Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

Ben Coman

While I had done the Versioneer tutorial some time ago, I had some
inertial problem using it in anger.  Now I'm happy to report using it
just now to update the ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher was simple and
smooth - which is great since I've never done a Configuration by hand.
I thought it would be useful for others to see how simple it was...

1. Loaded latest ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher.
2. Loaded and tested newer PharoLauncher packages.

3. Opened World > Tools > Versioneer.
4. Selected PharoLauncher and <Open Project>.
5. Selected "development" list item.
6. Clicked <Release Version> and <Ok> to accept auto increment of
version number.
7. Clicked <Commit the project>
Now there is an updated ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher in its Smalltalkhub
repository.

Easy with Versioneer.  mmMmmmm. nice. shiny.....
cheers -ben

Re: Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

demarey
Hi Ben,

Le 22 sept. 2014 à 18:23, Ben Coman a écrit :

> While I had done the Versioneer tutorial some time ago, I had some inertial problem using it in anger.  Now I'm happy to report using it just now to update the ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher was simple and smooth - which is great since I've never done a Configuration by hand.  I thought it would be useful for others to see how simple it was...
>
> 1. Loaded latest ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher.
> 2. Loaded and tested newer PharoLauncher packages.
>
> 3. Opened World > Tools > Versioneer.
> 4. Selected PharoLauncher and <Open Project>.
> 5. Selected "development" list item.
> 6. Clicked <Release Version> and <Ok> to accept auto increment of version number.
> 7. Clicked <Commit the project>
> Now there is an updated ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher in its Smalltalkhub repository.
>
> Easy with Versioneer.  mmMmmmm. nice. shiny.....
> cheers -ben
I'm happy to see that this tool is useful. Still improvable on many points but helps a lot for basic tasks.

Christophe

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

kilon.alios
great tool, the only thing missing is a button to load the configurations/versions.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

Le 22 sept. 2014 à 18:23, Ben Coman a écrit :

> While I had done the Versioneer tutorial some time ago, I had some inertial problem using it in anger.  Now I'm happy to report using it just now to update the ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher was simple and smooth - which is great since I've never done a Configuration by hand.  I thought it would be useful for others to see how simple it was...
>
> 1. Loaded latest ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher.
> 2. Loaded and tested newer PharoLauncher packages.
>
> 3. Opened World > Tools > Versioneer.
> 4. Selected PharoLauncher and <Open Project>.
> 5. Selected "development" list item.
> 6. Clicked <Release Version> and <Ok> to accept auto increment of version number.
> 7. Clicked <Commit the project>
> Now there is an updated ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher in its Smalltalkhub repository.
>
> Easy with Versioneer.  mmMmmmm. nice. shiny.....
> cheers -ben

I'm happy to see that this tool is useful. Still improvable on many points but helps a lot for basic tasks.

Christophe

Re: Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

demarey
Hi Kilon,

Le 29 sept. 2014 à 19:24, kilon alios a écrit :

> great tool, the only thing missing is a button to load the configurations

What do you mean?

> /versions.

To load a version, select a version in the version list, rigth-click and select "load". Isn't it enough?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

kilon.alios
Not really, not if you are a begineer like me and does not come to mind to right click on the entry. A GUI should have as button all the basic functionality. Obviously not all functionality should be crammed into a GUI , though depending on the design thats possible too.

Also I do feel Versioneer can be an excellent tool even replacing Configuration Browser, allowing users to browse through projects in metarepo repositories and choose specific version for each package to load, even display information for those packages.

I love the tool as it is, but I do feel there is a lot more potential in it and I am willing to contribute if that is desirable.

Le 30 sept. 2014 à 11:15, kilon alios a écrit :

> Not really, not if you are a begineer like me and does not come to mind to right click on the entry. A GUI should have as button all the basic functionality. Obviously not all functionality should be crammed into a GUI , though depending on the design thats possible too.

I understand your point. At the same time, I took care to not put too many buttons on the UI to avoid users to be lost. The best thing to do should be in the middle.

> Also I do feel Versioneer can be an excellent tool even replacing Configuration Browser, allowing users to browse through projects in metarepo repositories and choose specific version for each package to load, even display information for those packages.

I also have this feeling. We should just take care to give a way to load a configuration that is not in any metarepo repository.

> I love the tool as it is, but I do feel there is a lot more potential in it and I am willing to contribute if that is desirable.

Of course, all contributors are welcomed. I'm already working from time to time with Diego to merge his Metaceller model with Versionner model. It will open doors to support platform-specific code in dependencies.
I just added you to Versionner contributors. If you want to contribute, please ask me which version to start with because Monticello is a hell to manage parrallel development?

Cheers,
Christophe.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Versioneer. nice. mmMmmm...

kilon.alios
Actually the best thing to do when you 2 choices is to pick the third one. In this case its what I call "double mode" , you see it quite frequently with software synthesizer, as you can imagine a synthesizer is a complex electronic music instrument that can reach up to thousand of parameters easily so what designers have done is to create an easy mode and an advanced mode. In easy mode is for those that want to create sounds on the go, usually that means around 10-30 parameters buttons and advanced mode is divided into panels that can expanded collapse to control the complexity of the GUI that may contain even thousands of parameters.

GUI design is a science and an art but yes you can have your cake and eat it too.

I think with Versioner we can keep it small for now and then if it get a bit more complex go for a double mode.

About collaboration  if you are familiar with git and github then nothing can beat this workflow . You create a repo in gihub, I fork it, and I then send pull requests to you, pull requests do not affect your code and you can choose what to merge and not to merge giving you complete control and me the safety that I wont brake anything. You can also comment the code directly using github web interface and of course the issue tracker for any issue that may be reported. If you are not familiar with git  or dont want to us it , I have no issues committing to smalltalkhub , I will create a mirror repo in github anyway for my work since this is how I work when it comes to my Pharo projects.

The choice is your, I will now start studying the code and see what I can bring to it.

Le 30 sept. 2014 à 15:53, kilon alios a écrit :

> Actually the best thing to do when you 2 choices is to pick the third one. In this case its what I call "double mode" , you see it quite frequently with software synthesizer, as you can imagine a synthesizer is a complex electronic music instrument that can reach up to thousand of parameters easily so what designers have done is to create an easy mode and an advanced mode. In easy mode is for those that want to create sounds on the go, usually that means around 10-30 parameters buttons and advanced mode is divided into panels that can expanded collapse to control the complexity of the GUI that may contain even thousands of parameters.
>
> GUI design is a science and an art but yes you can have your cake and eat it too.
>
> I think with Versioner we can keep it small for now and then if it get a bit more complex go for a double mode.
>
> About collaboration  if you are familiar with git and github then nothing can beat this workflow . You create a repo in gihub, I fork it, and I then send pull requests to you, pull requests do not affect your code and you can choose what to merge and not to merge giving you complete control and me the safety that I wont brake anything. You can also comment the code directly using github web interface and of course the issue tracker for any issue that may be reported. If you are not familiar with git  or dont want to us it , I have no issues committing to smalltalkhub , I will create a mirror repo in github anyway for my work since this is how I work when it comes to my Pharo projects.
>
> The choice is your, I will now start studying the code and see what I can bring to it.

Sorry for the delay. I was about to move Versionner to git but finally, I prefer to wait a bit before switching.
I cleaned up Versionner repository, i.e. give right package names so that we can easily catch branches.
I think it will be the best way to collaborate for now: commit in a branch in the current repository on SmalltalkHub. Please, create a new branch for your contributions, and ping me if you have something to show or if you need help.

Best regards,