Videos Pharo talks ESUG 2010/2011

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

The Pharo talks of ESUG 2011 and ESUG 2010 are online:

        ESUG 2011 Pharo RoadMap (missing the a bit at the end, I think)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJfiNQ8zhIE
                        Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/the-pharo-roadmap
        ESUG 2010: Pharo
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-w9wX6RwQ
        Smalltalks 2011
                        Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/pharo-one-year-later
                        Video: Not yet.

      Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Videos Pharo talks ESUG 2010/2011

Cameron Sanders
Thanks for posting those links. I enjoyed seeing what is happening. Pharo is great. (Except for 1.3, which crashes out-of-the-box when I load my packages... -- i am too busy to figure out why right now.)

Two years ago a friend needed an app to demonstrate capabilities at his start-up company. The demo app was simple: 2d display (with a map as the back-drop) with markers on the map illustrating the states & locations of various in-field devices (data pulled from the db, or added graphically to inform the db). I spec'd out the demo, generalizing as much as possible for a quick-n-dirty demo. So maybe I quickly got in to 20 to 30 classes, with not much code in each. I sat down and laid out the basic functioning demo in about 2 weeks in Java. At the end of that period, I thought: why am I using Java/Java-beans/Eclipse? I hate having to type in data-type information all over the place -- and as I get older and my eyes slower, it just slows me down a lot, visually scanning code during editing. So, I went ahead and authored the same functionality in Pharo. It took 2 days. I still do not get the appeal of Java.

I love Pharo and I am willing to contribute. Other than a few tools laying around (e.g. a Sudoku solver that I wrote a few years back) that were never polished (e.g. lacking a GUI), cash is actually the easiest thing for me to contribute.

Question: is this private-public partnership funding situation operational now, or are you still working out the details?

I am using Pharo to write a financial analysis & reporting (only html & csv currently) system that includes a simple (feed-forward) artificial neural-network subsystem and a portfolio simulation system (that can pull in historical fundamental data & simulate a portfolio with various trading rules).

The chances are high that I will need some additional help in February or March for a few weeks. Are there any Smalltalk/Pharo consultants here in New Hampshire, USA? Because this project is going to evolve, and is already too big for me to maintain progress on in my spare time (and yet the app is already critical to our in-house stock research), hiring someone would be our preferred course.

-
Whatever happened to the GUI builder? (Someone named nullset or null<something> was working on?)

In summary, I love Pharo!

Cheers,
Cam

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

[...]

I know that Stef, Marcus and the rest are working in a company/consortium arround Pharo (helped by the french INRIA institute).
But I will let them speak :)

Question: is this private-public partnership funding situation operational now, or are you still working out the details?

I am using Pharo to write a financial analysis & reporting (only html & csv currently) system that includes a simple (feed-forward) artificial neural-network subsystem and a portfolio simulation system (that can pull in historical fundamental data & simulate a portfolio with various trading rules).

Looks interesting :)

The chances are high that I will need some additional help in February or March for a few weeks. Are there any Smalltalk/Pharo consultants here in New Hampshire, USA? Because this project is going to evolve, and is already too big for me to maintain progress on in my spare time (and yet the app is already critical to our in-house stock research), hiring someone would be our preferred course.

I will be busy with my PhD until the end of the next year :(
is remote work possible? (just wondering)

-
Whatever happened to the GUI builder? (Someone named nullset or null<something> was working on?)

In summary, I love Pharo!

Cheers,
Cam

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The Pharo talks of ESUG 2011 and ESUG 2010 are online:

       ESUG 2011 Pharo RoadMap (missing the a bit at the end, I think)
                       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJfiNQ8zhIE
                       Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/the-pharo-roadmap
       ESUG 2010: Pharo
                       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-w9wX6RwQ
       Smalltalks 2011
                       Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/pharo-one-year-later
                       Video: Not yet.

     Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Videos Pharo talks ESUG 2010/2011

> Thanks for posting those links. I enjoyed seeing what is happening. Pharo is great. (Except for 1.3, which crashes out-of-the-box when I load my packages... -- i am too busy to figure out why right now.)

Please let us know because how can we help and fix?
We use 1.3 daily and it works. We are building a company on 1.3 and working hard on 1.4
so gives us feedback.

> Two years ago a friend needed an app to demonstrate capabilities at his start-up company. The demo app was simple: 2d display (with a map as the back-drop) with markers on the map illustrating the states & locations of various in-field devices (data pulled from the db, or added graphically to inform the db). I spec'd out the demo, generalizing as much as possible for a quick-n-dirty demo. So maybe I quickly got in to 20 to 30 classes, with not much code in each. I sat down and laid out the basic functioning demo in about 2 weeks in Java. At the end of that period, I thought: why am I using Java/Java-beans/Eclipse? I hate having to type in data-type information all over the place -- and as I get older and my eyes slower, it just slows me down a lot, visually scanning code during editing. So, I went ahead and authored the same functionality in Pharo. It took 2 days. I still do not get the appeal of Java.

coud we see it :)?

> I love Pharo and I am willing to contribute.

Thanks

> Other than a few tools laying around (e.g. a Sudoku solver that I wrote a few years back) that were never polished (e.g. lacking a GUI),

Report precsise bugs,
Send emails like that one,
sign the license agreement
are some ways to contribute :)

> cash is actually the easiest thing for me to contribute.

We are setting a consortium and people will be able to financially contribute. I will send a separate mail to get some feedback from the community.

> Question: is this private-public partnership funding situation operational now, or are you still working out the details?

We are working with laywers :)

> I am using Pharo to write a financial analysis & reporting (only html & csv currently) system that includes a simple (feed-forward) artificial neural-network subsystem and a portfolio simulation system (that can pull in historical fundamental data & simulate a portfolio with various trading rules).
>
> The chances are high that I will need some additional help in February or March for a few weeks. Are there any Smalltalk/Pharo consultants here in New Hampshire, USA? Because this project is going to evolve, and is already too big for me to maintain progress on in my spare time (and yet the app is already critical to our in-house stock research), hiring someone would be our preferred course.

Send a separate email :)
We love love to create such a kind of relationship and ecobusiness :)

> -
> Whatever happened to the GUI builder? (Someone named nullset or null<something> was working on?)

I do not know.
What we look at is the following:
        - how can we reuse the logic go the widgets and their composition?
        We play with 4 classes to understand.
        Because in the UI builder you need
                - Widget placement
                - Saving and rebuilding it once you close it
                - reusing the UI logic of one part in another (for example I plug together a list and a button how can I plug this behavior in another one)
                => sub canvas technology in VW.

        So we will slowly continue to play with idea there to see.

> In summary, I love Pharo!

Thanks

> Cheers,
> Cam
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Pharo talks of ESUG 2011 and ESUG 2010 are online:
>
>        ESUG 2011 Pharo RoadMap (missing the a bit at the end, I think)
>                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJfiNQ8zhIE
>                        Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/the-pharo-roadmap
>        ESUG 2010: Pharo
>                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-w9wX6RwQ
>        Smalltalks 2011
>                        Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusDenker/pharo-one-year-later
>                        Video: Not yet.
>
>      Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Videos Pharo talks ESUG 2010/2011

Cameron Sanders
Steph,

Please let us know because how can we help and fix?
We use 1.3 daily and it works. We are building a company on 1.3 and working hard on 1.4
so gives us feedback.

Sure. I'll give it a try again, and see *when* the problem occurs -- the whole app disappeared when the bug(s) were tickled, with my Mac (snow leopard) simply telling me that Pharo died.

> Two years ago a friend needed an app to demonstrate capabilities at

coud we see it :)?

Ummm... maybe. I have to see if works. If not, I have no time to tweak it. That would have the spring of 2009 (or maybe 2008!), and Pharo has definitely evolved since then. My smalltalk code at that time was probably very suboptimal -- so i too have definitely evolved since then.

Nothing fancy: 2d display with little symbols (squares) of various colors, which would update according to state changes in the DB, and then you could right click and use a menu option to invoke a state change. And for the prototype, the db was simply an in-memory model. So I think i set up threads that would automatically change states of the devices, etc., so that it looked like a real world app.

Report precsise bugs,
Send emails like that one,
sign the license agreement
are some ways to contribute :)

Great. Yes, I should sign that license!

> Question: is this private-public partnership funding situation operational now, or are you still working out the details?

We are working with laywers :)

Great!

Send a separate email :)
We love love to create such a kind of relationship and ecobusiness :)

I will send out an email when we are closer to hiring.

Priorities for me: easy GUI building, simple PDF generation, simple DB connectivity, and continued cross-platform portability... including mobile one day!

Cheers,
Cam

Re: Videos Pharo talks ESUG 2010/2011

Stéphane Ducasse

http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/licenseDocuments/PharoSoftwareDistributionAgreement.pdf

> > Question: is this private-public partnership funding situation operational now, or are you still working out the details?
>
> We are working with laywers :)
>
> Great!
>
> Send a separate email :)
> We love love to create such a kind of relationship and ecobusiness :)
>
> I will send out an email when we are closer to hiring.
>
> Priorities for me: easy GUI building, simple PDF generation, simple DB connectivity, and continued cross-platform portability... including mobile one day!

for pdf generation did you see the framework christian haidler open-source it in VW?