Video of Rob's Smalltalk in Healtcare talk on StS08

Video of Rob's Smalltalk in Healtcare talk on StS08

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

James Roberson prepared also video of Rob Rothwell's presentation about
Smalltalk in Healthcare on Smalltalk Solutions in Reno.

I looked few minutes so far and all kudos to Rob for that very
interesting and well presented talk, which had quite some echo in
Smalltalk community, because we are really hungry of experience reports
like this one.

Video smaller
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_small.mp4
Video large (300M mp4):
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_large.mp4
Google Video:
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6463332462056589862&hl=en&fs=true

Slides:
ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/rueger-mivsek-aida-scribo-sts08.pdf

James's blog post:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?entry=3398393139

And yes, thanks again to James for videotaping the presentation!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Video of Rob's Smalltalk in Healtcare talk on StS08

Rob Rothwell
Just to follow up on this, I have started simplifying my model, but am still Aida-based for any home-grown solutions I come up with...!  I have gone with SIMPLE and am using a combination of SandstoneDb and the image for my persistance needs at this time in Squeak.

I am also exploring some ideas with another Smalltalk-based product from MioSoft (www.miosoft.com), which has a VisualWorks-based product that allows you to graphically describe your model, connect it to any number of data sources of multiple types, and through a process of "continuous integration" add manually entered data through a web interface as desired (to paraphrase the product--thanks Bert!).

Doug Rogers (VisualWorks) hooked me up with MioSoft, which was only possible because of Smalltalk Solutions!  And so, like I said, I remain devout in my belief that the BEST way to work on such problems as I describe facing Healthcare is with a dynamic language such as Smalltalk!

Hopefully next year I can report on some progress!

Thank you all for your support,

Rob

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rob,

I make quite some thoughts on recent months how to use Aida on the top
of such domain models you are using. Or more general, on the top of
relational databases. Giorgio Ferraris also had somehow similar problems
as you have. On the other side I last used relational databases  more
than 10 years ago. That's why I probably don't understand the problem
well enough. But I'm sure Aida can cover RDB domains too. We just need
to develop an appropriate pattern.

So far for now, I need to look your talk to the end first :)

Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Just to follow up on this, I have started simplifying my model, but am
> still Aida-based for any home-grown solutions I come up with...!  I have
> gone with SIMPLE and am using a combination of SandstoneDb and the image
> for my persistance needs at this time in Squeak.
>
> I am also exploring some ideas with another Smalltalk-based product from
> MioSoft (www.miosoft.com <http://www.miosoft.com>), which has a
> VisualWorks-based product that allows you to graphically describe your
> model, connect it to any number of data sources of multiple types, and
> through a process of "continuous integration" add manually entered data
> through a web interface as desired (to paraphrase the product--thanks
> Bert!).
>
> Doug Rogers (VisualWorks) hooked me up with MioSoft, which was only
> possible because of Smalltalk Solutions!  And so, like I said, I remain
> devout in my belief that the BEST way to work on such problems as I
> describe facing Healthcare is with a dynamic language such as Smalltalk!
>
> Hopefully next year I can report on some progress!
>
> Thank you all for your support,
>
> Rob
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     James Roberson prepared also video of Rob Rothwell's presentation about
>     Smalltalk in Healthcare on Smalltalk Solutions in Reno.
>
>     I looked few minutes so far and all kudos to Rob for that very
>     interesting and well presented talk, which had quite some echo in
>     Smalltalk community, because we are really hungry of experience reports
>     like this one.
>
>     Video smaller
>     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_small.mp4
>     Video large (300M mp4):
>     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_large.mp4
>     Google Video:
>     http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6463332462056589862&hl=en&fs=true
>     <http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6463332462056589862&hl=en&fs=true>
>
>     Slides:
>     ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/rueger-mivsek-aida-scribo-sts08.pdf
>
>     James's blog post:
>     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?entry=3398393139
>
>     And yes, thanks again to James for videotaping the presentation!
>
>     Best regards
>     Janko
>

>     --
>     Janko Mivšek
>     AIDA/Web
>     Smalltalk Web Application Server
>     http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Video of Rob's Smalltalk in Healtcare talk on StS08

Nicolas Petton
Le mardi 09 septembre 2008 à 22:27 +0200, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Rob,
>
> I make quite some thoughts on recent months how to use Aida on the top
> of such domain models you are using. Or more general, on the top of
> relational databases. Giorgio Ferraris also had somehow similar problems
> as you have. On the other side I last used relational databases  more
> than 10 years ago. That's why I probably don't understand the problem
> well enough. But I'm sure Aida can cover RDB domains too. We just need
> to develop an appropriate pattern.

This is exactly the idea behind Scribo-Persistence, even if it works
with SIXX for now.

Cheers!

Nico

> So far for now, I need to look your talk to the end first :)
>
> Janko
>

> Rob Rothwell wrote:
> > Just to follow up on this, I have started simplifying my model, but am
> > still Aida-based for any home-grown solutions I come up with...!  I have
> > gone with SIMPLE and am using a combination of SandstoneDb and the image
> > for my persistance needs at this time in Squeak.
> >
> > I am also exploring some ideas with another Smalltalk-based product from
> > MioSoft (www.miosoft.com <http://www.miosoft.com>), which has a
> > VisualWorks-based product that allows you to graphically describe your
> > model, connect it to any number of data sources of multiple types, and
> > through a process of "continuous integration" add manually entered data
> > through a web interface as desired (to paraphrase the product--thanks
> > Bert!).
> >
> > Doug Rogers (VisualWorks) hooked me up with MioSoft, which was only
> > possible because of Smalltalk Solutions!  And so, like I said, I remain
> > devout in my belief that the BEST way to work on such problems as I
> > describe facing Healthcare is with a dynamic language such as Smalltalk!
> >
> > Hopefully next year I can report on some progress!
> >
> > Thank you all for your support,
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Dear all,
> >
> >     James Roberson prepared also video of Rob Rothwell's presentation about
> >     Smalltalk in Healthcare on Smalltalk Solutions in Reno.
> >
> >     I looked few minutes so far and all kudos to Rob for that very
> >     interesting and well presented talk, which had quite some echo in
> >     Smalltalk community, because we are really hungry of experience reports
> >     like this one.
> >
> >     Video smaller
> >     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_small.mp4
> >     Video large (300M mp4):
> >     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/video/2008/sts/rothwell_large.mp4
> >     Google Video:
> >     http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6463332462056589862&hl=en&fs=true
> >     <http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6463332462056589862&hl=en&fs=true>
> >
> >     Slides:
> >     ftp://ftp.eranova.si/aida/rueger-mivsek-aida-scribo-sts08.pdf
> >
> >     James's blog post:
> >     http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?entry=3398393139
> >
> >     And yes, thanks again to James for videotaping the presentation!
> >
> >     Best regards
> >     Janko
> >

> >     --
> >     Janko Mivšek
> >     AIDA/Web
> >     Smalltalk Web Application Server
> >     http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Video of Rob's Smalltalk in Healtcare talk on StS08

Rob Rothwell
Could I create "data entry forms" dynamically with Scribo-Persistence?  I have a decent concept with Aida right now that I KNOW will work well for what I need--now I just have to get it done!

However, if it's already done...

Rob