Virtual System Window

Gary Dunn
Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from a host GUI systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a simple shell capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: Virtual System Window

Andreas.Raab
Gary Dunn wrote:
> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from a host GUI systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a simple shell capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.

I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote
machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package
which implements the VNC protocol.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Virtual System Window

Gary Dunn
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:06:59 -0800 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from
> a host GUI
> systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a
> simple shell
> capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>
> I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote
> machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package
> which implements the VNC protocol.

Thanks, Andreas. I will do that. Remember how Windows when it was new could overcome missing functionality by running apps like MultiMate and Lotus 1-2-3 in a window? That's what I want for Squeak except extended to support X.

Gary Dunn wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:06:59 -0800 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from
>> a host GUI
>> systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a
>> simple shell
>> capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>>
>> I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote
>> machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package
>> which implements the VNC protocol.
>
> Thanks, Andreas. I will do that. Remember how Windows when it was new could overcome missing functionality by running apps like MultiMate and Lotus 1-2-3 in a window? That's what I want for Squeak except extended to support X.

Well, if you're trying to go X only, you can probably check how some of
the fancy new 3D window manager handle offscreen rendering of
applications to support compositing and do something similar instead of
using VNC.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Virtual System Window

Casey Ransberger
I haven't had time to try it, but here's an approach I'd like to try.
If you beat me to it, I will buy you a beer!

Squeak on X11 is an X11 client application. Here's the hook: so is
your re-parenting window manager. Check out the sources for a minimal
re-parenting window manager like AEWM. Most of the C code can be
rewritten in Squeak. Since a window manager is just a client like any
other app in X11 land, it follows that we should be able to implement
one in Squeak. Then, Squeak can replace the window management role in
the X11 ecosystem, and you'll have firefox running in a SystemWindow,
along with any other X11 app that your heart desires.

It's a bit of work, though. Could be pretty powerful, all the same.

On Monday, February 8, 2010, Gary Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:06:59 -0800 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from
>> a host GUI
>> systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a
>> simple shell
>> capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>>
>> I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote
>> machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package
>> which implements the VNC protocol.
>
> Thanks, Andreas. I will do that. Remember how Windows when it was new could overcome missing functionality by running apps like MultiMate and Lotus 1-2-3 in a window? That's what I want for Squeak except extended to support X.
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> [hidden email]
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Ron

Re: Virtual System Window

Chris Muller-3
I am very interested in Gary's question too.  I've long wanted a
"FirefoxMorph" that is, basically, just the "content area" of the
firefox (or any decent browser) window, as a plain rectangle which
could be embedded into another Morph.  Of course, I would want the
FirefoxMorph to give me access to the browser via a minimal Smaltalk
API for operating the FirefoxMorph, but they would simply be forwarded
to a real running Firefox executable.

Such a thing could allow great integration of the web _within_ the
Squeak environment.

Forget whether something like this is available now; I'm sure it
isn't.  But it is even *possible*?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:06:59 -0800 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> a host GUI
>>> systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found
>>> simple shell
>>> capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>>>
>>> I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote
>>> machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package which
>>> implements the VNC protocol.
>>
>> Thanks, Andreas. I will do that. Remember how Windows when it was new
>> could overcome missing functionality by running apps like MultiMate and
>> Lotus 1-2-3 in a window? That's what I want for Squeak except extended to
>> support X.
>
> Well, if you're trying to go X only, you can probably check how some of the
> fancy new 3D window manager handle offscreen rendering of applications to
> support compositing and do something similar instead of using VNC.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: Virtual System Window

Igor Stasenko
On 17 February 2010 21:25, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am very interested in Gary's question too.  I've long wanted a
> "FirefoxMorph" that is, basically, just the "content area" of the
> firefox (or any decent browser) window, as a plain rectangle which
> could be embedded into another Morph.  Of course, I would want the
> FirefoxMorph to give me access to the browser via a minimal Smaltalk
> API for operating the FirefoxMorph, but they would simply be forwarded
> to a real running Firefox executable.
>
> Such a thing could allow great integration of the web _within_ the
> Squeak environment.
>
> Forget whether something like this is available now; I'm sure it
> isn't.  But it is even *possible*?

I like this idea very much.
Unfortunatelly, what can be done on one platform, can meet very hard
complications on another one :(

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Virtual System Window

Josh Gargus

On Feb 8, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> a host GUI
>>> systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a
>>> simple shell
>>> capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>>>
>>> I think what you've seen in Cobalt was based on VNC access to a remote machine. If that's what you're looking for check out the RFB package which implements the VNC protocol.
>> Thanks, Andreas. I will do that. Remember how Windows when it was new could overcome missing functionality by running apps like MultiMate and Lotus 1-2-3 in a window? That's what I want for Squeak except extended to support X.
>
> Well, if you're trying to go X only, you can probably check how some of the fancy new 3D window manager handle offscreen rendering of applications to support compositing and do something similar instead of using VNC.

You might also ping Lawson English, who seems to be doing something similar in the opposite direction (drawing into a bitmap with Squeak, and copying the results to an X pixmap in another process).

Cheers,
Josh

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: Virtual System Window

K. K. Subramaniam
On Thursday 18 February 2010 12:55:42 am Chris Muller wrote:
> I am very interested in Gary's question too.  I've long wanted a
> "FirefoxMorph" that is, basically, just the "content area" of the
> firefox (or any decent browser) window, as a plain rectangle which
> could be embedded into another Morph.
What you are looking for is a Squeak equivalent of vncserver or tiny x server
(see http://www.xfree86.org/current/TinyX.1.html). Then you can get firefox to
operate within a morph.

Such a program is possible and feasible though I don't know of anyone who has
built one. Do see the last para of
http://desk.org:8080/CampSmalltalk/A%20Smalltalk%20X%20Server

Subbu

Re: Virtual System Window

Tony Garnock-Jones-2
Gary Dunn wrote:
> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from a host GUI systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a simple shell capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.

I could have sworn I once saw a Croquet demo with this feature. It had
an X application running as a texture on a polygon in the world. Can
anyone provide pointers to how this was done?

Tony

Re: Virtual System Window

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
>> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from a host GUI systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a simple shell capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>
> I could have sworn I once saw a Croquet demo with this feature. It had
> an X application running as a texture on a polygon in the world. Can
> anyone provide pointers to how this was done?

I guess it used RFB.

Levente

> Tony

Re: Virtual System Window

Josh Gargus

On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:59 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
>
>> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> Does Squeak have a class that provides a window with content coming from a host GUI systcm app such as Firefox? I see something like that in Cobalt. I found a simple shell capability but nothing that can display a windowed app.
>>
>> I could have sworn I once saw a Croquet demo with this feature. It had
>> an X application running as a texture on a polygon in the world. Can
>> anyone provide pointers to how this was done?
>
> I guess it used RFB.

That's correct.

Cheers,
Josh