Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

fstephany
Hi there,

I've just started a Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup group. If
you're in the area, it would great to meet around a beer and some
lightning talks.

Cheers,
Francois

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

fstephany
And here's the link:
http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Smalltalk-Developers-Group/

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131

Re: [Pharo-users] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

The UI building process is far behind in Pharo and squeak. We are working on improving this.

This is an old draft of the system.

What we did so far was to build some experiences and learn from them.
Now we are on the edge of getting it right.
We want to
        - define widgets
        - reuse them and their logic
        - compose them
        - build a UI Placer tools (later this year)
Benjamin started to rewrite most of the tools using this approach. For example the new dual change sorter based on spec is around 9 simple methods
binding together two simple change sorter.

We will start now an experience with people not knowing the system to see if they can build simple UI such as Monticello browser.
And we will refine the approach.

Stef

On Apr 2, 2012, at 4:19 AM, Nelson Pingitore wrote:

> Thank you so much for the invitation.  I live near Washington DC.  In the US.  I am a long time Microsoft Visual Basic developer, developing add-ins for Office products such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
>
> So far, I like what I see regarding productivity, a smaller code footprint and if I can make progress on the UI elements, a much better user experience.
>

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just started a Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup group. If you're in the area, it would great to meet around a beer and some lightning talks.
>
> Cheers,
> Francois
>
> --
> http://tulipemoutarde.be
> CA: +1 778 558 3225
> BE: +32 65 709 131

Spec.pdf (905K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-users] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

philippeback
How is this related to ToolBuilder in the image?

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: [Esug-list] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Francois Stephany
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just started a Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup group. If you're in
> the area, it would great to meet around a beer and some lightning talks.

Great ! I will be in Vancouver from April 22 to 25
for the ISCRAM 2012 conference.
Maybe i can meet some Smalltalkers here ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

> How is this related to ToolBuilder in the image?

You mean UIBuilder?
The idea is that this is quite strange that UIBUilder defines the logic of debugger and other tools building.
Now imagine (as this is done in VW) that a tools has a spec that defines how to populate and link its widgets, then
we would not need to have UIBuilder concentrating too much of the logic.

stef

Re: [Pharo-users] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

philippeback
No, ToolBuilder.

ToolBuilder-Kernel
ToolBuilder-Morphic

ToolBuilder cross-refs:

MCWorkingCopyBrowser
and
ThreadSafeTranscript>>openAsMorphLabel: aString

openAsMorphLabel: aString
^ (self buildWith: ToolBuilder default labeled: aString)
openInWorld;
yourself
" ^UIManager default openTranscript: self asMorphLabel: aString

So? Looks like interesting but... what's meant in the spec?

Phil

2012/4/2 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

> How is this related to ToolBuilder in the image?

You mean UIBuilder?
The idea is that this is quite strange that UIBUilder defines the logic of debugger and other tools building.
Now imagine (as this is done in VW) that a tools has a spec that defines how to populate and link its widgets, then
we would not need to have UIBuilder concentrating too much of the logic.

stef

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: [Pharo-users] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

Stéphane Ducasse
Ah ok
ToolBuilder is an old abstraction we removed. It was a visitor based way of building a UI using different builder.
I was however incomplete and not really documented so we decided to simplify everything.

On Apr 2, 2012, at 7:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> No, ToolBuilder.
>
> ToolBuilder-Kernel
> ToolBuilder-Morphic
>
> ToolBuilder cross-refs:
>
> MCWorkingCopyBrowser
> and
> ThreadSafeTranscript>>openAsMorphLabel: aString
>
> openAsMorphLabel: aString
> ^ (self buildWith: ToolBuilder default labeled: aString)
> openInWorld;
> yourself
> " ^UIManager default openTranscript: self asMorphLabel: aString

it should a bug.

Stef

> So? Looks like interesting but... what's meant in the spec?
>
> Phil
>

> 2012/4/2 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>

> > How is this related to ToolBuilder in the image?
>
> You mean UIBuilder?
> The idea is that this is quite strange that UIBUilder defines the logic of debugger and other tools building.
> Now imagine (as this is done in VW) that a tools has a spec that defines how to populate and link its widgets, then
> we would not need to have UIBuilder concentrating too much of the logic.
>
> stef
>

> --
> Philippe Back
> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
> http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges

Re: [Esug-list] Vancouver Smalltalk Developer Meetup Group

fstephany
Hi Serge,

I'll be in Vancouver at that time, let me know in private emails where
you stay, we can have beer and some smalltalk ;)

Francois

--
http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225