Versionner Impressions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Wow, it's light years ahead of where I last saw it! It is already much better than writing configs by hand. I was able to do about 75% via the UI to go from nothing, to an initial commit with a baseline including dependent projects and my packages.

A few notes. It would be nice to be able...
        • to specify other repos for dependent project
        • to select the project's repo from a list if it's already known by the system instead of having to type

Bugs:
        • I added BabyMock as a dependent project, Versionner showed "(stable)" in the UI, but when it added it to the baseline, it was loading bleeding edge
        • Added packages were a mixture of strings and symbols i.e. 'FMOD', #FMODSpecification, 'BabyMock-Core'
        • I added a main repository to Versionner, but it didn't appear in baseline when clicked "update dev"
        • If you accidentally navigate away from the version you're viewing, e.g. by clicking on another version, all changes are lost without warning

Keep up the great work. This is a very important tool!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner Impressions

NorbertHartl
You're using it in 3.0?

Norbert

> Am 03.12.2013 um 06:43 schrieb "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Wow, it's light years ahead of where I last saw it! It is already much better
> than writing configs by hand. I was able to do about 75% via the UI to go
> from nothing, to an initial commit with a baseline including dependent
> projects and my packages.
>
> A few notes. It would be nice to be able...
>    •    to specify other repos for dependent project
>    •    to select the project's repo from a list if it's already known by the
> system instead of having to type
>
> Bugs:
>    •    I added BabyMock as a dependent project, Versionner showed "(stable)" in
> the UI, but when it added it to the baseline, it was loading bleeding edge
>    •    Added packages were a mixture of strings and symbols i.e. 'FMOD',
> #FMODSpecification, 'BabyMock-Core'
>    •    I added a main repository to Versionner, but it didn't appear in baseline
> when clicked "update dev"
>    •    If you accidentally navigate away from the version you're viewing, e.g.
> by clicking on another version, all changes are lost without warning
>
> Keep up the great work. This is a very important tool!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Versionner Impressions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Yea, in 3.0
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner Impressions

demarey
Hi Sean,

Le 3 déc. 2013 à 06:43, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> Wow, it's light years ahead of where I last saw it! It is already much better
> than writing configs by hand. I was able to do about 75% via the UI to go
> from nothing, to an initial commit with a baseline including dependent
> projects and my packages.
>
> A few notes. It would be nice to be able...
> • to specify other repos for dependent project

Can you explain me your use case?

> • to select the project's repo from a list if it's already known by the
> system instead of having to type

Do you mean for a new project? Yes, maybe the developer has already done some commits.
I will add that.

> Bugs:
> • I added BabyMock as a dependent project, Versionner showed "(stable)" in
> the UI, but when it added it to the baseline, it was loading bleeding edge

Indeed. Looks like a bug.

> • Added packages were a mixture of strings and symbols i.e. 'FMOD',
> #FMODSpecification, 'BabyMock-Core'
should be easy to fix

> • I added a main repository to Versionner, but it didn't appear in baseline
> when clicked "update dev"
I also noticed that. It is a bug in MetacelloToolBox. I need to catch it.

> • If you accidentally navigate away from the version you're viewing, e.g.
> by clicking on another version, all changes are lost without warning

It is the first item on my list because you can loose your time here. I will add a warning.

> Keep up the great work. This is a very important tool!

By the way, Versionner will be part of Pharo 3.0 image in a few days.

Thanks for your kind feedbacks.
Christophe.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Versionner Impressions

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Sean,

Didi you compare it to Metaceller in Moose?

Stephan

Re: Versionner Impressions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Christophe Demarey wrote
Can you explain me your use case?
Sure... I installed Phexample via the Configuration Browser, by switching to MetaRepoFor20. The config loaded Phexample from its home repository, sthub/Phexample/Phexample. When I added it as a dependent project, my choices IIRC were the package cache and MetaRepoFor20. I wanted to use the home repo but the widget only allowed me to choose from those two options.

While we're on the subject, repo creation is complicated enough to warrant a nice widget everywhere in Versionner (and maybe port it over to Monticello Browser, whcih is not much better). IMHO, it needs to offer:
- likely repos, like was done above e.g. repos associated to the package in question
- all repos known to image
- create new repo

Christophe Demarey wrote
Do you mean for a new project? Yes, maybe the developer has already done some commits.
I will add that.
Yes, FMOD was one package, so I didn't make a config. Then I wrote tests in their own package...

Thanks again :)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner Impressions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephan Eggermont wrote
Didi you compare it to Metaceller in Moose?
No I don't know about that one (except that it exists)...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner Impressions

demarey
Hi Sean,

I made some progress on the following points:

Le 3 déc. 2013 à 06:43, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
> Bugs:
> • I added BabyMock as a dependent project, Versionner showed "(stable)" in
> the UI, but when it added it to the baseline, it was loading bleeding edge

Fixed

> • Added packages were a mixture of strings and symbols i.e. 'FMOD',
> #FMODSpecification, 'BabyMock-Core'

For this one, I cannot reproduce. Can you give more information on what you did?

> • I added a main repository to Versionner, but it didn't appear in baseline
> when clicked "update dev"
Fixed

> • If you accidentally navigate away from the version you're viewing, e.g.
> by clicking on another version, all changes are lost without warning

Fixed. There is now a warning.

I don't forget the point about repository selection (still in the to do).

Cheers,