Versioning and packaging?

Rob Raisch
I’ve noticed that the majority of projects in which I have an interest, from any repository, like Moose or PetitParser, fail to load into Pharo 8.0 throwing errors related to missing requirements.

For example, filing in Moose into Pharo 8.0 fails with “Error: Cannot resolve symbolic version #release1”.

In the Catalog browser, Moose is tagged with “Pharo3.0”. Does this imply that Moose only works in that version of Pharo only?

PetitParser, which Moose requires, is tagged “Pharo5.0” and PetitParser2 is tagged “Pharo6.0” neither of which will work in Pharo 3.0.

So, I’m left wondering if I’m doing something wrong, and how requirements are supposed to work when there are so many projects that depend on deprecated versions of Pharo.

Thanks.

/rr

Rob Raisch, Internet Handyman

Re: Versioning and packaging?

Guillermo Polito
Hi Bob,

> El 21 mar 2020, a las 18:26, Rob Raisch <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> I’ve noticed that the majority of projects in which I have an interest, from any repository, like Moose or PetitParser, fail to load into Pharo 8.0 throwing errors related to missing requirements.

This is probably because the package mantainers did not have time yet to update to Pharo 8.
Maybe you could contact them individually?

> For example, filing in Moose into Pharo 8.0 fails with “Error: Cannot resolve symbolic version #release1”.
>
> In the Catalog browser, Moose is tagged with “Pharo3.0”. Does this imply that Moose only works in that version of Pharo only?

Nope, this just means the meta-data in the catalog browser is out of date… :(

> PetitParser, which Moose requires, is tagged “Pharo5.0” and PetitParser2 is tagged “Pharo6.0” neither of which will work in Pharo 3.0.
>
> So, I’m left wondering if I’m doing something wrong, and how requirements are supposed to work when there are so many projects that depend on deprecated versions of Pharo.

I think you have been doing nothing wrong. In the last year everything has been moving super fast.
Lots of projects have moved lately to git, but the meta-data associated to those projects is probably in many places and updating all of that is, so far, human dependant and thus error prone.

Guille