[VWNC] VW7.9 How to find all string that need to be translated in the UI specs

[VWNC] VW7.9 How to find all string that need to be translated in the UI specs

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Hello there,

I have an interesting problem to resolve.  I have an application which
needs to be translated to the multiple languages.

I did load the "I18n" package which help to find and fix the
irregularity in the messages, like malformed messages, key collisions, etc.

The application has a plenty Dialog interactions like Dialog warn:,
request, etc.  I can find all the senders or #warn:  for example and
replace strings from 'Warning' to the message form:
#Warning<<#dialogs>>'Warning'.

The problem I have is the UI Specs. Are there any tools available to
help me identify where the translations are missing from Button labels,
labels, Menu Items, Window labels, etc.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
--
Mark Pirogovsky

Re: [VWNC] VW7.9 How to find all string that need to be translated in the UI specs

Georg Heeg
Mark,

We have done a lot in this area. In the next version of VisualWorks 7.10
there will be a new package called Internationalizer which has many more
features including what you have asked for. I do not know whether you have
access to VisualWorks Developer Program, if yes, I recommend looking at it.
If not you might consider joining http://www.parcplace.net/. Otherwise you
have to wait. When a windowSpec is outdated a trick can help: open it in the
UI Painter and write it back.

Furthermore there is a package called L10n (Localization) which has also
helpful tools once you have the app internationalized.

If you need help, we can provide services to you, as this is our profession.
Please do not hesitate to contact me. Currently I am at STIC though, thus
slow responding to emails during the day time here in Arizona.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: [VWNC] VW7.9 How to find all string that need to be translated in the UI specs

Randy Coulman
Hi, Mark,

I don't have a good automated way to do this, but something we do for our application is automatically generate a "Mirrored English" translation.  We take our English message catalog and generate a new catalog with every translation reversed from the original English (taking care to preserve substitution macros like <1s>, <2p>, etc).  Then we load up that translation and navigate around our UI.  That tells us pretty quickly where we've missed some strings.

Randy

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Mark Pirogovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Email: [hidden email]
Home: http://randycoulman.com
Twitter: @randycoulman      GitHub: randycoulman

Re: [VWNC] VW7.9 How to find all string that need to be translated in the UI specs

Paul Baumann
Mark,

Use this to search the code for a string pattern:

        | mc matchString |
         mc := MethodCollector new.
         matchString := '*SearchForThis*'.
         mc browseSelect: (mc methodsSelect: [:m|
                matchString
                        match: (m getSource ifNil: [''])
                        ignoreCase: true
        ]).

Execute it (not inspect); it will open a code browser when it finishes. This kind of search is slow, but it finds what I look for.

Another approach is to sample and record the execution context as translations are searched for. If code like (#Warning<<#dialogs>>'Warning') is looking for a translation then modify some of that code to log translation attempts when you visit a window. You'd typically want to configure your logging to have an expiration timestamp so that you can set it to run for the next 30 seconds while you open and click through a window.

Paul Baumann

I have an interesting problem to resolve.  I have an application which needs to be translated to the multiple languages.

I did load the "I18n" package which help to find and fix the irregularity in the messages, like malformed messages, key collisions, etc.

The application has a plenty Dialog interactions like Dialog warn:, request, etc.  I can find all the senders or #warn:  for example and replace strings from 'Warning' to the message form:
#Warning<<#dialogs>>'Warning'.

The problem I have is the UI Specs. Are there any tools available to help me identify where the translations are missing from Button labels, labels, Menu Items, Window labels, etc.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
--
Mark Pirogovsky

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.