Virtual Memory Usage

1 message Options

Virtual Memory Usage

Esteban A. Maringolo-3
Hi:

        Monitoring my applications with SysInternal's Process Explorer
<www.sysinternals.com> I see something I don't understand very well.

        The "Virtual Size" of my running images (development or runtime),
is very large, more than 4 times the size of the private bytes used.
But other applications doesn't have same private / virtual size
ratio (except a personal Oracle9i).

        It happens with Dolphin (about 8x), Visual Smalltalk (x5) and VAST
(x4), so i assume it is related to the way smalltalk applications
works in general.

        By the other hand, the private bytes used is inverse to the ratio,
it is Dolphin consumes less private bytes than VS, and VS less than
VAST.

        Can anybody explain why this is this way, and if it has some
implications?

        Best regards.

--
Esteban