VisualAge Smalltalk 8.6

Dusty-2
Hi All

Just thought I'd share my first experience with 8.6
We've just purchased a license for 8.6, thanks Instantiations.

The multipart forms thing is working beautifully. I've tested it and implemented it in our application.
Packaging is still a itchy b, but it appears to work past the old Pragma bugs that I was experiencing.
I can now successfully package my seaside application, and it works!

I love coloured syntax highlighting in workspaces and debugger. Wonderful!
The whole environment is much faster (didya do summin? cause yay!).

I like the new installer and the way it handles images, image creation, etc. Very useful.

I've informed my boss at Inspired! that he's got his money's worth with this release!

Many Thanks to Instantiations for their continued efforts with VisualAge Smalltalk.

Kind Regards
Dusty
Gareth Cox
Software Developer at Inspired!

Re: VisualAge Smalltalk 8.6

John O'Keefe-3
Hi Dusty -

I'm happy you like what we did for VA Smalltalk 8.6 -- it is always nice to hear positive feedback about the team's hard work.

Yes, the packager is still a challenge for all of us. But it is getting better, a little bit at a time.

I can't say what is causing VA Smalltalk to run much faster for you -- we made some small improvements, but nothing that I think would be that noticeable. Please let us know if, over time, it gets slower again -- this might be a clue to what the difference is.

John