VW7.7 -- right-click in lists ...

Dennis smith-4
Is anyone bothered by the change to right-click in a list which now
selects before popping up the right-click menu???

I know, windows does this too -- but I find I cannot get used to it in VW
lists, particularly in the Browser.

Is it just me??

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: VW7.7 -- right-click in lists ...

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
IMHO it's just a matter of habit, so after some time you'll get used to
it. You can override SequenceController>>yellowButtonPressedEvent: for
your convenience, though ;)

> Is anyone bothered by the change to right-click in a list which now
> selects before popping up the right-click menu???
>
> I know, windows does this too -- but I find I cannot get used to it in VW
> lists, particularly in the Browser.
>
> Is it just me??

Re: VW7.7 -- right-click in lists ...

Holger Guhl
Hi Dennis,
I think it's not just you. I confess: I cannot adapt to the new
selection pattern. To be more exact: It drives me crazy. I accept that
VisualWorks should adapt platform UI patterns. But my muscle memory is
always faster with the red button click than my consciousness which is
too sleepy during such routine activity to yell "stop". And: I find it
less convenient to target the mouse pointer to a much smaller "selection
area" compared with the list view's bounding box.
Give it a try and load the attached parcel. Of course, nothing stellar,
simply the obvious. I added an extra Shared Var. to enable/disable the
preferred behavior. So you can load the parcel in a team image, and
individuals who prefer the new standard can have it.

Cheers

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Dennis Smith schrieb:
> Is anyone bothered by the change to right-click in a list which now
> selects before popping up the right-click menu???
>
> I know, windows does this too -- but I find I cannot get used to it in VW
> lists, particularly in the Browser.
>
> Is it just me??

OldYellowButtonPressed-1.0.zip (4K) Download Attachment

Re: VW7.7 -- right-click in lists ...

Dennis smith-4
I have been working with it for 4 days now and I still don't like it.

I will be releasing it to others in our development group -- I will see
what they think, and give them
the option of patching it -- thanks.

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: VW7.7 -- right-click in lists ...

MarkPetersen
Holger,
Thanks for this parcel!  I agree it was probably the best thing to adopt standard behaviour, but I know if I have trouble, my users will as well.  They tend to get very annoyed at changes in behaviour like this.  If I was just starting the application out, that would be one thing, but after 12 years, users expect things to work the way they always have.  Now I just have to get used to losing cntrl-g for := .  I'll probably leave the new assignment (find next) and figure out another shortcut since I use that one a lot.

Thanks again.
Mark Petersen