Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

kilon.alios
I already mentioned this in Github issues but here is my take on this

I vote for the complete removal of the Seaside chapter for several reasons

a) Its not a begineer orientated chapter as is the focus of this book
b) its not general purpose as is the focus of this book
c) far harder to keep this updated constantly which again is the focus of this book, since not many of us use seaside
d) It already has its own book and its own documentation which we can easily refer to.

e) Its not even part of Pharo standard distribution

So I vote for the complete removal of this chapter so we have one less thing to worry about updating and since its my personal opinion that it does not fit the general character of this book.

I would like your thoughts  on this since its a big change.

Re: Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 19-10-15 19:54, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> I already mentioned this in Github issues but here is my take on this
>
> I vote for the complete removal of the Seaside chapter for several reasons
>
> a) Its not a beginner orientated chapter as is the focus of this book

I just took a look. It definitely is a beginner oriented chapter.

> b) its not general purpose as is the focus of this book

I'm afraid building web applications should be considered general
purpose these days. And Seaside provides a very simple way to quickly
build well-structured complex web applications.

> c) far harder to keep this updated constantly which again is the focus of
> this book, since not many of us use seaside

Hmm. It is very easy to keep updated, as Seaside is very stable. I don't
know how many people on this list are currently using Seaside, but a
very large part of them have used Seaside.

> e) Its not even part of Pharo standard distribution

Hey! Finally we have some code that can be safely loaded and unloaded...

Stephan

Re: Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

stepharo
I would not remove it.
It is there simple and oscar uses it in his lectures.
I do not see why this is a problem. I think that this is good to show
that we can do some sexy/simple  web dev

Stef

Le 19/10/15 19:54, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :

> I already mentioned this in Github issues but here is my take on this
>
> I vote for the complete removal of the Seaside chapter for several
> reasons
>
> a) Its not a begineer orientated chapter as is the focus of this book
> b) its not general purpose as is the focus of this book
> c) far harder to keep this updated constantly which again is the focus
> of this book, since not many of us use seaside
> d) It already has its own book and its own documentation which we can
> easily refer to.
>
> e) Its not even part of Pharo standard distribution
>
> So I vote for the complete removal of this chapter so we have one less
> thing to worry about updating and since its my personal opinion that
> it does not fit the general character of this book.
>

> I would like your thoughts  on this since its a big change.

Re: Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

kilon.alios
as i said also in the github issue, I wont be removing it since you guys want it in.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would not remove it.
It is there simple and oscar uses it in his lectures.
I do not see why this is a problem. I think that this is good to show
that we can do some sexy/simple  web dev

Stef

Le 19/10/15 19:54, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
> I already mentioned this in Github issues but here is my take on this
>
> I vote for the complete removal of the Seaside chapter for several
> reasons
>
> a) Its not a begineer orientated chapter as is the focus of this book
> b) its not general purpose as is the focus of this book
> c) far harder to keep this updated constantly which again is the focus
> of this book, since not many of us use seaside
> d) It already has its own book and its own documentation which we can
> easily refer to.
>
> e) Its not even part of Pharo standard distribution
>
> So I vote for the complete removal of this chapter so we have one less
> thing to worry about updating and since its my personal opinion that
> it does not fit the general character of this book.
>

> I would like your thoughts  on this since its a big change.

Re: Voting for removing Seaside chapter from UPBE

stepharo
cool

Stef