Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
After heartbleed, I've become more security-conscious/paranoid than usual. Here's a little snippet that compares a downloaded Ubuntu iso file to the MD5 provided via SSL by Ubuntu. Not foolproof, but more peace of mind than crossing fingers and hoping for the best on the unsecured http mirrors...

Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'SeanDeNigris' project: 'Superuser';
        configuration;
        loadStable.

"#inform: success or signal an error"
SuUbuntuHash verify: 'ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso' asFileReference.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
SuUbuntuHash verify: 'ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso' asFileReference.
Here's a corresponding version for Debian. It's not complete yet. Assuming SHA512SUMS and SHA512SUMS.sign are in the same directory, it will verify SHA512SUMS, and then verify SHA512SUMS.sign against the key information at https://www.debian.org/CD/verify . That is the only secure channel that I could find to check against.

    SuDebianKey verify: 'SHA512SUMS' asFileReference.

After verifying SHA512SUMS, you would do the same thing that we did before for Ubuntu - find the hash for the iso file and make sure it matches.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After heartbleed, I've become more security-conscious/paranoid than usual.
> Here's a little snippet that compares a downloaded Ubuntu iso file to the
> MD5 provided via SSL by Ubuntu. Not foolproof, but more peace of mind than
> crossing fingers and hoping for the best on the unsecured http mirrors...

thanks Sean, I will use it in a few days when new Ubuntu is out.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Nicolas Petton

Damien Cassou writes:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After heartbleed, I've become more security-conscious/paranoid than usual.
>> Here's a little snippet that compares a downloaded Ubuntu iso file to the
>> MD5 provided via SSL by Ubuntu. Not foolproof, but more peace of mind than
>> crossing fingers and hoping for the best on the unsecured http mirrors...
>

> thanks Sean, I will use it in a few days when new Ubuntu is out.

Me too :)

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sergi Reyner
After heartbleed, I've become more security-conscious/paranoid than usual.
Here's a little snippet that compares a downloaded Ubuntu iso file to the
MD5 provided via SSL by Ubuntu. Not foolproof, but more peace of mind than
crossing fingers and hoping for the best on the unsecured http mirrors...

You know that quote about secure computers that ends with "and even then, I´m not that sure", right? :D

Cheers,
Sergi

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After heartbleed, I've become more security-conscious/paranoid than usual.
> Here's a little snippet that compares a downloaded Ubuntu iso file to the
> MD5 provided via SSL by Ubuntu. Not foolproof, but more peace of mind than
> crossing fingers and hoping for the best on the unsecured http mirrors...

Your code sends #newTempFile but that doesn't exist.

    FileReference newTempfile.

I tried in both Pharo 2 and 3.

Winston Churchill

On Apr 21, 2014, at 3:36 PM, Damien Cassou [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Your code sends #newTempFile but that doesn't exist.
Arg… forgot to specify a dependent package. Uploading a new config now… should work…
Cheers,
Sean

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Arg... forgot to specify a dependent package. Uploading a new config now...
> should work...

nope, still same problem

Winston Churchill

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
nope, still same problem
Of course because I forgot to push the new config :/ Thanks for beta testing! Now, with Dale's advice on how to disable the package cache when simulating a load from the user's perspective before publishing a config (http://forum.world.st/Disabling-package-cache-tp4755672p4755675.html), I am pretty sure it will work. But I'm at work all night, so I will push to sthub tomorrow morning.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I will push to sthub tomorrow morning.
Done. You should now be able to insert and verify your own file into the following:

Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'SeanDeNigris' project: 'Superuser';
        configuration;
        loadStable.

"#inform: success or signal an error"
#SuUbuntuHash asClass verify: 'ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso' asFileReference.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Verifying Ubuntu downloads

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Damien Cassou wrote
nope, still same problem
Did it finally work or did you get tired of beta testing? ;)
Cheers,
Sean

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did it finally work or did you get tired of beta testing? ;)

ok, I've just tried. This instruction

    NBMacShell run: 'md5 "', self fullName, '" > "', tmpFile fullName, '"'.

 returns 32512 and does not write anything in tmpFile. I'm on Linux
and I'm not sure NBMacShell is supposed to work there.

Moreover, #secureUrl is sent on instance side but only implemented on
class side.

Best