Version Control and new VMs

Fabio Oliveira
Hi,

I started to play recently with Squeak and Smalltalk. My impression is
the Squeak and the Seaside Framework are moving targets, very exciting
pieces of code, but if I start a project this week, in the next week
will be available a new VM, or a new image, a new Seaside version,
etc...

Very good, because it means a very productive and creative community.
But if I have a project, and want to migrate to a new image version?
or to a new Seaside version? What is the right/easy way of doing this?
Change sets?

Maybe my question is how to do version control and manage conflicts?
How to migrate to new images?

Thanks,
Fabio

Re: Version Control and new VMs

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Fabio Oliveira escribió:
> Hi,
>

> I started to play recently with Squeak and Smalltalk. My impression is
> the Squeak and the Seaside Framework are moving targets, very exciting
> pieces of code, but if I start a project this week, in the next week
> will be available a new VM, or a new image, a new Seaside version,
> etc...
I thought the same. I'm new too.

> Very good, because it means a very productive and creative community.
> But if I have a project, and want to migrate to a new image version?
> or to a new Seaside version? What is the right/easy way of doing this?
> Change sets?
Well, you can easy move your projects, fileOut your objects and fileIn
to the new image target.

> Maybe my question is how to do version control and manage conflicts?
> How to migrate to new images?
Well. Are new images but, as other applications, this new versions
aren't stable. You can use this new images for testing purposes, but i
don't recommend you use the new versions of images, packages until are
oficially stable. aren't oficially stable, but soon.

Use 3.8.1 and migrate your code to 3.9 when stable. Then, when 3.9 is
oficially stable, work over 3.9 and test over 3.10/4

See you.

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Linux User: #370919

Re: Version Control and new VMs

Herbert König
Hello Fabio,

FO> I started to play recently with Squeak and Smalltalk. My impression is
FO> the Squeak and the Seaside Framework are moving targets, very exciting
FO> pieces of code, but if I start a project this week, in the next week
FO> will be available a new VM, or a new image, a new Seaside version,
FO> etc...

it's not that bad :-))

FO> Maybe my question is how to do version control and manage conflicts?
FO> How to migrate to new images?

Please take a look at Monticello.
(World Menu, open MonticelloBrowser)

There's tutorials on the web.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: Version Control and new VMs

Herbert König
Hello Giuseppe,

GLP> Well, you can easy move your projects, fileOut your objects and fileIn
GLP> to the new image target.

That's the old way, you can diff that way too (via FileList) but
Squeaks version control is Monticello.

Especially if you want to work with several people on the same project
it's much easier.

Herbert König escribió:

> Hello Giuseppe,
>
> GLP> Well, you can easy move your projects, fileOut your objects and fileIn
> GLP> to the new image target.
>
> That's the old way, you can diff that way too (via FileList) but
> Squeaks version control is Monticello.
>
> Especially if you want to work with several people on the same project
> it's much easier.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]
And what about Monticello 2?

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Linux User: #370919

Re[2]: Version Control and new VMs

Herbert König
Hello Giuseppe,

GLP> And what about Monticello 2?
dunno, I'm just using MC1 for a few weeks.

Is should scale better, from what I read on squeak dev the people
doing squeak 3.9 wished more performance on bigger projects.

For MCZ up to 600K there are no performance problems in my experience.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Version Control and new VMs

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mar, 31/10/2006 alle 19.05 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi ha
scritto:
> Herbert König escribió:
> > That's the old way, you can diff that way too (via FileList) but
> > Squeaks version control is Monticello.
> >
> > Especially if you want to work with several people on the same project
> > it's much easier.
> And what about Monticello 2?

Monticello 2 is still in Alpha stage. But in my experience, if you're
just developing an application, MC1 is good enough.

        Giovanni