Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi,

Diego will take my video camera with him, making it possible to record the
presentations, so we can put them online. He does not want to spend
three days only recording talks though. He would like some volunteers
to record one (or more) sessions each. Any takers?

The idea is to just keep the camera zoomed in on the speaker.
Slides can be separate. Could a tripod be provided locally?
That would be much more comfortable and better for the quality
of the recordings. Will there be enough light on the presenter to
make it worthwhile, or will the room be dark for the beamer?

If the machine with the presentation has ScreenFlow, it would
be possible to merge the video stream with the presentation
and get really slick results. I would be willing to do the editing.

Cheers,
  Stephan

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

jfabry

I cannot go to this event, so I would appreciate these videos A LOT. Excellent initiative, thanks in advance! (Fingers crossed …)

On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Diego will take my video camera with him, making it possible to record the
> presentations, so we can put them online. He does not want to spend
> three days only recording talks though. He would like some volunteers
> to record one (or more) sessions each. Any takers?
>
> The idea is to just keep the camera zoomed in on the speaker.
> Slides can be separate. Could a tripod be provided locally?
> That would be much more comfortable and better for the quality
> of the recordings. Will there be enough light on the presenter to
> make it worthwhile, or will the room be dark for the beamer?
>
> If the machine with the presentation has ScreenFlow, it would
> be possible to merge the video stream with the presentation
> and get really slick results. I would be willing to do the editing.
>
> Cheers,
>  Stephan

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks a lot for the initiative.

Any volunteers? In any case, I think we can find some on the spot.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Camillo Bruni-3
Thanks stephan,

On 2013-03-25, at 15:32, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Diego will take my video camera with him, making it possible to record the
> presentations, so we can put them online. He does not want to spend
> three days only recording talks though. He would like some volunteers
> to record one (or more) sessions each. Any takers?
>
> The idea is to just keep the camera zoomed in on the speaker.
> Slides can be separate. Could a tripod be provided locally?
> That would be much more comfortable and better for the quality
> of the recordings. Will there be enough light on the presenter to
> make it worthwhile, or will the room be dark for the beamer?
>
> If the machine with the presentation has ScreenFlow, it would
> be possible to merge the video stream with the presentation
> and get really slick results. I would be willing to do the editing.

I think I will have to use my own machine for the commandline presentation
(custom terminal font and co..) and I don't have screenflow.

Do you think it will work if I do a screen recording using Quicktime?

Doru wrote:
>Any volunteers? In any case, I think we can find some on the spot.

Even though we can, I'd prefer it if those being there would take
a look at the program and speak up on which session they would
like to record themselves. That way you can make sure you can
have your full attention to the sessions you need to see (because
when you are recording, you tend to focus on other things than the
story being told).

Camillo wrote:
>I think I will have to use my own machine for the commandline presentation
>(custom terminal font and co..) and I don't have screenflow.

Ah, it works on my machine :)

>Do you think it will work if I do a screen recording using Quicktime?

Yes, Screenflow can import quicktime recordings. Just make sure to
use a sensible format, as both enormous files and bad image quality
are annoying. Synchronisation is no problem. ScreenFlow just allows
after-the-fact highlighting/zooming/panning etc.

Cheers,
  Stephan

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Sabine Manaa
Hi,

I was planning to record some sessions for my privat use.
So, I would like to help.
My cam is a Kodak play sport. If someone has better equipment I can also use that.

I will be in Berne at 2 and 3 of April.

The mongoDB Session and the Innovative web-applications with Pharo talk are the most important for me.

Sabine

OK will test first to get a decent setup.

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Tudor Girba-2
Thank you.

Please let us know about how it goes.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Camillo wrote:
>OK will test first to get a decent setup.

That is a good idea (for all presenters). If you can make it into
a 30 second teaser, or even a 6:40/20slide pecha kucha,
we could even publish them already.

Doru: will there be a default presentation machine with screenflow?

Sabine wrote:
>I was planning to record some sessions for my privat use.
>So, I would like to help.
>My cam is a Kodak play sport. If someone has better equipment I can also use
>that.

A multi-cam setup would be great. Being able to switch from question to answer
view helps. That would require one camera to be in front/to the side,
facing the public. I don't know how practical that is with the available room
(and camera zoom).

Stephan

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Ben Coman
I also will have trouble attending from Australia and would appreciate
that.  Also it be good general PR longer term.

I'd be happy to donate a small amount for a few beers for the
volunteers, if there was some mechanism to receive that.  Perhaps the
Association could handle that? Or perhaps the lowest overhead would be
transferring to someone's personal account.

cheers -ben

Johan Fabry wrote:

> I cannot go to this event, so I would appreciate these videos A LOT. Excellent initiative, thanks in advance! (Fingers crossed …)
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Diego will take my video camera with him, making it possible to record the
>> presentations, so we can put them online. He does not want to spend
>> three days only recording talks though. He would like some volunteers
>> to record one (or more) sessions each. Any takers?
>>
>> The idea is to just keep the camera zoomed in on the speaker.
>> Slides can be separate. Could a tripod be provided locally?
>> That would be much more comfortable and better for the quality
>> of the recordings. Will there be enough light on the presenter to
>> make it worthwhile, or will the room be dark for the beamer?
>>
>> If the machine with the presentation has ScreenFlow, it would
>> be possible to merge the video stream with the presentation
>> and get really slick results. I would be willing to do the editing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  Stephan
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Sabine Manaa
Perhaps we can meet the evening before and try the equipment in the real environment.
And having the beer after that;-)

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

vonbecmann
me too
thanks in advance

Bernardo E.C.

On 2013-03-25, at 18:18, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Camillo wrote:
>> OK will test first to get a decent setup.
>
> That is a good idea (for all presenters). If you can make it into
> a 30 second teaser, or even a 6:40/20slide pecha kucha,
> we could even publish them already.

I would If I had time enough ;) paper deadline on wednesday, so until then I
don't have much time at hand.

I did a rough estimation. Using quicktime screen recording in high quality
yields roughly 1GB raw video for 30mins. And the less you move stuff around
on the screen the smaller the video :P. I used a fairly small terminal font
and everything was sharp and readable.

To get a decently compressed video I used the opensource MIRO video converter
        http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/
and exported the whole file as mpg4 compressing roughly by a factor 6. So
that will be ~150MB for 40mins, that should work.

Re: Video registration of Pharo/Moose days

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thanks to everyone! I am moved not only by volume of people stepping up to take care of our community, but the quality of the plans and suggestions. I can't wait to see the videos!
Cheers,
Sean