View composer - update / refresh sub-views

View composer - update / refresh sub-views

Edward Stow
Hello all,

Using D6 Community edition.

It's probably very simple but not obvious to me at the moment.  I have
created a composite presenter subclassed from ValuePresenter.  My
composite presenter is used in a DocumentShell presenter.

The default view on my composite presenter is a ContainerView that
contains several basic widgets - lists, labels etc.

My problem is that the View Composer does not display the latest
revision of the ContainerView - it only shows the ContainerView as it
was when originally painted onto the ShellView.

So each time I make changes to my ContainerView I have to manually
'refresh' the Shell view by deleting the container from the Shell and
dragging it back onto the Shell view.

Should the VC automatically update to reflect changes in its sub-views?
Or am I missing something obvious.

--
Edward Stow

Re: View composer - update / refresh sub-views

Ian Bartholomew-22
Edward,

>So each time I make changes to my ContainerView I have to manually
>'refresh' the Shell view by deleting the container from the Shell and
>dragging it back onto the Shell view.

If you hold the Alt key down while dragging the container onto the
shell then it will be added as a reference view.

>From the Dolphin help ...

"Common Operations

If you use a normal drag operation from the toolbox, you will create a
copy of the dropped view. Often it is useful to use an Alt-drag
operation, which will drop a reference to the view being dragged into
the view being composed. Reference views are reloaded from their
original templates each time they are opened."
--
Ian

Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> Edward,
>
> >So each time I make changes to my ContainerView I have to manually
> >'refresh' the Shell view by deleting the container from the Shell and
> >dragging it back onto the Shell view.
>
> If you hold the Alt key down while dragging the container onto the
> shell then it will be added as a reference view.
>
> From the Dolphin help ...
>
> "Common Operations
>
> If you use a normal drag operation from the toolbox, you will create a
> copy of the dropped view. Often it is useful to use an Alt-drag
> operation, which will drop a reference to the view being dragged into
> the view being composed. Reference views are reloaded from their
> original templates each time they are opened."
> --
> Ian

Thanks, I knew it had to be something simple...

Re: View composer - update / refresh sub-views

Tim M
Hi Ian,

> If you hold the Alt key down while dragging the container onto the
> shell then it will be added as a reference view.

I didn't know this either and it had been bugging me too! I wonder why this
isn't the default behavior - from my point of view its how I expected it
to work and was suprised like Edward.

Tim