Version update to VMMaker on SqueakSource

Version update to VMMaker on SqueakSource

David T. Lewis

Tim,

I committed VMMaker-dtl.87.mcz to the SqueakSource repository, and added a
Mantis entry to document it:
        http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7154

I'm a bit hesitant to write to the VMMaker repository without prior approval,
hence this note. Please let me know if I'm overstepping my bounds.

Andreas,

The change includes a modification to TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
which belongs to you. It should be a safe change, but you may want to check
Mantis 7154 if you have a chance.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Version update to VMMaker on SqueakSource

Andreas.Raab

David T. Lewis wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> The change includes a modification to TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
> which belongs to you.

I have no clue what you mean.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:41:47PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >Andreas,
> >
> >The change includes a modification to
> >TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
> >which belongs to you.
>
> I have no clue what you mean.

Andreas,

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. Tim has put a complete copy of
VMMaker development sources on SqueakSource (http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker>.
He indicated to me off list that I should feel free to add to that
repository.

I am reluctant to make changes to VMMaker without a review process, and
I also have no personal experience with using Monticello in a shared
repository. For both reasons, I wanted to ask on the list whether what
I was doing is acceptable.

The specific change that I made is in change set CaseGenerationFixes-dtl.4.cs
attached to Mantis issue 7154. This includes a change to the
method TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
which has author initials 'ar'. That is why I wanted to call your
attention to this change specifically.

I committed the changes in CaseGenerationFixes-dtl.4.cs to the
VMMaker archive on SqueakSource. The version in VMMaker-dtl.87
contains exactly the changes in CaseGenerationFixes-dtl.4.cs on
Mantis 7154.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Version update to VMMaker on SqueakSource

Göran Krampe

Hi!

David T. Lewis wrote:
> I am reluctant to make changes to VMMaker without a review process, and
> I also have no personal experience with using Monticello in a shared
> repository. For both reasons, I wanted to ask on the list whether what
> I was doing is acceptable.

The nice thing with MC is "that every developer is on his/her own
branch" so to speak. This is a common trait of distributed SCMs typically.

In practice it means that there is no special TRUNK - instead projects
tend to appoint one or a few people the attribute of being TRUNKs :)

For example, in Gjallar I am TRUNK. Everyone else can make any snapshots
they like - either I integrate them or I reject them, simple as that.
The nice thing is that people don't need to worry so much of making
perfect snapshots. If someone wants the latest stable in Gjallar they
just pick the latest gk-snapshot.

regards, Göran

David T. Lewis wrote:
> The specific change that I made is in change set CaseGenerationFixes-dtl.4.cs
> attached to Mantis issue 7154. This includes a change to the
> method TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
> which has author initials 'ar'. That is why I wanted to call your
> attention to this change specifically.

I see. It looks like I touched this method sometime in 2003 but the
method by no means "belongs to me". I think Eliot understands more about
this method than I do ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:40:06PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >The specific change that I made is in change set
> >CaseGenerationFixes-dtl.4.cs
> >attached to Mantis issue 7154. This includes a change to the
> >method TCaseStmtNode>>customizeShortCasesForDispatchVar:in:method:,
> >which has author initials 'ar'. That is why I wanted to call your
> >attention to this change specifically.
>
> I see. It looks like I touched this method sometime in 2003 but the
> method by no means "belongs to me". I think Eliot understands more about
> this method than I do ;-)

Indeed you're right. Checking a Squeak 2.4 image shows that it was written
by John Maloney in 1998. The 2003 change with your initials is a trivial
change to the 1998 method.

Dave