Very tiny fonts

Marcus Denker-3
Hi,

While discussing Visualisations, we realized we want *really* tiny fonts...

Here is a hand-drawn sub-pixel font that is just 5 pixels high...

        http://typophile.com/node/61920

Now we need to make a font for Pharo...

        Marcus

Re: Very tiny fonts

Marcus Denker-3

On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While discussing Visualisations, we realized we want *really* tiny fonts...
>
> Here is a hand-drawn sub-pixel font that is just 5 pixels high...
>
> http://typophile.com/node/61920
>

> Now we need to make a font for Pharo...

we should check in addition how good/bad freetype or the mac renderes tinty fonts from
the standard truetype fonts.

        Marcus

Re: Very tiny fonts

Adrian Lienhard
What is the point of a font so small that I can hardly read it?

Or is it just me and I need new glasses?

Adrian

On Dec 2, 2009, at 18:09 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While discussing Visualisations, we realized we want *really* tiny
>> fonts...
>>
>> Here is a hand-drawn sub-pixel font that is just 5 pixels high...
>>
>> http://typophile.com/node/61920
>>

>> Now we need to make a font for Pharo...
>
> we should check in addition how good/bad freetype or the mac
> renderes tinty fonts from
> the standard truetype fonts.
>
> Marcus

Re: Very tiny fonts

Stéphane Ducasse
visualizations.
We would love to have such a tiny font. If I would know how to do that I would already have done it.

Stef

On Dec 2, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> What is the point of a font so small that I can hardly read it?
>
> Or is it just me and I need new glasses?
>
> Adrian
>
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 18:09 , Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While discussing Visualisations, we realized we want *really* tiny
>>> fonts...
>>>
>>> Here is a hand-drawn sub-pixel font that is just 5 pixels high...
>>>
>>> http://typophile.com/node/61920
>>>

>>> Now we need to make a font for Pharo...
>>
>> we should check in addition how good/bad freetype or the mac
>> renderes tinty fonts from
>> the standard truetype fonts.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Very tiny fonts

Tudor Girba
Indeed, that would be great to have.

Doru

On 2 Dec 2009, at 22:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> visualizations.
> We would love to have such a tiny font. If I would know how to do
> that I would already have done it.
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> What is the point of a font so small that I can hardly read it?
>>
>> Or is it just me and I need new glasses?
>>
>> Adrian

>>> we should check in addition how good/bad freetype or the mac
>>> renderes tinty fonts from
>>> the standard truetype fonts.
>>>
>>> Marcus

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: Very tiny fonts

juan

do you have some code that we could study to turn this micro police into font in our smalltalk :)

Stef
On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While discussing Visualisations, we realized we want *really* tiny fonts...
>
> Here is a hand-drawn sub-pixel font that is just 5 pixels high...
>
> http://typophile.com/node/61920
>

> Now we need to make a font for Pharo...
>
> Marcus

Re: Very tiny fonts

Marcus Denker-3

On Dec 2, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> What is the point of a font so small that I can hardly read it?
>
> Or is it just me and I need new glasses?

Maybe ;-)

No, the idea was that for a visualisation, showing e.g. class names, having a font like that should
be enough to know what class you look at... or as a label, to help those people who just cant remember
which color has which of 5 different meanings.

Microprint show information even though you can't read anything: http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Robb05b-microprintsESUG.pdf
So readability is not always needed to convey information contained in text.

        Marcus