Version 4 education centre

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Andy and Blair,

Even though I'm very impressed with the new help system, I noticed that not
all the documentation in the EC has been converted (for example External
Interfacing). Is it the intention to capture those documents in the v4 help
as well or is there going to be another way to access those documents other
than finding them on your website?

Thanks,

Ted

Re: Version 4 education centre

Andy Bower
Ted,

> Even though I'm very impressed with the new help system, I noticed that
not
> all the documentation in the EC has been converted (for example External
> Interfacing). Is it the intention to capture those documents in the v4
help
> as well or is there going to be another way to access those documents
other
> than finding them on your website?

We felt it was important to get Dolphin 4.0 out to the masses sooner rather
than later. We didn't want to delay the release in order to complete the
Education Centre but it is our definite intention to port all of the
remaining stuff currently in HTML into the HTML format as soon as we can.
We'll also be updating the info and adding more as we go. With regards to
your specific query, the section on External Interfacing is nearly complete
and should appear in the download shortly. In the near future our intention
is to have a "paper" manual (well PDF, actually) that also provides the
contents of the Education Centre in a linear readable form.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk Wiki Web
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Version 4 education centre

Blair McGlashan
Ted

You wrote in message news:905f4b$tji$[hidden email]...
> Even though I'm very impressed with the new help system, I noticed that
not
> all the documentation in the EC has been converted (for example External
> Interfacing).

Funny you should mention that, but a further 45 pages of documentation on
External Interfacing and Weak Refs/Finalization have recently entered the
"integration" stage of making its way into the HTML help. The EI part in
particular has been significantly revised and extended to bring it up to
date.

>...Is it the intention to capture those documents in the v4 help
> as well or is there going to be another way to access those documents
other
> than finding them on your website?

Yes, that is the intention. We anticipate that new ECs will be released
fairly regularly as we move material over and add new material.

Regards

Blair

Re: Version 4 education centre

Joey Gibson
[This followup was posted to comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

In article <905i1g$u55$[hidden email]> on Thu, 30 Nov 2000
12:38:06 -0000, [hidden email] said:

||| In the near future our intention
||| is to have a "paper" manual (well PDF, actually) that also provides the
||| contents of the Education Centre in a linear readable form.

<HOMER_SIMPSON_MODE>
        Oooooooohhhhhhh pdf....
</HOMER_SIMPSON_MODE>

        That excites me. I really like having paper copy of documentation
for those times that I want to read something but I'm not near a
computer. Any idea when we might expect to see it?

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
-- Political Rants: www.joeygibson.com

Re: Version 4 education centre

Ted Bracht-2
Blair and Andy,

> Funny you should mention that, but a further 45 pages of documentation on
> External Interfacing and Weak Refs/Finalization have recently entered the
> "integration" stage of making its way into the HTML help. The EI part in
> particular has been significantly revised and extended to bring it up to
> date.

Can't wait - still struggling with my Java interface - hope to find the
answer in there.

Good idea about the PDF as well.

Thanks,

Ted

R: Version 4 education centre

Giorgio Ferraris
>and should appear in the download shortly. In the near future our intention
>is to have a "paper" manual (well PDF, actually) that also provides the
>contents of the Education Centre in a linear readable form.

Hurrahhhhhhhh!!!!  (thanks)
--
Giorgio Ferraris
Eleven srl

Re: Version 4 education centre

ben meyer
I thought Louis Sumberg's extensions to the tutorial were fantastic.  His
writing style also blends well with the object-arts writing style.  Anyway
to include them, or links to them in the updated education center tutorial?

--Ben Meyer

news:905i1g$u55$[hidden email]...