VW7.7 deployed on XP

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

We have just moved our application from VW7.6 to VW7.7 and the good news is it works well…  on Windows 7. However if an executable build on Windows 7 is deployed to a Windows XP machine all the text in the UI is rendered using Dingbats or some similar symbol font. Made for quite an amusing bug report really. Has anyone else come across this?

-----
Joerg Beekmann
DeepCove Labs
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T5
voice +1.604.689.0322
fax   +1.604.689.0311

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email contains private and confidential
information. If it is not intended for you, delete it and any attachments.

Re: VW7.7 deployed on XP

Steven Kelly

We don’t see this kind of problem on XP. Does a virgin visual.im look right on your XP machines? If so, presumably you have some changes to the fonts used by VW. If not, maybe you have a font installed on those machines that is at least as good a match to the system fonts’ FontDescriptions.

Steve

Re: VW7.7 deployed on XP

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Steven,

Yea, I actually found the offending call site this morning,

(Screen default defaultFontPolicy availableFonts select: [:ea | 'wingding*' match: ea family]) do: [:ea | ea encoding: 'ms_cp_1252']

I'm not sure why it has such a profound effect, but given that we no longer need this hack for other reasons, I'm just as happy to remove it w/o looking any further :)

Regards,

-Boris

--

DeepCove Labs Ltd.

+1 (604) 689-0322

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, British Columbia

Canada V6C 2T5

http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.

+353 (0)61 714-360

Shannon Airport House, SFZ

County Clare, Ireland

http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

We don’t see this kind of problem on XP. Does a virgin visual.im look right on your XP machines? If so, presumably you have some changes to the fonts used by VW. If not, maybe you have a font installed on those machines that is at least as good a match to the system fonts’ FontDescriptions.

Steve

Re: VW7.7 deployed on XP

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Am 30.04.2010 11:25, schrieb Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (YVR):

> Steven,
>
> Yea, I actually found the offending call site this morning,
>
> /(Screen default defaultFontPolicy availableFonts select: [:ea |
> 'wingding*' match: ea family]) do: [:ea | ea encoding: 'ms_cp_1252']/
>
> I'm not sure why it has such a profound effect, but given that we no
> longer need this hack for other reasons, I'm just as happy to remove it
> w/o looking any further :)

the default stream encoder has changed:

7.6 / Windows:  iso8859-1
7.7 / Windows: mscp1252

so I guess the patched  Wingdings font description suddenly became very
attractive, since the default stream encoding is used in
VariableCharacterAttributes>>updatedQueryFor:.
We had to patch this method and some other places though, to be able to
use the Symbol font again.