Video Media in Squeak

Bruno Giacomelli
Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm planning to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).

Thanks in advance!

Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Karl Ramberg
JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer

karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm planning
> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Hannes Hirzel
How do I convert movies into JMV?

Hannes

On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>
> karl
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>> planning
>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 20.04.2010, at 22:10, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm planning to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).

What do you mean by "manipulate"?

There is VideoFlow which is pretty cool (scroll down to the screenshots):

If it's just for playback, the only cross-plattform option right now is MPEG for which we have a general plugin. For Mac and Windows, the Sophie folks made nice players via FFI, based on QuickTime I think. On Linux there is a GStreamer plugin.

For camera access, there is Scratch's x-platform CameraPlugin. Etoys on Linux uses a V4L plugin. For Windows there is a "DShowVideoDecoderPlugin".

- Bert -

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Karl Ramberg
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bruno Giacomelli
Nice! Thank you guys for the support!

I think a better word is "handle" videos instead of "manipulate".

So, it was said that there's only one option of plugin right now (MPEG) for cross-platform. Considering that my application will run only with windows systems, is there any way to work with AVI and WMV formats as well?

Thanks in advance

2010/4/20 karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 22.04.2010, at 14:36, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
Nice! Thank you guys for the support!

I think a better word is "handle" videos instead of "manipulate".

So, it was said that there's only one option of plugin right now (MPEG) for cross-platform. Considering that my application will run only with windows systems, is there any way to work with AVI and WMV formats as well?

I'm pretty sure that Sophie handles that. Just try:

- Bert -

Thanks in advance

2010/4/20 karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bruno Giacomelli
Thanks so much, I'll try Sophie :)

Cya

2010/4/22 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
On 22.04.2010, at 14:36, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
Nice! Thank you guys for the support!

I think a better word is "handle" videos instead of "manipulate".

So, it was said that there's only one option of plugin right now (MPEG) for cross-platform. Considering that my application will run only with windows systems, is there any way to work with AVI and WMV formats as well?

I'm pretty sure that Sophie handles that. Just try:

- Bert -

Thanks in advance

2010/4/20 karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bruno Giacomelli
Sorry to bother once again, but now I come with what that might seen a very begginer question: how can I use Sophie inside a Squeak project? I've looking ways to handle video media but I think I'm not getting a good progress on the language, maybe.

Another questions:
  • Where can I find ealier versions of Squeak? It appears that my version Squeak 4.1 (released on 17 April 2010) don't have compatibility with MPEGMoviePlayer yet, I think.

What I'm trying to do is make an aplication to play different video formats.

If someone know differente alternatives to handle movies, please contribute, I would appreciate :)

Thanks in advance!

2010/4/22 Bruno Giacomelli <[hidden email]>
Thanks so much, I'll try Sophie :)

Cya

2010/4/22 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
On 22.04.2010, at 14:36, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
Nice! Thank you guys for the support!

I think a better word is "handle" videos instead of "manipulate".

So, it was said that there's only one option of plugin right now (MPEG) for cross-platform. Considering that my application will run only with windows systems, is there any way to work with AVI and WMV formats as well?

I'm pretty sure that Sophie handles that. Just try:

- Bert -

Thanks in advance

2010/4/20 karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:08:41PM -0300, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:

> Sorry to bother once again, but now I come with what that might seen a very
> begginer question: how can I use Sophie inside a Squeak project? I've
> looking ways to handle video media but I think I'm not getting a good
> progress on the language, maybe.
>
> Another questions:
>
>    - Where can I find ealier versions of Squeak? It appears that my version
>    Squeak 4.1 (released on 17 April 2010) don't have compatibility with
>    MPEGMoviePlayer yet, I think.

I cannot answer your Sophie question, but you can find older versions
of Squeak at ftp.squeak.org. Many of these older versions are quite interesting
in their own right, and some contain things that are no longer available
in newer Squeak images. It is worth downloading a few of them just to
explore.

Dave

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Bert Freudenberg
On 27.04.2010, at 02:22, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:08:41PM -0300, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
>> Sorry to bother once again, but now I come with what that might seen a very
>> begginer question: how can I use Sophie inside a Squeak project?

You can look at how the Sophie developers did it, and adopt it for your own use.

- Bert -

Re: Video Media in Squeak

dcorking
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:08:41PM -0300, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:

>>    - Where can I find ealier versions of Squeak? It appears that my version
>>    Squeak 4.1 (released on 17 April 2010) don't have compatibility with
>>    MPEGMoviePlayer yet, I think.

Bruno, MPEGPlayer is in the 3.9 images.

Damien Cassou's images of Squeak 3.9 are good, but his old page at
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html seems to have an outdated
forwarding address, so I can't direct you to his latest from 2009.

An incomplete archive of Damien's images is at
http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/old/
Try http://squeak.ofset.org/squeak-web/old/sq3.9.1-7075web08.05.2.zip from 2008.

Click on the world desktop, and select 'objects' from the world menu -
MPEGPlayer is in the object browser.  Its class is
MPEGMoviePlayerMorph.  It is drag and drop, and plays MPEG-1 movies,
such as the CASTLE.mpg clip in the Croquet 1.0 SDK.

Hope that helps.  David

Re: Video Media in Squeak

Karl Ramberg
package seems to be missing in Squeak4.1....

You can load it from Squeak3.9 repository:

Add repository to Monticello:

MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://source.squeak.org/39a'
user: ''
password: ''

Load package Movies

It complains about dependensies, proceed trough that.

Comment out the line
self initializeSubtitlesDisplayer in MPEGDisplayMorph>>initialize.

Now you should have the MPEGPlayerMorph in the Objects tool Multimedia category

Karl

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Bruno Giacomelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry to bother once again, but now I come with what that might seen a very begginer question: how can I use Sophie inside a Squeak project? I've looking ways to handle video media but I think I'm not getting a good progress on the language, maybe.

Another questions:
  • Where can I find ealier versions of Squeak? It appears that my version Squeak 4.1 (released on 17 April 2010) don't have compatibility with MPEGMoviePlayer yet, I think.

What I'm trying to do is make an aplication to play different video formats.

If someone know differente alternatives to handle movies, please contribute, I would appreciate :)

Thanks in advance!

2010/4/22 Bruno Giacomelli <[hidden email]>

Thanks so much, I'll try Sophie :)

Cya

2010/4/22 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
On 22.04.2010, at 14:36, Bruno Giacomelli wrote:
Nice! Thank you guys for the support!

I think a better word is "handle" videos instead of "manipulate".

So, it was said that there's only one option of plugin right now (MPEG) for cross-platform. Considering that my application will run only with windows systems, is there any way to work with AVI and WMV formats as well?

I'm pretty sure that Sophie handles that. Just try:

- Bert -

Thanks in advance

2010/4/20 karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
Open MPEGMoviePlayer and click on the menu. There should be some options there.
Convert a mpeg movie or a folder of pictures.

Karl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I convert movies into JMV?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/20/10, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> JMV is a Squeak jpg videoformat
>> Plays with MPEGMoviePlayer
>>
>> karl
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Bruno Giacomelli
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Which are the best classes to manipulate video media in Squeak? I'm
>>> planning
>>> to make a little video player application with Squeak and didn't find
>>> nothing really useful at Google (I'll try harder).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Bruno

Re: Video Media in Squeak

dcorking
Karl wrote:
> Hi,
> package seems to be missing in Squeak4.1....

Thanks to Karl's post I was able to dig out the announcement that its
deletion from 3.10 and subsequent releases:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2008-May/004303.html
"[ANN] 3.10 is Final, over, finito ..."

Also saw a patch that might help you, Bruno, if you need subtitles:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-October/121384.html

Finally Bruno, here are some programming tips from John McIntosh who
wrote the MPEG player plugin for the virtual machine:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/squeak-list/3424401