Versionner a GUI for metacello

12

Versionner a GUI for metacello

Juan Pablo Sandoval
Hi all,

I would like present you ``Versionner''. Versionner is a GUI for metacello. It supports a simple working style, providing a basic UI set to handle versions: (i)create a configuration (ii) update an application (iii) commit and save all the packages of an application (iv) load an application from a repository. The goal of Versionner, is to not write a metacello version by hand again. Saving and committing all your monticello package, and creating a new metacello version is a one click operation.

You can find more about Versionner here: http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/versionner. Including the install instructions and screenshots.

Regards,
Juan Pablo

Juan Pablo

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Juan Pablo,

On 04 May 2012, at 00:02, Juan Pablo Sandoval Alcocer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like present you ``Versionner''. Versionner is a GUI for metacello. It supports a simple working style, providing a basic UI set to handle versions: (i)create a configuration (ii) update an application (iii) commit and save all the packages of an application (iv) load an application from a repository. The goal of Versionner, is to not write a metacello version by hand again. Saving and committing all your monticello package, and creating a new metacello version is a one click operation.
>
> You can find more about Versionner here: http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/versionner. Including the install instructions and screenshots.
>
> Regards,
> Juan Pablo

This look incredible. It is one of those things that, when you see it, you don't understand why it wasn't there before. This could be a real boost for Metacello. It will certainly help me.

What dependencies does it have ?

What do the Metacello expert think ?

Thanks,

Sven

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Dale Henrichs
Sven,

I'm all in favor of better Metacello tools.

If I'm not mistaken Versionner is an offshoot of the MetacelloBrowser project which slowed down when I ran into the issue of trying to create a cross-dialect toolset ... I wandered down the tODE path...

Alexandre and then Juan kept going and created what looks to be a very cool tool.

Even in its rough form, I found the MetacelloBrowser (and it's variant in tODE) very useful so I encourage all or you to take it for a spin and give Juan plenty of encouragement to keep up the good work!

Dale

| On 04 May 2012, at 00:02, Juan Pablo Sandoval Alcocer wrote:
|
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I would like present you ``Versionner''. Versionner is a GUI for
| > metacello. It supports a simple working style, providing a basic
| > UI set to handle versions: (i)create a configuration (ii) update
| > an application (iii) commit and save all the packages of an
| > application (iv) load an application from a repository. The goal
| > of Versionner, is to not write a metacello version by hand again.
| > Saving and committing all your monticello package, and creating a
| > new metacello version is a one click operation.
| >
| > You can find more about Versionner here:
| > http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/versionner. Including the
| > install instructions and screenshots.
| >
| > Regards,
| > Juan Pablo
|
| This look incredible. It is one of those things that, when you see
| it, you don't understand why it wasn't there before. This could be a
| real boost for Metacello. It will certainly help me.
|
| What dependencies does it have ?
|
| What do the Metacello expert think ?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Sven

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

now it would be good to have versioner not based on glamour.
May be it is not anymore.
We started to rewrite all the (monticello) tools using spec with benjamin and
benjamin will visit santiago soon.
So it would be good to see if a spec based version of versioner could get developed.

Stef

On May 4, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Sven,
>
> I'm all in favor of better Metacello tools.
>
> If I'm not mistaken Versionner is an offshoot of the MetacelloBrowser project which slowed down when I ran into the issue of trying to create a cross-dialect toolset ... I wandered down the tODE path...
>
> Alexandre and then Juan kept going and created what looks to be a very cool tool.
>
> Even in its rough form, I found the MetacelloBrowser (and it's variant in tODE) very useful so I encourage all or you to take it for a spin and give Juan plenty of encouragement to keep up the good work!
>
> Dale

Hi Sven,

About the dependences, We used Glamour for build the UI.
Sorry for the late reply.

Juan Pablo

Juampi

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Stéphane Ducasse
Juan

Benjamin will come around beginning of June to santiago so it would be good that you sit and pair program with Benjamin.

Stef

> Hi Sven,
>
> About the dependences, We used Glamour for build the UI.
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Juan Pablo
>
> 2012/5/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
> Juan Pablo,
>
> On 04 May 2012, at 00:02, Juan Pablo Sandoval Alcocer wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like present you ``Versionner''. Versionner is a GUI for metacello. It supports a simple working style, providing a basic UI set to handle versions: (i)create a configuration (ii) update an application (iii) commit and save all the packages of an application (iv) load an application from a repository. The goal of Versionner, is to not write a metacello version by hand again. Saving and committing all your monticello package, and creating a new metacello version is a one click operation.
> >
> > You can find more about Versionner here: http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/versionner. Including the install instructions and screenshots.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Juan Pablo
>
> This look incredible. It is one of those things that, when you see it, you don't understand why it wasn't there before. This could be a real boost for Metacello. It will certainly help me.
>
> What dependencies does it have ?
>
> What do the Metacello expert think ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Juampi

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Juan Pablo Sandoval
sounds good, I'll be waiting :)

Also I will talk with Alexandre about it.

Juan Pablo

Juampi

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
You can find more about Versionner here: http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/
versionner. Including the install instructions and screenshots.
Cool tool!

About the load instructions...
* you probably don't need all of Glamour if you're just using the browser stuff (I never load it all)
* Metacello is great at managing package dependencies, so your config should load Glamour - no separate step needed.

I'm attaching a new version of the config that loads Glamour and loads everything ~4.5X faster (only Core and Morphic from Glamour).

ConfigurationOfVersionner.st
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Stéphane Ducasse
cool
ben just told me that juan is working on a spec version so we will be able to include it in the system.

Stef

On Jun 8, 2012, at 11:36 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
>>
>> You can find more about Versionner here:
>> http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/
>> versionner. Including the install instructions and screenshots.
>>

> Cool tool!
>
> About the load instructions...
> * you probably don't need all of Glamour if you're just using the browser
> stuff (I never load it all)
> * Metacello is great at managing package dependencies, so your config should
> load Glamour - no separate step needed.
>
> I'm attaching a new version of the config that loads Glamour and loads
> everything ~4.5X faster (only Core and Morphic from Glamour).
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n4633954/ConfigurationOfVersionner.st
> ConfigurationOfVersionner.st

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Juan Pablo Sandoval
Hi Sean,

Thank you for the new version of the config.

As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :). I will send a notification when ready.

Cheers,
Juan Pablo

Juampi

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :)
I'm wondering whether using spec this early will limit the audience for your tool... Metacello is cross-platform. Also, Pharo 1.4 doesn't have spec, does it? Won't spec mean that Versionner can only be used in Pharo 2.0, which is months away?

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Spec is working in Pharo1.4 without any problem (it's actually used by nautilus :) )

In addition, I would say that Spec has been designed in a way it can be easily plugged on top of any graphical library :)

Ben

On Jun 9, 2012, at 11:35 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
>>
>> As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :)
>
> I'm wondering whether using spec this early will limit the audience for your
> tool... Metacello is cross-platform. Also, Pharo 1.4 doesn't have spec, does
> it? Won't spec mean that Versionner can only be used in Pharo 2.0, which is
> months away?
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
Spec is working in Pharo1.4 without any problem (it's actually used by nautilus :) )

In addition, I would say that Spec has been designed in a way it can be easily plugged on top of any graphical library :)
Excellent - full retraction ;-)
Cheers,
Sean

On Jun 10, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
>>
>> As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :)
>
> I'm wondering whether using spec this early will limit the audience for your
> tool... Metacello is cross-platform. Also, Pharo 1.4 doesn't have spec, does
> it? Won't spec mean that Versionner can only be used in Pharo 2.0, which is
> months away?

everybody is free to develop the tools he wants on his platform.
For us it will be spec.

> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Dale Henrichs
Stef, Sean,

I think this is the best answer ... the cross-platform GUI options are too limited and the Metacello tool needs to be integrated into the dev environment to work well ...

FWIW, the MetacelloToolBox should be used as much as possible so that the underlying operations performed by the tools are as consistent as possible ... I am very interested in working with the tool builders to make sure of that consistency ...

Dale

| On Jun 10, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
|

| > Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
| >>
| >> As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :)
| >
| > I'm wondering whether using spec this early will limit the audience
| > for your
| > tool... Metacello is cross-platform. Also, Pharo 1.4 doesn't have
| > spec, does
| > it? Won't spec mean that Versionner can only be used in Pharo 2.0,
| > which is
| > months away?
|
| everybody is free to develop the tools he wants on his platform.
| For us it will be spec.
|

| > Cheers,
| > Sean
| >
| > --
| > Nabble.com.

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Juan Pablo Sandoval wrote
Thank you for the new version of the config.

As Stef wrote, I am working in a Spec version of Versionner :). I will send
a notification when ready.
Hey Juan! I've been playing with the old Glamour version and it's fun to have a tool for Metacello :)

A few quick things about the config:
* while you're working on the spec version, please integrate my config so we can play with it without loading the full Glamour :) It only changes the 1.0 baseline, so it should not effect your current work (and remove Glamour from the load instructions since it's loaded automatically now)
* I noticed you are creating version 1.20, 1.21, etc., all with little fixes and "blessing: #'development'". After many conversations with Dale, I now understand that the point of marking a version #'development' is so you can change it without making new version numbers.
* the default for Metacello is to load all packages, so the last line of your baselines (spec group: 'default' with: #(...).) is unnecessary and creates the burden of having to be manually updated if your project structure changes
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Juan Pablo Sandoval
Hi Sean,

Thank you for your comments and for use Versionner.

A few quick things about the config:
* while you're working on the spec version, please integrate my config so we
can play with it without loading the full Glamour :) It only changes the 1.0
baseline, so it should not effect your current work (and remove Glamour from
the load instructions since it's loaded automatically now)

Yes, I used your configuration that you sent me. Now you can use the following instructions to load Versionner without loading the full Glamour.

-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-
Gofer new
   package: 'ConfigurationOfVersionner';
   load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfVersionner) perform: #loadWithGlamour
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-

* I noticed you are creating version 1.20, 1.21, etc., all with little fixes
and "blessing: #'development'". After many conversations with Dale, I now
understand that the point of marking a version #'development' is so you can
change it without making new version numbers.

Yes, I am fixing some bugs in Versionner. I will take into account your recommendation

* the default for Metacello is to load all packages, so the last line of
your baselines (spec group: 'default' with: #(...).) is unnecessary and
creates the burden of having to be manually updated if your project
structure changes

I didn't know that, you're right . I removed it. Thank you :)

Juan Pablo

Cool! Thanks, your work is really important. Don't forget to update http://users.dcc.uchile.cl/~jsandova/versionner/install.html
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Versionner a GUI for metacello

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I made a few enhancements to ConfigurationOfVersionner:
* allowing it to load (development version) on 2.0
* fixing it for the new Metacello bootstrap, which no longer loads the Toolbox

ConfigurationOfVersionner-SeanDeNigris.63
* Update for new Metacello bootstrap (no longer loads by default
  - Add 'Metacello Toolbox' project to baseline 1.2
  - Add 'Metacello Toolbox' as a dependency of Versionner-Core-Model
* Fix for Pharo 2.0 - Use #'development' version of 'Glamour for Versionner'
* Tiny refactor of loadWithGlamour to send #stableVersion instead of "version: #stable"

ConfigurationOfVersionner-SeanDeNigris.63.mcz (16K) Download Attachment
Cheers,
Sean
12