VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release candidate for their 8.0 product.

We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0. If you are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this thread or privately via email.

Thanks,
Richard Sargent

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Dennis smith-4
I would think eventually -- but likely a year down the road

On 2014-08-28 2:36 PM, Richard Sargent wrote:

> Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release candidate
> for their 8.0 product.
>
> We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0. If you
> are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this
> thread or privately via email.
>

> Thanks,
> Richard Sargent

Dennis Smith
Cherniak Software Development Corporation
Phone  416.798.7948 ext 314
Email  [hidden email]

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Hi Richard,

Thanks for asking.

We will stick with VW 7.9.x for at least another year, hopefully longer. Our goal is to move to GemStone 3.2.2 using an up to date Red Hat Enterprise Linux version on new hardware soon, which is much more important for us.

Regards,

Alex

Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release candidate for their 8.0 product.

We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0. If you are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this thread or privately via email.

Thanks,
Richard Sargent

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please

E-mails are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender
contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities
or related financial instruments.

UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected
and accessed only in legally justified cases.

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Richard,

Any news on when VW 8.0 will be supported?
There a number of dev tool improvements we are looking forward to using.

Thanks,
Bob Nemec

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:36 PM, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release candidate
for their 8.0 product.

We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0. If you
are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this
thread or privately via email.

Thanks,
Richard Sargent

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Gee wiz -- they must have had at least 20min to look at it :)

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Gemstone/S mailing list wrote
Gee wiz -- they must have had at least 20min to look at it :)
We've been looking at their release candidates since I posted the original message in this thread. :-)

On 2014-12-11 11:03 AM, via GemStone-Smalltalk wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Any news on when VW 8.0 will be supported?
> There a number of dev tool improvements we are looking forward to using.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Nemec
>

> On Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:36 PM, Richard Sargent
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release
> candidate
> for their 8.0 product.
>
> We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0.
> If you
> are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this
> thread or privately via email.
>

> Thanks,
> Richard Sargent

Dennis Smith
Cherniak Software Development Corporation
416.798.7948  x308

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Gemstone/S mailing list wrote
Richard,
Any news on when VW 8.0 will be supported?There a number of dev tool improvements we are looking forward to using.
Thanks,Bob Nemec
Bob, we've been looking at it for a while. There are substantial changes in it affecting GBS.

One of the things I want to see added to our new website is a road map for each product. Our current schedule has us supporting VW 8.x in the latter part of next year (2015).

I'd be interested in hearing more about your plans for VW8.0 deployment, and what schedule constraints you have. You're our second customer to show *any* interest in VW8.0.

     On Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:36 PM, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Those of you using VW are probably aware that Cincom has a release candidate
for their 8.0 product.

We are wondering how aggressively our customers plan to move to 8.0. If you
are willing to share your thoughts with us, feel free to respond to this
thread or privately via email.

Thanks,
Richard Sargent

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Richard,
We use VW as the Seaside server, with no domain code, so we don't care about the UI changes.
Here is what we're interested in is... (as copied from their web site)
  • Text2 and SourceCode Editor 2 - anything would be better than the current editor
  • Major improvements to WSDL 2.0 / SOAP 1.2 to handle updated protocols - we're looking at a number of third party integrations using web services; the less hassle with that the better
  • Store II improvements from Foundation - Store is painfully slow for us; we're hoping this helps
  • Comparison Tool and Merge Engine
  • Garbage Collection Performance Improvements
Bob

On 12/11/2014 09:35 AM, via GemStone-Smalltalk wrote:

> Richard,
> We use VW as the Seaside server, with no domain code, so we don't care
> about the UI changes.
> Here is what we're interested in is... (as copied from their web site)
>
>   * Text2 and SourceCode Editor 2 - anything would be better than the
>     current editor
>   * Major improvements to WSDL 2.0 / SOAP 1.2 to handle updated
>     protocols - we're looking at a number of third party integrations
>     using web services; the less hassle with that the better
>   * Store II improvements from Foundation - Store is painfully slow for
>     us; we're hoping this helps
>   * Comparison Tool and Merge Engine
>   * Garbage Collection Performance Improvements

Hi Bob,

This is an odd list. I did find the page where most of these were listed
as VW 8.0 enhancements. However, many of them do not show up in the 8.0
release notes.

Text2 and the SourceCode Editor 2 are definitely new in 8.0. Most of the
rest appear to be from a post in 2010 about VW 7.7.1:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/2010/08/internationalization-project-manager/

except the GC performance work, which was done primarily in VW7.8.

So some wires are crossed somewhere. Maybe they're my wires, and if
you've got better information I'd love to hear it, but right now it
seems that if you're running VW7.10.1, you've got most of your list
already, and are fully supported from a GBS standpoint.

That said, if you want to try out VW8.0 we want to help you do that. If
you're willing to test out some pre-alpha GBS versions, we expect to
have something that works with VW8.0 in early 2015, and if you open an
HR with support and request the that, we'll get it to you as soon as
it's ready.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Martin,
There is no rush on our part. As per Lourens' post: I can work on patching our 7.10.1 image.
If GBS was going to support VW 8.0 soon I would not bother.

Thanks,
Bob

On 12/12/2014 06:38 AM, via GemStone-Smalltalk wrote:
> Martin,
> There is no rush on our part. As per Lourens' post: I can work on
> patching our 7.10.1 image.
> If GBS was going to support VW 8.0 soon I would not bother.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't seem to have Lourens' post -- did it
perhaps go to just you and not the list?

Please keep us informed on how your experiments go. We're very
interested in tracking customer demand for VW 8.0 use with GemStone.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: VisualWorks 8.0 release candidate

Gemstone/S mailing list
Any news on VW 8.0 GBS support? Noticed that VW 8.0.1 was announced.

As Martin said before:
"That said, if you want to try out VW8.0 we want to help you do that. If
you're willing to test out some pre-alpha GBS versions, we expect to
have something that works with VW8.0 in early 2015, and if you open an
HR with support and request the that, we'll get it to you as soon as
it's ready."

At this point, we do not have a release date for GBS supporting VW 8.0.