Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

asanzo
Hi everyone!

In our project we just installed new VA 8.5.2, and we are migrating from VA 6.0. We developers use to work from home, connected to a VPN in which the library is hosted.

The problem we are having is that new VA 8 client image is extremely slow in comparison to the old VA6. Specially the Configuration Maps Browser. We have to wait 5 minutes after each click! With old VA6 this was just a couple of seconds, 10 at most.
We think this is somehow related to ENVY.

Has someone experienced this problem before?

And our most important questions are:
  1. Is there a checklist of things we can try for speeding up?
  2. Does VA/ENVY support local AND remote work? I think this would be like working with two libraries at the same time. (I'm thinking in something simmilar to GIT here)

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Cordially,

Alfredo

Re: Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

Wayne Johnston
See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/W3hOEvtG4wA

Re: Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

asanzo
I can't express how grateful AND embarrassed I am for not having found that.

Thanks, Wayne! That solves the issue :)

2013/6/17 Wayne Johnston <[hidden email]>
See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/W3hOEvtG4wA

Re: Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

John O'Keefe-3
Alfredo -

One difference that can cause you problems is that in VA 8.5.2 the VA Assist feature is loaded and active by default. This provides a lot of additional function to you as a developer, but it also can negatively affect performance when running against a manager that is not local (LAN-attached).

Here are some suggestions to reduce the effect of a remote manager:
  1. Q: Why does the Configuration Map Browser seem sluggish?
  2. If your manager has a large number of configuration maps, you can limit the maps that the Configuration Maps Browser will display by selecting Names -> View -> SetNamePatterns... from the menu and then selecting one or more patterns to match from the list. Then select Names -> View -> Matching Patterns to see only those maps matching the patterns you previously selected. Use Names -> View -> All to get back to seeing all the maps.

John

On Monday, June 17, 2013 1:04:05 PM UTC-4, Alf Sanzo wrote:
[...]

In Windows 7 Microsoft changed some fundamental algorithms for message packing in their TCP/IP support. The effect is a slowdown in traffic to the manager (for some users, but not all users -- we have never been able to reproduce the problem here) on Windows 7. The updated emsrv50.dll is changed to account for these changes in TCP/IP. The modified emsrv50.dll has had limited usage and we have not yet decided if we are sufficiently comfortable with shipping it in the next version of VA Smalltalk.

John

2013/6/17 Alfredo Sanzo <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="cySDYqpZ25UJ">alfred...@...>

2013/6/17 Wayne Johnston <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="cySDYqpZ25UJ">wa...@...>
See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/W3hOEvtG4wA

Re: Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

asanzo
Dear Folks,

Sorry or the delay in closing this. We've gone through all tips, they were excellent.
Thanks Wayne and John. You've been most helpful :)

See you around :)

Kind regards,

Alfredo

El miércoles, 19 de junio de 2013 18:18:48 UTC-3, John O'Keefe escribió:
[...]

John, were the changes to emsrv50.dll ever made official?  I am wondering if there is an unofficial one that may speed up config map loading/browsing.  We are experiencing slowness on machines that have been moved around between clouds, even between the Envy repository machine and clients on the same server.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Yes we know of features to turn off to make config map browsing faster.

Re: Very Slow Developing - VA8.5.2 - ENVY Related?

Seth Berman
Hello Wayne,

There are a lot of situation specific variables here that could be causing issues.  Please send in a support case and we can work with you to find out what's going on.

-- Seth