Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

erikgj
Is there a way to view pdf file inside VisualWorks. I have a series of pdf file the I would like to display in a window in a visualwork app that I am writing. I realize that I can open an external app to do this from VW but it would be cleaner to contain it in VW.

Re: [vwnc] Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

Antony Blakey-2
You could ask Cincom to support an embedded WebBrowser, like this: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/antony/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=PDF_support_in_WebKit_in_VW&entry=3375919446
.

Or you could do that embedding yourself. It's not hard to embed WebKit
on OSX, other platforms may be more work.

On 01/11/2008, at 11:24 PM, erikgj wrote:

> Is there a way to view pdf file inside VisualWorks. I have a series
> of pdf
> file the I would like to display in a window in a visualwork app
> that I am
> writing. I realize that I can open an external app to do this from
> VW but it
> would be cleaner to contain it in VW.

Antony Blakey
-------------
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I
don't know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was
"Madam, so does a cow".
   -- Carl Kirkendall

Re: [vwnc] Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

Maarten Mostert-2
If you are on Windows you can check out smallcom from Joseph at
http://www.joops.com/

I think it comes on the VW CD as an example.

@+Maarten,

> You could ask Cincom to support an embedded WebBrowser, like this:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/antony/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=PDF_support_in_WebKit_in_VW&entry=3375919446
> .
>
> Or you could do that embedding yourself. It's not hard to embed WebKit
> on OSX, other platforms may be more work.
>
> On 01/11/2008, at 11:24 PM, erikgj wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to view pdf file inside VisualWorks. I have a series
>> of pdf
>> file the I would like to display in a window in a visualwork app
>> that I am
>> writing. I realize that I can open an external app to do this from
>> VW but it
>> would be cleaner to contain it in VW.
>
> Antony Blakey
> -------------
> CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
> Ph: 0438 840 787
>
> It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I
> don't know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was
> "Madam, so does a cow".
>   -- Carl Kirkendall

> 16:10

Re: [vwnc] Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

erikgj
Thanks for the input. I am reviewing my options. I am working on windows so smallcom is a good idea thanks. I have seen Joop packages but was unaware that they can display pdfs through com.

Maarten Mostert wrote
If you are on Windows you can check out smallcom from Joseph at
http://www.joops.com/

I think it comes on the VW CD as an example.

@+Maarten,

> You could ask Cincom to support an embedded WebBrowser, like this:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/antony/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=PDF_support_in_WebKit_in_VW&entry=3375919446
> .
>
> Or you could do that embedding yourself. It's not hard to embed WebKit
> on OSX, other platforms may be more work.
>
> On 01/11/2008, at 11:24 PM, erikgj wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to view pdf file inside VisualWorks. I have a series
>> of pdf
>> file the I would like to display in a window in a visualwork app
>> that I am
>> writing. I realize that I can open an external app to do this from
>> VW but it
>> would be cleaner to contain it in VW.
>
> Antony Blakey
> -------------
> CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
> Ph: 0438 840 787
>
> It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I
> don't know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was
> "Madam, so does a cow".
>   -- Carl Kirkendall

> 16:10

Re: [vwnc] Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

Alan Knight-2
I'll note that we plan to be able to support embedding ActiveX controls in 7.7.

Maarten Mostert wrote:

> If you are on Windows you can check out smallcom from Joseph at
> http://www.joops.com/
>
> I think it comes on the VW CD as an example.
>
> @+Maarten,

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Viewing a pdf inside VisualWorks?

James Robertson-7
And, as soon as there's code I can work with, there will be a screencast :)

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Maarten Mostert wrote:

> If you are on Windows you can check out smallcom from Joseph at
> http://www.joops.com/
>
> I think it comes on the VW CD as an example.
>
> @+Maarten,

giorgiof
It will be very welcomed!

ciao

Giorgio

Maarten Mostert wrote:

> If you are on Windows you can check out smallcom from Joseph at
> http://www.joops.com/
>
> I think it comes on the VW CD as an example.
>
> @+Maarten,

Bear in mind that you can get this right now using ObjectStudio 8 - which you have as a Cincom Smalltalk customer.  I did a screencast on that here: