VerveineJ/Java and activations from non java code

VerveineJ/Java and activations from non java code

Holger Freyther
Hi again,

I am still exploring moose and my immediate usage is to identify dead code
(classes, methods, variables). There are two issues I am facing with
false-positive.

1.) In java a lot is configured/instantiated via the usage of XML. E.g. the
Log4J configuration happens via xml, another example would be the menu
structure of an Eclipse plugin.
What would be the easiest way to represent these usages in a .mse file? Is
there a tool to merge two .mse files or combine them?

2.) The attribute/field detection of verveineJ does not see all variable
usages, e.g. it appears that it can not resolve a "this.foo" properly (e.g. in
a constructor, or in an anonymous class). I will try to have a minimal
testcase to show this issue (as my time permits).

holger

Re: VerveineJ/Java and activations from non java code

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I am still exploring moose and my immediate usage is to identify dead code
> (classes, methods, variables). There are two issues I am facing with
> false-positive.
>
> 1.) In java a lot is configured/instantiated via the usage of XML. E.g. the
> Log4J configuration happens via xml, another example would be the menu
> structure of an Eclipse plugin.
> What would be the easiest way to represent these usages in a .mse file?

I do not think that it should be done at the level of mse but the meta model

> Is there a tool to merge two .mse files or combine them?
Not for now.
But depending on the interest it could be done.

> 2.) The attribute/field detection of verveineJ does not see all variable
> usages, e.g. it appears that it can not resolve a "this.foo" properly (e.g. in
> a constructor, or in an anonymous class).

do you have an example.

> I will try to have a minimal
> testcase to show this issue (as my time permits).

Thx

> holger

Re: VerveineJ/Java and activations from non java code

Nicolas Anquetil
On 11/03/12 20:12, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
[...]
>> Is there a tool to merge two .mse files or combine them?
> Not for now.
> But depending on the interest it could be done.
VerveineJ allows to do incremental parsing.
It means you can parse part of a project, and then another part.

This works by loading at startup any output.mse file in the current
directory, and adding to it the entities from the second (third, ...) part.

May be you could try to use this to "merge" mse files.

Create the first MSE (output.mse)
keep it in the directory you are running verveinej and parse the second
project.

nicolas