Various Questions

Costas Menico-2
I have some questions.

1) When will the DateAndTime and Duration classes be available? I was
hoping they would appear in 4.0

2) In the CHB selector browser pane. Why can the names appear in two
columns when you resize the columns tabs? Is there any usefullness in
this?

3) Where is the best class and method to perform an application start
everytime Dolphin starts up? Is there som class that gets called at
startup? Is

4) Is there a hotkey for Accept in the CHB? is the only way using the
Right-click menu?

And a couple of simple wishes:

1)  I constantly find myself having to copy and paste names of classes
and selector names form CHB, by highlighting them in the method pane
then doing a copy and paste. Thats a lot of mouse clicks.

What would be simple I believe, is to have on the CHB right-click menu
the ability to copy to the clipboard the highlighted class name or
selector name. This way I can go to any workspace and just paste the
text.

Is this difficult to do?

2) Would it be hard to make the CHB selector pane show all the methods
up the ladder of a class?  Maybe an option button to show/hide.

Thanks

Costas

Re: Various Questions

Costas Menico-2
[hidden email] wrote:

>I have some questions.
>
>1) When will the DateAndTime and Duration classes be available? I was
>hoping they would appear in 4.0
>
>2) In the CHB selector browser pane. Why can the names appear in two
>columns when you resize the columns tabs? Is there any usefullness in
>this?
>
>3) Where is the best class and method to perform an application start
>everytime Dolphin starts up? Is there som class that gets called at
>startup? Is
>
>4) Is there a hotkey for Accept in the CHB? is the only way using the
>Right-click menu?

Duh... I should've had a V8.  I looked thru all the Workspace menu and
found it.....

Still I would appreciate a reply to my other comments or
questions.....

>And a couple of simple wishes:
>
>1)  I constantly find myself having to copy and paste names of classes
>and selector names form CHB, by highlighting them in the method pane
>then doing a copy and paste. Thats a lot of mouse clicks.
>
>What would be simple I believe, is to have on the CHB right-click menu
>the ability to copy to the clipboard the highlighted class name or
>selector name. This way I can go to any workspace and just paste the
>text.
>
>Is this difficult to do?
>
>2) Would it be hard to make the CHB selector pane show all the methods
>up the ladder of a class?  Maybe an option button to show/hide.
>
>Thanks
>
>Costas

Re: Various Questions

Ian Bartholomew-3
Costas,

> >1) When will the DateAndTime and Duration classes be available? I was
> >hoping they would appear in 4.0

Good question.....

> >2) In the CHB selector browser pane. Why can the names appear in two
> >columns when you resize the columns tabs? Is there any usefullness in
> >this?

Not really. It may just be done that way so that you can sort on the first
column (showing the icon for override methods) and the names are an unwanted
side effect (I don't think you can normally sort on icon only columns
BIMWBW)

> >3) Where is the best class and method to perform an application start
> >everytime Dolphin starts up? Is there som class that gets called at
> >startup? Is

Arrange for the application (usually in an application's class side
initialise method) to register itself with the SessionManager for
sessionStarted notifications. Something like

MyApplication>>initialize
    SessionManager current when: #sessionStarted send: #wakeUp to: self

MyApplication>>wakeUp
    self show  "or whatever"

At some stage you will have to send MyApplication>>initialize but, assuming
you save the image, you only need to do this the once. Note that if the
application is contained in a package then any class side #initialize
methods are automatically evaluated when the package is loaded.

Note also that if you uninstall the application/package you should
unregister the event or else you will get errors when you start the image
up.

> >4) Is there a hotkey for Accept in the CHB? is the only way using the
> >Right-click menu?

As you have found out Ctrl-S works in most places

> >1)  I constantly find myself having to copy and paste names of classes
> >and selector names form CHB, by highlighting them in the method pane
> >then doing a copy and paste. Thats a lot of mouse clicks.
> >
> >What would be simple I believe, is to have on the CHB right-click menu
> >the ability to copy to the clipboard the highlighted class name or
> >selector name. This way I can go to any workspace and just paste the
> >text.
> >
> >Is this difficult to do?

Not really. For example - to copy the selected method name to the clipboard

1) Edit the "MethodBrowser.Class browser method list" resource and add an
item to its context menu that sends #copySelector as a command

2) Add the following method
MethodBrowser>>copySelector
    self hasMethodSelected
        ifTrue: [Clipboard current setText: self method selector asString]

You'll have to do something similar to the class list to be able to copy
class names as well.

> >2) Would it be hard to make the CHB selector pane show all the methods
> >up the ladder of a class?  Maybe an option button to show/hide.

This has been mentioned before but is I think the feeling is (well I think
it anyway <g>) that it might make the browser a lot more confusing. I get
the feeling that it might also be a bit difficult to implement using the
current class structure - not that I've really looked into that.
However, you can open a method browser all the methods (in Dolphin V4) that
a class responds to using the Class/Browse/All Methods menu option which is
nearly as good?

Ian

Re: Various Questions

Costas Menico-2
<snip....>

>> >2) Would it be hard to make the CHB selector pane show all the methods
>> >up the ladder of a class?  Maybe an option button to show/hide.
>
>This has been mentioned before but is I think the feeling is (well I think
>it anyway <g>) that it might make the browser a lot more confusing. I get
>the feeling that it might also be a bit difficult to implement using the
>current class structure - not that I've really looked into that.
>However, you can open a method browser all the methods (in Dolphin V4) that
>a class responds to using the Class/Browse/All Methods menu option which is
>nearly as good?

I believe this is close enough. Hard to find these things unless you
go to all the menus.  The only place I could find this was on the
right-click menu/browse.  It does not appear on the Class/Browse of
the CHB.

Also whatever happened to the "New" on the right-click in the methods
pane of the CHB. Now I have to use the tiny (m) button on the toolbar.
However it does exists on the right-click of the classes pane.

Thanks again,

Costas

Re: Various Questions

Richard A. Harmon
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:53:12 GMT, [hidden email] wrote:

>I have some questions.
>
>1) When will the DateAndTime and Duration classes be available? I was
>hoping they would appear in 4.0
[snip]

I have implemented <DateAndTime>, <Duration>, and <ScaledDecimal> ANSI
protocol messages for Dolphin 3.06 as part of my ANSI compatibility
project.  They pass the current Camp Smalltalk (CS) II ANSI
compatibility tests.

I'd gladly send the latest version of Dolphin 3.06 ANSI stuff to
anyone that requests it.  This includes base changes and additions for
ANSI, CS II ANSI tests, and my protocol stuff required by the tests.
If you just want the Dolphin ANSI stuff only the first ".pac" file
need be installed.

It is not ready for general release as I am in the middle of
refactoring my protocol stuff and the CS II ANSI tests.  What you get
should be considered experimental.  The <DateAndTime>, <Duration>, and
<ScaledDecimal> stuff seems to work acceptably well and passes the
current tests, but I haven't used them in any applications.

I will release this new and improved ANSI stuff for Dolphin 3.06 (and
4.0 when I get it).  If the CS folks (Ralph Johnson, etc.) incorporate
my refactored protocol stuff and CS II ANSI tests, the new and
improved CS II ANSI tests will be released through their SourceForge
site.

I also have Dolphin CS SUnit ".pac" files that install without error.
Samuel S. Shuster sent them to me in a ".zip" file.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
[hidden email]           E. G. McCarthy

Re: Various Questions

Costas Menico-2
[hidden email] (Richard A. Harmon) wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:53:12 GMT, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>I have some questions.
>>
>>1) When will the DateAndTime and Duration classes be available? I was
>>hoping they would appear in 4.0
>[snip]
>
>I have implemented <DateAndTime>, <Duration>, and <ScaledDecimal> ANSI
>protocol messages for Dolphin 3.06 as part of my ANSI compatibility
>project.  They pass the current Camp Smalltalk (CS) II ANSI
>compatibility tests.
>
>I'd gladly send the latest version of Dolphin 3.06 ANSI stuff to
>anyone that requests it.  This includes base changes and additions for
>ANSI, CS II ANSI tests, and my protocol stuff required by the tests.
>If you just want the Dolphin ANSI stuff only the first ".pac" file
>need be installed.
>
>It is not ready for general release as I am in the middle of
>refactoring my protocol stuff and the CS II ANSI tests.  What you get
>should be considered experimental.  The <DateAndTime>, <Duration>, and
><ScaledDecimal> stuff seems to work acceptably well and passes the
>current tests, but I haven't used them in any applications.
>
>I will release this new and improved ANSI stuff for Dolphin 3.06 (and
>4.0 when I get it).  If the CS folks (Ralph Johnson, etc.) incorporate
>my refactored protocol stuff and CS II ANSI tests, the new and
>improved CS II ANSI tests will be released through their SourceForge
>site.
>
>I also have Dolphin CS SUnit ".pac" files that install without error.
>Samuel S. Shuster sent them to me in a ".zip" file.

I would like a copy if you don't mind. I am using Dolphin 4.0. Will
the .pac work? Also are there any licensing or distribution issues?

My email: [hidden email]

Thanks

Costas Menico