VisualWorks and GLASS

Ted Wrinch
Hi Dale,

What's the situation with Gemstone and VisualWorks these days? In a note you wrote from around '07 you said that it was only provided in the VW commercial release and that there were problems moving code between Pharo, VW and Gemstone as VW did not support Monticello. There's a reasonably recent Monticello version in the VW public repository  (Jan 11)  so I assume that that's no longer such an issue? But I guess platform port problems would remain and that one would need to use Grease?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I loaded up the rather nice Georg Heeg SeaBreeze web UI builder that is available for VW. It uses Seaside and I like it so much that I'm considering using VW for development (there doesn't seem to be a release for Pharo beyond 08).

T.

Ted Wrinch

Re: VisualWorks and GLASS

Dale Henrichs
Ted,

There is no GemTools implementation for VW (OmniBrowser would have to be ported to VW). The free commercial license does not enable traversal buffers which are needed for GBS. This means that there is no easy (completely free) way use VW as a direct development environment for GLASS...

Development licenses can be purchased from VMware that would allow you to use GBS for development and the free commercial license for deployment.

Another alternative would be to use SeaBreeze in VW to create your Seaside components and then use Monticello to export the Seaside components to GLASS. If SeaBreeze uses Grease to generate portable code, then moving the components to GLASS should be relatively straight forward. Unfortunately, I have heard mixed reports about how hard/easy it is to use Monticello to export/manage code between VW and GLASS...I don't think that the support for Monticello in VW is quite up to that available in GemStone/Pharo/Squeak. I haven't heard reports of anyone (other than the Seaside support folks within Cincom) using Monticello for their own VW/Pharo/GLASS projects, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

None of this discussion takes into account VW development licensing issues of which I am completely ignorant.

So there are licensing issues and possible technical problems that still remain.

Dale

| What's the situation with Gemstone and VisualWorks these days? In a
| note you
| wrote from around '07 you said that it was only provided in the VW
| commercial release and that there were problems moving code between
| Pharo,
| VW and Gemstone as VW did not support Monticello. There's a
| reasonably
| recent Monticello version in the VW public repository  (Jan 11)  so I
| assume
| that that's no longer such an issue? But I guess platform port
| problems
| would remain and that one would need to use Grease?
|
| The reason I'm asking these questions is that I loaded up the rather
| nice
| Georg Heeg SeaBreeze web UI builder that is available for VW. It uses
| Seaside and I like it so much that I'm considering using VW for
| development
| (there doesn't seem to be a release for Pharo beyond 08).
|
| T.
|
| Ted Wrinch

Re: VisualWorks and GLASS

Ted Wrinch
Hi Dale,

I am happy to licence from VMWare if that is necessary as I think SeaBreeze will save me enough time to make that worthwhile. I feared that what you said might be the case with Monticello - what Kent Beck called the Balkanisation of Smalltalk a year and a half ago or so. But it seems to me that the need for all parties to support Seaside is helping bridge the gaps a little :). I'll ask the Heeg people what they think about porting SeaBreeze to Gemstone - I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they are supposed to support Gemstone.

Cheers,

T.

Ted Wrinch