permissions for files.

VW will thus report these are read-only (isWritable = false) - I've not checked in 7.4, but it used to be the case.

That still leaves your Test.txt attempt, which I can't explain. I guess you've tried in a virgin visual.im after a reboot of the client and server? I've seen Windows hold on to locks on files until reboot (although the last time was in Win2000). If you can't reboot, just try to a new filename. You could also try manually creating a subdir of My Documents and writing the file into that.

All the best,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 February 2006 10:53
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [VW7.4] UNC Filenames not writable?

In the File Browser I can create and edit files without problem on for example: <A href="file://\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents">\\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents
But if I say:
Reply | Threaded
|

Rob Vens
This error is reproducable in a virgin image and in my certainly not virgin development image. It is also reproducable in a virgin image inside a virgin Windows XP installation inside VirtualPC on my development machine. It is indeed not a "space character" problem because other shares with spaces respond properly.

Anyway: creating a subdirectory as you suggests is possible, and this directory correctly reports being writable. So it seems that you cannot write parcels in the My documents folder directly, but only in subfolders... I will inform my users of this restriction!

Now about the Test.txt error: it seems this only occurs right after testing wether the My documents folder is writable. Evaluating the expression '\\MyNetworkShar\users\rob\My documents' asFilename later or with a different filename does not produce an error!

2006/2/17, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]>:
Rob,

My Documents and a few other system-created per-user directories are marked as read-only by Windows. This sounds unbelievable, but what I think it actually means is that the directory "object" itself is read-only - probably mostly so you can't delete it - without saying anything about whether you can save new files in it. My impression is that read-only is left over from the pre-NT days, before MS had proper user-based permissions for files.

VW will thus report these are read-only (isWritable = false) - I've not checked in 7.4, but it used to be the case.

That still leaves your Test.txt attempt, which I can't explain. I guess you've tried in a virgin <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://visual.im/" target="_blank"> visual.im after a reboot of the client and server? I've seen Windows hold on to locks on files until reboot (although the last time was in Win2000). If you can't reboot, just try to a new filename. You could also try manually creating a subdir of My Documents and writing the file into that.

All the best,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 February 2006 10:53
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [VW7.4] UNC Filenames not writable?

In the File Browser I can create and edit files without problem on for example: \\MyNetworkShare\users\rob\My Documents
But if I say: