VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

Dale Henrichs-3
Hi all,

I just want to give you a short Heads Up on the still upcoming "Vancouver Island Camp Smalltalk3rd - 5th October 2014".

We soon need to prepare and register a meeting place, accomodation options as well as transportation arrangements.
These depend very much on the amount attendees we may expect.

So please, give us a short note if you will join.
We are also interested in your interests/needs/limitations regarding your stay or Camp Smalltalk contributions.
Since there are several ways to reach Vancouver Island it would be very helpful if you could also let us know if you would either reach Vancouver Island by...

...plane/float plane via: Nanaimo, Victoria, Comox
...ferry: Nanaimo (Dukepoint, Departure Bay), Victoria (Swartzbay/Downtown)
...bus (Greyhound): Nanaimo
...or by car.

Please let us also know if you might be able to pick somebody up at on of the just mentioned transportation hubs.

Our email addresses are:

Depending on the participant number we will locate the Camp Smalltalk to Nanaimo or even to Tim's place in Qualicum.
Any additional ideas from locals are very welcome, too!

Please feel free to send this information to additional lists. (already included are: [hidden email][hidden email][hidden email])

Let us know.
Sebastian

[sent on behalf of Sebastian]

re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

ccrraaiigg

     Aw, too bad; I'll be in North America in November, but not October.
Sounds like a great time, have fun!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

timrowledge
Latest news on this -
Go to  https://www.picatic.com/CampSmalltalkVI2014 for the Official Event Page and to grab a (free) ticket. Even those of you that have told us you’re coming should please do that to help us track numbers. We’ve already had to change venue to cope with the increase in numbers. So far it looks like we’ll have a couple of dozen people!

tim
Brain fried; core dumped.

Re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tim, Hi All,

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I just want to give you a short Heads Up on the still upcoming "Vancouver Island Camp Smalltalk3rd - 5th October 2014".

I really, really want to come but I've done as much travelling as I can this year and have family responsibilities.  I'll be thinking of y'all though.  Good luck and be incandescently productive!

[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

Boris Shingarov
Count me in, too!

Talk title: "Reviving Cheese"

Abstract/Background:

Cheese was a Squeak with Native Widgets which I made in 1997/98. There
were two major varieties.  Cheese4's peculiar feature was dual UI
message loop: it started from Squeak 1.30 X11 port on OS/2 (EMX), added
an FFI and used that FFI to implement a native OS/2 Presentation Manager
UI, all the while keeping the X11 UI for development.  The X11 message
loop and the PM/2 message loop ran at the same time.

When Cheese gained enough native-based tools to self-host development,
Cheese5 cut off X11 support in the VM and the BitBlt-based half of the
image; so it's just a native OS/2 application.

These experiments later inspired my work on SWT.

At ESUG-2014 in Cambridge, a number of people asked me where to get a
copy of Cheese.  So I thought it worthwhile to shake the dust off that
16-year old archive, fire up a VirtualBox VM with OS/2, and bring Cheese
to VanIsle CampSmalltalk.

Re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

timrowledge
Hey Boris!

On 18-09-2014, at 4:30 AM, Boris Shingarov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Count me in, too!
>
> Talk title: "Reviving Cheese”
Seriously cool.

This is going to a fun Camp.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut vivas. = Get a life.

Re: VanIsle CampSmalltalk 3rd - 5th October 2014

timrowledge
Camp Smalltalk 2014 is over and I think the general conclusion was that it was Jolly Good. I’ll leave it to other  20 plus attendees to pass opinions and just describe a little of what went on.

The event was held at the Makerspace Nanaimo facility and we had plenty of room, comfy chairs, plenty of food and drinks, a nice projector, and 24/7 access. I think everybody considered it a really good place to hold the camp. We got fabulous support from the Makerspace and they’re (I should say ‘we’ since I’m a member too!) looking forward to doing it again.

People arrived as early as the Thursday and several stayed until late Monday. Most of the action was on Friday/Saturday/Sunday - including the excitement on Saturday of the Makerspace open house mixed with our stuff. That might seem like a recipe for disaster but it had the big benefit for Makerspace of showing off how a very young organisation could host an international conference in a small town that is very keen to make a name. The mayor and several councillors were visibly surprised and impressed. Having the open house also had the side benefit of a pretty damn good bbq being fired up and free burgers and dogs provided.

We kept the formal schedule light, with a few opportunities for talks but mostly just groups self-organising to discuss projects, problems and other news. During the Makerspace event a bunch of people decamped to a lecture hall at the local university to take advantage of higher bandwidth so that a Terf conference could be used. We kept a laptop logged into that displaying on the projector at Makerspace and it was a source of quite a bit of interest. People were quite amazed that we could have attendees from all over the west coast and Canada plus bring in people from Europe and the Moon via the network. Oh, wait, we don’t have that Moon base yet… Damn.

In the evenings we sampled the delights of Nanaimo’s nightlife, which turned out to be fairly nice. Gina’s Mexican restaurant did us very well on very short notice, people enjoyed Fibber Magee’s pub fare (some enjoyed an awful lot of the liquid sustenance too) and on Sunday we got very well fed for brunch at the Coast Bastion and later at Beefeater’s.

Right now we’re seriously considering trying to do this again in 6 months or so. It was *that much* fun.

tim
PS - I know not every attendee reads this list, so feel free to forward this to any other list of relevance
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.