Virtual Desktops in Polymorph

Torsten Bergmann
>Run second image? (joking)  :)
>Run RFBServer on a shared image and everybody connects with a VNC client ??

That's like: You can print out a copy of you screen and have the
printed paper beside your laptop ;)

Hey - maybe I was not clear enough:
When I currently work with Pharo I switch to full screen
it is like an OS to me with it's own window manager
(here  Morphic/Polymorph). Unfortunately there is only
one World/Desktop/Screen with windows - but I want more
than one and an easy way to switch between them.

So instead of

    Pharo image -> World with many windows
    Pharo image -> #(World with many windows, World with many windows, ...)

>i'm building a new IDE for Pharo
>It is still in development, but i included the idea of workspaces

The idea is not new - Eclipse has a workspace concept - but this
is running within one window (which is clonable in Eclipse by the way).
VisualWorks Refactoring Browser has something similar - with switchable
views within one browser. And yes, Bubbles is not bound to a single window.

But I'm talking about "switchable screens" (switchable
arrangements of windows and morphs) and not bound to the IDE.

Better said I would like to see something similar to Linux virtual
desktops or win32 utilities like http://techblissonline.com/virtual-desktop-for-windows-dexpot/

Bye
T.

Re: Virtual Desktops in Polymorph

laurent laffont
A solution is SeasideXUL http://code.google.com/p/seasidexul/  as the windows are handled by your window manager. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfSh4pAbdM

But you lose a lot of tools and interactivity.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Run second image? (joking)  :)
>Run RFBServer on a shared image and everybody connects with a VNC client ??

That's like: You can print out a copy of you screen and have the
printed paper beside your laptop ;)

Hey - maybe I was not clear enough:
When I currently work with Pharo I switch to full screen
it is like an OS to me with it's own window manager
(here  Morphic/Polymorph). Unfortunately there is only
one World/Desktop/Screen with windows - but I want more
than one and an easy way to switch between them.

So instead of

   Pharo image -> World with many windows
   Pharo image -> #(World with many windows, World with many windows, ...)

>i'm building a new IDE for Pharo
>It is still in development, but i included the idea of workspaces

The idea is not new - Eclipse has a workspace concept - but this
is running within one window (which is clonable in Eclipse by the way).
VisualWorks Refactoring Browser has something similar - with switchable
views within one browser. And yes, Bubbles is not bound to a single window.

But I'm talking about "switchable screens" (switchable
arrangements of windows and morphs) and not bound to the IDE.

Better said I would like to see something similar to Linux virtual
desktops or win32 utilities like http://techblissonline.com/virtual-desktop-for-windows-dexpot/

Bye
T.

Re: Virtual Desktops in Polymorph

> But I'm talking about "switchable screens" (switchable
> arrangements of windows and morphs) and not bound to the IDE.

would be cool.
I'm ready to try any solution that is working well :)
and help to write faster code.

Re: Virtual Desktops in Polymorph

George Herolyants-3
2010/3/16 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
> But I'm talking about "switchable screens" (switchable
> arrangements of windows and morphs) and not bound to the IDE.

Yes. That would be cool. I think it even could be implemented as
different native windows, each with it's own World, but all tied to
the same environment. I guess it would be great to use with multiple
displays.

George